Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-08-2008, 02:39 PM   #1111
johnjen
Mod-U-Later

Oddometer: 14,835
You guys do realize that the dealership parts ordering software will automatically substitute the latest P/N. This of course assumes that they are online and receive the latest updates in a 'timely' manner, but even so BMW will only ship what they have in inventory.

JJ
Old 04-08-2008, 02:43 PM   #1112
supaparty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen
You guys do realize that the dealership parts ordering software will automatically substitute the latest P/N. This of course assumes that they are online and receive the latest updates in a 'timely' manner, but even so BMW will only ship what they have in inventory.

JJ
That's what happened to me. I ordered using the old part # but they shipped me the new one.
'99 WR400 (Dual sport bike)
supaparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:28 PM   #1113
scibeer
Lost

Oddometer: 893
I just had mine replaced last week. They ordered the -207 part number and got the -136 part which seems to be the newest version shipping right now.
scibeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:32 PM   #1114
scibeer
Lost

Oddometer: 893
You don't need the extention to swap the rings. There's enough room to unplug the old one and attach the new one on without the extention. Carry a ziptie and spare key and you're all taken care of.
scibeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:12 PM   #1115
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,842
Ah But What Is Different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scibeer
I just had mine replaced last week. They ordered the -207 part number and got the -136 part which seems to be the newest version shipping right now.
Has anyone heard, other than something written on a restroom wall, what changes [if any!] have been made with these new part numbered antenna?

I may pop for one...since I do a lot of riding off road and alone...
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:10 AM   #1116
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
Has anyone heard, other than something written on a restroom wall, what changes [if any!] have been made with these new part numbered antenna?

I may pop for one...since I do a lot of riding off road and alone...
BMW hasn't said. My parts guy tried to find out but couldn't get an answer.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:24 PM   #1117
Richard M
Doesntplaywellwithothers

Oddometer: 547
New one coming

I have the -136 on my 3/08 GSA & one as a spare,my dealer has told me a new unit which will superceed the -136 will be here in Aus next week.
Cheers
Richard
Richard M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 05:21 PM   #1118
Richard M
Doesntplaywellwithothers

Dealer Just called it's available

Dealer just called 5min ago new ring latest version has just been fitted to my bike will pick up bike tomorrow I will try to get latest part number & post it.
Cheers
Richard
Old 04-09-2008, 07:13 PM   #1119
Richard M
Doesntplaywellwithothers

Spoke to the service boys

New Ring fitted and ends with -247 that is the latest part available to dealers here in Aus.
cheers
Richard
Old 04-10-2008, 04:29 AM   #1120
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard M
New Ring fitted and ends with -247 that is the latest part available to dealers here in Aus.
cheers
Richard
Could you, please, try to read the full number for us to enjoy?

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:18 AM   #1121
tyrannosaurus_mex
Roaming the Earth

Oddometer: 98
Can we think of a million ways to keep this damn thread going? I just spoke to one of my local dealerships and they seem to think it's not so much the part number but how the antennas are installed...esentially pointing to the wires wearing due to tie wraps being too tight (or poorly positioned) and the constant turning of the handle bars. Has anyone else heard this. Nonetheless, they are going to replace mine. I just want to know how insistent I need to be on the part number.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:21 AM   #1122
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrannosaurus_mex
Can we think of a million ways to keep this damn thread going? I just spoke to one of my local dealerships and they seem to think it's not so much the part number but how the antennas are installed...esentially pointing to the wires wearing due to tie wraps being too tight (or poorly positioned) and the constant turning of the handle bars. Has anyone else heard this. Nonetheless, they are going to replace mine. I just want to know how insistent I need to be on the part number.
Seems as of right now the damn problem is part number independent! FWIW, the whole issue reminds me of Louis Carroll's: Through the Looking Glass/Alice in Wonderland. I think it was the hare..."If you don't know where you are going any direction will do!"
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:54 AM   #1123
dtop1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,305
Quote:
If it were the wires then plugging in a new antenna wouldn't solve the problem. Dan
Old 04-16-2008, 08:07 AM   #1124
tyrannosaurus_mex
Roaming the Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtop1
If it were the wires then plugging in a new antenna wouldn't solve the problem. Dan
Aren't the wires part of the harness that comes with a new antenna? The actual plug sits a few inches below the antenna mount and the wire is tie wrapped to the column (for lack of a better word). It's the constant twisting at the tie wrap locations that actually damages the wires running from the antenna itself to the plug. (According to the tech I spoke to)

Unless I'm missing something, that's how it appears on my bike. I think some of the posts on this thread even suggest keeping tie wraps with your spare antenna so that it doesn't just hang there until your able to mount it properly.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:37 AM   #1125
tyrannosaurus_mex
Roaming the Earth

Quote:
Aren't the wires part of the harness that comes with a new antenna? The actual plug sits a few inches below the antenna mount and the wire is tie wrapped to the column (for lack of a better word). It's the constant twisting at the tie wrap locations that actually damages the wires running from the antenna itself to the plug. (According to the tech I spoke to)

Unless I'm missing something, that's how it appears on my bike. I think some of the posts on this thread even suggest keeping tie wraps with your spare antenna so that it doesn't just hang there until your able to mount it properly.
Just spoke to the service department again and he claims once they've mounted the new antenna (apparently they're routing and tying the wire differently) they haven't had one come back). Leads me to wonder if those who haven't had a problem (YET) should CAREFULLY remove the wire ties and CAREFULLY retie them in such a manner to reduce friction and give the wire a little more play?