View Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-29-2008, 05:45 PM   #1066
sspect
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
That does make me feel secure...

That part number does not come up in the online parts catalogs....must be dealers only.
sspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 06:20 PM   #1067
warden
2008 R1200GSA Adv-Broken

Oddometer: 188
Doesn't come up on any I know, but honestly, most of the ones listed in the FAQ only have at most an 06? listed, however I think Max's shows the 207 part.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:26 AM   #1068
Duane1969
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagesk
Check ou thte GSpot FAQ. Or to state it differently: This question has been asked before

[TaSK]
That's it.

Tagesk......thank you very much!!!!

There is some great information in that (FAQ) section.

Regards,

Duane
Duane1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:01 AM   #1069
BMW Kurt
Taker of Pictures

Oddometer: 10,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSG2G
Harley lore has had us Harley riders hang alittle cast bell under the bike - supposedly to scare away evil and keep bad karma and what not away from the bike. While I guess you could buy your own bell, custom has it that another should give you the bell.

BMW riders apparently never latched on to the whole bell thing, or much of the other lore that seems indiginous to Harley, but it would appear as though these spare/extra EWS antennas could be the BMW equivalent of the Harley rider's bell. In keeping with this long standing tradition and in deference to the lore, I ordered one for my buddy who got me roped into this whole BMW deal.

Next time you see a Harley with a little cast bell hung under its frame ...
I have one of those bells on my R80RT. The bell DOES NOT work unless it is a gift. I am pretty sure that I have the most current bell. However I have heard from at least three other riders that their bell has failed. I am sure this equates to hundreds of riders left stranded with outdated bells. It works like a "charm" on my R80!!!!
BMW Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 06:52 PM   #1070
javas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Pissed it just happened to me the EWS thing.

I stoped on a gas station to get something to drink after putting the first 171 miles on my new, 2 day old, R1200GS Adventure 08 and when I try to start it the I got the EWS! message on my display. Luckily I was about 50 miles from home so I had someone to rescue me. I wasn´t really worried, I mean something electrical that fails on the first use is not that strange. Hopefully the dealer has the spare for this.
javas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 07:29 PM   #1071
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,744

Quote:
Originally Posted by javas
I wasn't really worried, I mean something electrical that fails on the first use is not that strange.
Exactly. It's relatively common on a BMW product.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 07:33 PM   #1072
pastor passum
Reverend Noob

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
You know, come to think of it, I'm wondering about maybe just hanging a Biker's Bell under the GS. Hey, it's kept my Harleys from leaving stuck over many, many years and countless opportunities for "Road Tales."

Most likely because of the bell, my anti-theft discs, pucks, whatever you call them fob things you get with a Harley have never failed me, but if they do - I just use the code on the card in my wallet and use the left and right directional signal switches to get around the disabler thing-a-ma-whatchie whatever. Das vunderbar I tell you!
Forget it. The bell doesn't work on BMW gremlins . Although I don't believe in them, I was given one when I first purchased my '05 GS. Not wishing bad luck on myself or my bike I installed the bell. This is my 4th BMW in almost 300,000 miles and honestly the first to ever leave me stranded. First with the fuel pump module (trucked 120 miles to a dealer) and then a final drive seal puked it's guts after 800 miles of a 6,500 mile trip (trucked almost 200 miles to a dealer). So much for ride bells
pastor passum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:14 PM   #1073
xlcr
Stop being a dick, dick.

Oddometer: 4,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastor passum
Forget it. The bell doesn't work on BMW gremlins . Although I don't believe in them, I was given one when I first purchased my '05 GS. Not wishing bad luck on myself or my bike I installed the bell. This is my 4th BMW in almost 300,000 miles and honestly the first to ever leave me stranded. First with the fuel pump module (trucked 120 miles to a dealer) and then a final drive seal puked it's guts after 800 miles of a 6,500 mile trip (trucked almost 200 miles to a dealer). So much for ride bells
xlcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:59 AM   #1074
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,744

Quote:
...my anti-theft discs, pucks, whatever you call them fob things you get with a Harley have never failed me, but if they do - I just use the code on the card in my wallet and use the left and right directional signal switches to get around the disabler thing-a-ma-whatchie whatever. Das vunderbar I tell you!
I'm betting we're going to find that there's something like that Harley feature to disable the BMW EWS. Except maybe the disable 'code' is the same on all their bikes.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:36 AM   #1075
hapbob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 633
I went

After reading this thread on/off for past month...I decided I need a spare for my 07...went to dealer on Saturday and asked service manager how many he has seen go bad...he said "2 in past year and half...????" I left without one...Is this the same part# set-up on the Rt and other BMWs? If so this is a very low % I'm guessing...But I would by-pass it if I had the option...
Hap
Retired USAF
hapbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 04:29 AM   #1076
Whiskey Tango
Formerly "GSG2G"

Oddometer: 532
Pastor Possum,

I do not believe in them either - but they are fun. Knowing that the hairs on our head are numbered, that not a sparrow falls from the sky without being accounted for and knowing that the universe was created and kept in alignment is enough for me.

The question of course is: is it enough for the BMW EWS system??
'09 KLR 650 - Black Ops Black R.I.P.
'04 H-D Heritage Softtail - Daytona Special
Drive Medical Design & Manuf. 9-spoke

Many, many formers; some R.I.P.

All Will Die But Not All Will Live

1*
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:46 AM   #1077
bmwhd
God Bless Texas

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoreiter
WTF? So heading into the fourth (?) different design and still having this kind of problem?

BMW's silence on this problem, and seeming inability to fix it, is puzzling to me and bound to negatively effect their brand image.

Even if there is not in fact any "problem" and the rear drive failures are within acceptable failure rates (which for this kind of part should be VERY low), why wouldn't they pipe up with some kind of statement/information to that effect? I think that internet rumors (if nothing else) are about to bite them in the ass.
Fixed for ya

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:05 AM   #1078
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,321
Considering that I plan on being in a few places where a tow truck might have some problems getting to, I just ordered one. The 136 version.

Of course, they'll come out with an even newer "won't break" version next month.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:16 AM   #1079
supaparty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapbob
Can I understand....So If I have a spare ring and my plastic key...if/when I get EWS error I unplug the old ring and plug in the new...Put the plastic key near the new...the solid key is still in ignition and the code will read and the bike will start. Then I tuck away the extras and the bike will run untill I shut it off again...Am I clear on this procedure I am 200 miles from Dealer and this sounds like a spare option I can't do with out?
That's exactly right. When you get the spare antenna ring, practice doing this in the garage and be sure to carry a T10 torx in your tool kit to remove the cover over the installed antenna ring. Try starting the bike with antenna ring unplugged and you'll see the EWS error on the screen. Turn the key to the off-position, plug in the spare ring with the plastic key next to it, and then turn the ignition key on. The bike starts right up. This whole procedure only takes a couple of minutes - practice in the garage and take the "mystery" out of doing this on the trail.
'99 WR400 (Dual sport bike)
supaparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 11:45 AM   #1080
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,199
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaparty
That's exactly right. When you get the spare antenna ring, practice doing this in the garage and be sure to carry a T10 torx in your tool kit to remove the cover over the installed antenna ring.
You'll find a picture showing the setup in the GSpot FAQ.

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote