Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-25-2007, 08:11 AM   #91
Pir8te
over forty victim of fate

Oddometer: 1,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Bob,

What you describe above sounds like your KEY might be failing. On a dual sport ride last month, a guy on a new GS ADV got the EWS off the beaten track, on a dirt trail.. just as we were about to tackle a steep quad track. The dealer who had organized the ride was there and he said he had had a few EWS ring antenna failures and a couple of keys go bad. He said the key symptoms was an intermittent EWS message, then the bike would work. Always carry a spare.

And short of reprogramming the BMS-K computer at the factory, there's no way to defeat or disable the immobilizer..
Ricardo has it right on this one how may GS have been stolen not many in my opinion as useless as tits on a bull and mine has early breast cancer

Now to my point
I have an intermittent failure and it seems to occur at the most inopportune times with no pattern that I can think of I am bringing the bike in for a new antenna tomorrow (part finally in)
If I get a spare what is involved in replacing the EWS and is it a road side repair if EWS dies or is there any computer programing involved to read the new antenna?
Pir8te is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:22 AM   #92
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,660
Let us know what you find out about the new antenna, if it can be a self installed job or is there some computer work involved.

My dealer said an intermittent problem on some cases turned out to be the key that needed to be replaced who knows..

The GS is hardly ever stolen.. and even if it was, I'd still opt not to have this stuff on my bike.
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:00 AM   #93
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
Quote:
Let us know what you find out about the new antenna, if it can be a self installed job or is there some computer work involved.

My dealer said an intermittent problem on some cases turned out to be the key that needed to be replaced who knows..

The GS is hardly ever stolen.. and even if it was, I'd still opt not to have this stuff on my bike.
it has to be done at the dealer
not a DO IT YOURSELF job

BMW better get rid of this ridiculous feature soon
there have been COUNTLESS RING ANTENNA FAILURES
this and the "we're only going to give you 1 metal key for your 22K investment" is such bullshit
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:26 AM   #94
Beeming
Itchy Feet

Oddometer: 636
BMW better get rid of this ridiculous feature soon
there have been COUNTLESS RING ANTENNA FAILURES
this and the "we're only going to give you 1 metal key for your 22K investment" is such bullshit[/quote]

Totally agreed. 1 key for one of the most expensive bikes made mean there are some idiots still entrenched within BMW staff. Who's idea was it to sell a bike with a spare plastic key? Why plastic anyway?...

Tads
07 GS1200ADV (History), 2008 Oz Trike, 93 FLHS HD, 83 XLH HD(Missus Bike), 97 GSX-R-600(Ex SuperSport Race Bike), 97 XR-400, 74 Norton Commando Mk II(Ex Post Classic race Bike), 06 DT-175, 82 CB-250, 02 VMoto. Work to Ride, Ride to Work
http://wwf.org.au/ourwork/species/
...Adventure before Dementia...
Beeming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 12:22 PM   #95
caycek5
Bionic Man, got Ti

Oddometer: 1,883
I was wondering about this fault the other day while I was wrenching on my bike. I have not had this fault yet or ever (depends on how you want to look at it), but I was wondering if the GS911 could pull up the fault code and let you clear it if it truly was an intermitant code error not an actual problem with the key or antena. I have no idea if it would work, just a thought I had. I supose I could go to the GS911 site to ask there.
caycek5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 12:48 PM   #96
GB
Mod Squad

The GS911 won't clear an EWS fault. The BMS-K bike computer has to have the proper code or it won't allow the bike to start.

Now.. if only the folks at GS911 can write a program that allows us to load thru the GS911 and permanently cancel the immobilizer function.. That's what I'd likem / someone to do.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:24 PM   #97
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,161
Quote:
The GS911 won't clear an EWS fault. The BMS-K bike computer has to have the proper code or it won't allow the bike to start.

Now.. if only the folks at GS911 can write a program that allows us to load thru the GS911 and permanently cancel the immobilizer function.. That's what I'd likem / someone to do.
I would pay up to $500 for that unit!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 06:22 PM   #98
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden

Jim
me, too
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
Old 06-25-2007, 06:26 PM   #99
GB
Mod Squad

So, if each of you is willing to pay $500 for someone to come up with a program that will bypass the immobilizer, so that's $1000 right here, plus there will be others., we could quickly have the GS Immobilizer Bypass Challenge Contest.. let the computer geeks go for it.. first to beat the system wins the money!!
Old 06-25-2007, 07:20 PM   #100
gpothoven
whatever

Oddometer: 2,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden

Jim

Seems to me we all paid about $20,000 for a unit that shouldn't have the issue to begin with. When will BMW listen???!!! FFFF^%$^%CCCCC^%*^%*!!!!!!! They just drive me nuts some times. I LOVE the bike, I really do, but sometimes this little stuff just pisses me off. Either BMW doesn't have a feedback system worth a crap to trace what is going wrong with their product, or as I suspect, they've doen the math, and just dont give a rat's ass.
gpothoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:33 PM   #101
Adrian 8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
The new 07 GS would NOT start with the spare key...the strange thing.. after it sat in the parking lot for about 2 days it decided to start on the first morning the dealer was open..as I said they drilled one out of a new bike....The owner had tried to start it many times and ..no go...This is a major bullshit item...if someone is going to steal a bike they don't give a damn about a key. This is just a disaster waiting to happen with no fix available...
Adrian 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:10 AM   #102
Gum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
Hp2

This is not good, does the the Hp2 have this wonderfull option. How could anyone in Australia put up with this. We have one dealer here, if I travel 9 [850 kms ] hours East there is another, 36 hours west [ 2500 kms ] another and 15 hours north [ 1500 kms ] another. What do you do in between ????. At least with cars here when this option fails, you turn the ignition on, wait around 30 mins and the system is over ridden. Thanks Gum.
Gum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:59 AM   #103
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian 8
The new 07 GS would NOT start with the spare key...the strange thing.. after it sat in the parking lot for about 2 days it decided to start on the first morning the dealer was open..as I said they drilled one out of a new bike....The owner had tried to start it many times and ..no go...This is a major bullshit item...if someone is going to steal a bike they don't give a damn about a key. This is just a disaster waiting to happen with no fix available...
1. i'm not sure what you mean about "DRILLING ONE OUT OF A NEW BIKE"

2. this has been going on for almost 3 years.... that's the WORST THING ABOUT IT.....
BMW has done NOTHING to fix this 3-YEAR OLD PROBLEM

very very embarrassing
Old 06-26-2007, 07:22 AM   #104
GB
Mod Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gum
This is not good, does the the Hp2 have this wonderfull option. .
Yes, the HP2 has it and Enduro racer Jimmy Lewis who was racing one in Baja had an EWS error and could no longer race.

BMW must track the number of spare parts sold and warranty claim parts used. We hear about EWS issues here but what is the general failure rate? No one knows for sure.

And unless the option to bypass the system is offered from the factory, there's nothing you can do start the bike. The only advantage of the immobilizer is if the bike is stolen it can only be used for parts.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:01 AM   #105
Pir8te
over forty victim of fate

Oddometer: 1,448
Quote:
The only advantage of the immobilizer is if the bike is stolen it can only be used for parts.

The parts are worth more than the sum total in many cases so where is the up side to this
Pir8te is offline   Reply With Quote