Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2008, 09:52 AM   #886
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
Yes on '07..

Quote:
Originally Posted by IND GS
Yes the antenna installed is the one with the new part number. When I went to the dealer to buy the part and gave the old part number, it came out with the new part number as the old part number is no longer available, well at least here in Asia. My GS has a production date of 11/06. Does it make it a '07 ?
My bike was built about the same period..'07 GSA...

Also ask your dealer/mechanic if they actually know if the "new" antenna is indeed a new design...or just a re-numbered part..

Thanks...
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:37 AM   #887
IND GS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
According to the parts guy at the dealer in Singapore where I bought the antenna, the old part has been replace with the new part number, all bikes sold there could file a warranty claim on the antenna. Unfortunately my bike was imported directly from Germany so I am not eligible for the claim. I don't know if this is the case in the US.
IND GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:05 AM   #888
yamak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
just paid for my new 07 1200gs, included in the sale is a new pn key ring for my tool kit, of all the bikes i have owned in 45 years of riding it felt strange asking for an rfid antenna instead of a set of spark plugs !!!!! old school rider.
yamak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:23 AM   #889
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
You got a spare EWS antenna in the tool kit? Was that a BMW addition or something the dealer tossed in? Or did you just pay for it yourself along with the initial purchase?
motoreiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:58 AM   #890
yamak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
they actually included it in the deal i made on the bike when i told them i wasn't confident that the bike wouldn't dump me this summer in a remote area, in my mind it was a condition of sale .
yamak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 07:56 AM   #891
IND GS
Adventurer

Second EWS Failure !! Help

I was putting on my stebel horn and had to cut the wires from the old horn to put on the connectors for the stebel and everthing was going well and it worked well also, and suddenly another EWS! signal appeared on the dash ! I had replaced the EWS antenna recently and had no problems until changing the horn. Is there any relation to the cut wires and the EWS ? I was very careful in cutting the wires not to touch anything else. Any thoughts ? Is there something that needs to be reset ? Thanks for any inputs. I have a '07 GS.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:00 AM   #892
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,152
It depends on how you wired in your stebel horn. Did you use a relay? Did you move or push the EWS ring wires around? Sounds kinda fishy that it would happen like that unless you did something.

Then again, it could be a coincidence.

Jim

PS Why did you cut your horn wires?
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:31 AM   #893
niccoIndy
Not so noob?

Oddometer: 161
stebel recommends not wiring it to the old horn circuit because it draws to much current. You instead need to use the old horn circuit to trigger a relay which controls the new circuit to the Stebel.
niccoIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:34 AM   #894
IND GS
Adventurer

I had to use the spade connectors for the new horn which is different from the original horn. I probably touched the EWS wires but didn't move them much as they were pretty tight. Did the new horn trigger a fault which made the EWS fault ? Its pretty late here and I probably will be doing more tinkering tomorrow. Thanks.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:34 AM   #895
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by niccoIndy
stebel recommends not wiring it to the old horn circuit because it draws to much current. You instead need to use the old horn circuit to trigger a relay which controls the new circuit to the Stebel.
Correct! Unfortunately there are some who have done it, and one I know who swears it is fine! Not me, mine is properly relayed, and I never cut the harness.

Jim
Old 02-05-2008, 08:38 AM   #896
IND GS
Adventurer

Bluhduh

Ahh..so probably I would need to get a new horn harness and get it properly wired. I will try to reinstall the old horn tomorrow, connect the old wires properly and see if it will work again. Otherwise I would need to get a new wiring harness.....
Old 02-05-2008, 08:44 AM   #897
ylexot
Super Genius

Oddometer: 780
Quote:
Ahh..so probably I would need to get a new horn harness and get it properly wired. I will try to reinstall the old horn tomorrow, connect the old wires properly and see if it will work again. Otherwise I would need to get a new wiring harness.....
You could just try unplugging the Stebel.
ylexot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:45 AM   #898
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
NO.

First, disconnect the Stebel horn, then actually try to start the bike. If it doesn't start, disconnect the battery for 10 seconds and try again.

If that doesn't work, take a good look around at your wiring, it is likely you knocked something loose.

Cutting the horn wires should not effect the running of the bike, or EWS. More likely you did something else you didn't realize you did, and since you have already changed the antenna it is possible it is not fully connected again, or the wires going to it may be damaged.

Jim
Old 02-05-2008, 08:57 AM   #899
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,408
Whats the proximity of the new horn to the EWS antennae? Is it possible that the presumably bigger magnets in the Stebel are interfering with the antennae ring?

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 09:05 AM   #900
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,302

It's Voodoo.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote