Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2008, 04:00 PM   #1081
TKP_CGY
Mid-Life Crisis Time

Oddometer: 79
Question Plastic Key? What for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaparty
That's exactly right. When you get the spare antenna ring, practice doing this in the garage and be sure to carry a T10 torx in your tool kit to remove the cover over the installed antenna ring. Try starting the bike with antenna ring unplugged and you'll see the EWS error on the screen. Turn the key to the off-position, plug in the spare ring with the plastic key next to it, and then turn the ignition key on. The bike starts right up. This whole procedure only takes a couple of minutes - practice in the garage and take the "mystery" out of doing this on the trail.
What does the plastic key have to do with anything ... I just unplugged the screwed antenna ring, plugged in the new one, turned the key on and held the new ring over the key ... then started the bike.

Once the bike was started I unplugged the good one and put it in my pocket ... it doesn't have to remain plugged in once the bike has been started.

TKP
'03 F650GS
TKP_CGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:28 PM   #1082
supaparty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
The wiring harness is quite short and I tried several times and could not get the spare antenna ring close enough to the ignition key for it to pick up a signal, therefore I used the plastic key inside the spare antenna ring and turned the standard ignition key to start the bike. It sounds like there is more than one part number out there for ring antennas, and perhaps some are more sensative than others, who knows. My spare is part number 61357714207.
'99 WR400 (Dual sport bike)
supaparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:17 AM   #1083
scibeer
Lost

Oddometer: 898
Having the spare plastic key attached to the spare antenna ring makes it easier to start and stop the bike if you aren't heading straight to the dealer.
scibeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:42 AM   #1084
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,104
What Is The Number For "4th" Version?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaparty
The wiring harness is quite short and I tried several times and could not get the spare antenna ring close enough to the ignition key for it to pick up a signal, therefore I used the plastic key inside the spare antenna ring and turned the standard ignition key to start the bike. It sounds like there is more than one part number out there for ring antennas, and perhaps some are more sensative than others, who knows. My spare is part number 61357714207.
Read that a 4th version of ring antenna is inroute to dealers...what is that part number?
Wallowa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:43 AM   #1085
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,080
Another Twist That I Never Tested

I posted a reply somewhere in this threadfest about trying a spare key/or the plastic key. I didn't do it, some have with the SAME EWS results.

BUT, seems I read somewhere in the USER MANUAL to make sure the spare key is nowhere near the antenna ring?

Anyone become AWARE of their spare (e.g. I keep mine in my wallet) being too close e.g. Tankbag, removing the spare from anywhere NEAR the antenna ring, and then the EWS failure eliminated????
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:48 AM   #1086
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar
I posted a reply somewhere in this threadfest about trying a spare key/or the plastic key. I didn't do it, some have with the SAME EWS results.

BUT, seems I read somewhere in the USER MANUAL to make sure the spare key is nowhere near the antenna ring?

Anyone become AWARE of their spare (e.g. I keep mine in my wallet) being too close e.g. Tankbag, removing the spare from anywhere NEAR the antenna ring, and then the EWS failure eliminated????
It would have to be closer than that. I always carry my spare key in the breast pocket of my jacket. Never an issue.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:48 AM   #1087
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
Read that a 4th version of ring antenna is inroute to dealers...what is that part number?
Don't think that part number is out yet; the latest (the third?) I believe is the 136 number posted above, but supposedly someone's dealer told him that a new part is coming. Could be just rumor, might want to stick with the 136, the 207, or whatever the initial part number was...
motoreiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:52 AM   #1088
Whorepedo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Quote:

When i brought mine in with the problem that was the first thing the guy asked me... "Do you keep your spare key near the antenna?" He said it has confused a few bikes. Whether thats truly the problem or not i have no idea, just what the guy told me.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:18 PM   #1089
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whorepedo
When i brought mine in with the problem that was the first thing the guy asked me... "Do you keep your spare key near the antenna?" He said it has confused a few bikes. Whether thats truly the problem or not i have no idea, just what the guy told me.
IMO, there's just so much confusion surrounding the antenna ring issue that the fact or fiction bucket is indeed overflowing.

I respect everyone's opinion, and Jim (JVB) I'm not convinced your key in your jacket pocket eliminates the possibility of another person's key in their topcase, not having some issue. Too many variables.

If indeed there are soon to be 3 (2 or 4) different versions of the antenna ring seems to me that perhaps even BMW is wandering/looking for the solution e.g. not the ring, maybe the key, maybe the ecu, maybe some spurious emission from the alternator? F*k...at this juncture seems it could be anything. IMO, until BMW could consistently replicate the problem then they cannot arrive at a solution. Likely, putting Band-Aids on the problem will solve most of the problems and over time, WTF know, it may just go away if we are lucky!
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:40 PM   #1090
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Really well put, John. I couldn't agree more.
NBeener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:45 PM   #1091
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,136
I also carry my metal spare key in my left pocket and it has never been an issue.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:04 PM   #1092
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,527
Quote:
IMO, there's just so much confusion surrounding the antenna ring issue that the fact or fiction bucket is indeed overflowing.

I respect everyone's opinion, and Jim (JVB) I'm not convinced your key in your jacket pocket eliminates the possibility of another person's key in their topcase, not having some issue. Too many variables.

If indeed there are soon to be 3 (2 or 4) different versions of the antenna ring seems to me that perhaps even BMW is wandering/looking for the solution e.g. not the ring, maybe the key, maybe the ecu, maybe some spurious emission from the alternator? F*k...at this juncture seems it could be anything. IMO, until BMW could consistently replicate the problem then they cannot arrive at a solution. Likely, putting Band-Aids on the problem will solve most of the problems and over time, WTF know, it may just go away if we are lucky!
Good points John.

I agree one or two testimonials doesn't mean fact.

That said, there have been some run both keys on the keychain for over a year with no issue.

Still, RFID is not that sensitive, and airspace of over 12" is usually enough, especially since the ring antenna would likely be directionally biased towards the key.

Then again, I could be all wet!

I guess no one of us really know's, and BMW isn't telling.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:37 PM   #1093
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,735

Quote:
If indeed there are soon to be 3 (2 or 4) different versions of the antenna ring seems to me that perhaps even BMW is wandering/looking for the solution e.g. not the ring, maybe the key, maybe the ecu, maybe some spurious emission from the alternator?
Releasing several different new part numbers is a technique of Cointelpro. It doesn't fix anything, but it creates a number of people stating that "The new part works."

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:40 PM   #1094
Whiskey Tango
Formerly "GSG2G"

Oddometer: 532
That's what I like - informative meaningful responses!

Dear XXXXXXX:

Thank you for contacting BMW of North America, LLC regarding your BMW. We were sorry to read of the concerns you have with your vehicle.

We do not have the ability to advise you in a technical matter via e-mail. I suggest contacting the service team at your authorized BMW center directly, so they can review your concerns in person and provide technical support. Should you need it, you will find a complete listing of authorized centers, categorized by name, state, or ZIP code, on our website at www.bmwusa.com.

We are sorry we could not answer your question directly. If you have any further questions, please respond to this e-mail or contact the Customer Relations and Services Department at 1-800-831-1117, Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time. Again, thank you for contacting BMW.

Sincerely,

Melinda Sabo
Customer Relations and Services
Representative

-----Original Message-----

Sent: 4/1/2008 12:00:00 AM
To: bmwagcom@bmwusa.com
Subject: Re: EWS failure???

>From: "XXXXXXXXXXXXX"
>To: "BMW Customer Service" <Customer.Service@bmw.com>
>Subject: Re: EWS failure???
>Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 07:06:44 -0400
>
>XXXXXXX
>XXXXXXX
>XXXXXXX

To: <customer.service@bmw.com>
Subject: EWS failure???
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 20:10:52 -0400
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="----=_NextPart_000_002B_01C8910F.D29C6160"
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal

How does one go about disconnecting the EWS anti-theft "feature?"

I would much prefer the relatively remote risk of theft compared to the
horribly threatening (and real threat, I might add) of an EWS failure
stranding me in an inopportune location and at an inopportune time.

I really want to opt out of this so-called feature.

Thanks in advance for the awaited reply.
'09 KLR 650 - Black Ops Black R.I.P.
'04 H-D Heritage Softtail - Daytona Special
Drive Medical Design & Manuf. 9-spoke

Many, many formers; some R.I.P.

All Will Die But Not All Will Live

1*
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:39 PM   #1095
xlcr
Stop being a dick, dick.

Oddometer: 4,895
Quote: