Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-16-2008, 09:26 AM   #1126
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,169
Gotta Love This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrannosaurus_mex
Just spoke to the service department again and he claims once they've mounted the new antenna (apparently they're routing and tying the wire differently) they haven't had one come back). Leads me to wonder if those who haven't had a problem (YET) should CAREFULLY remove the wire ties and CAREFULLY retie them in such a manner to reduce friction and give the wire a little more play?
OK...so you absolutely trust your dealership and the fact that they alone have figured this out? None have come back since their wonder cure?

Wish that it was true...that would make the "fix" simple...but why is BMW then pumping our "new" [or same part with new numbers?] antenna?

Notwithstanding what they feed you, I personally would insist on the latest antenna iteration from BMW...whether or not that is worth a damn only time will tell, but why settle for an antenna that has been superseded? Simply so someone can dump the stocks of the old ones?

Just my opinions..
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:36 AM   #1127
tyrannosaurus_mex
Roaming the Earth

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
OK...so you absolutely trust your dealership and the fact that they alone have figured this out? None have come back since their wonder cure?

Wish that it was true...that would make the "fix" simple...but why is BMW then pumping our "new" [or same part with new numbers?] antenna?

Notwithstanding what they feed you, I personally would insist on the latest antenna iteration from BMW...whether or not that is worth a damn only time will tell, but why settle for an antenna that has been superseded? Simply so someone can dump the stocks of the old ones?

Just my opinions..
The antenna I'm getting is a different part number from my original and was just delivered this week (so I am told). I went looking for the part there on Saturday and they didn't have it in stock.

I don't think anyone knows for sure what the actual causes of this thing are, but so far this one makes the most sense. Antennas going bad seem to be tough to swallow. Wires getting twisted and frayed because they're too tight and constantly moving with each turn of the bars, well, this is a little more logical.

Hey, they antennas may in fact be bad. I never insinuated that they weren't. However, if the dealership is running the wire differently and trying to give it as much play and as little "rub" as possible, this seems like a wise thing to do even if you haven't had a problem thus far.

I don't trust anyone more than anyone else that I don't know personally. I simply try to get all the information available whether it's from these forums, actual conversations and yes even the dealers and then make as informed a decision as possible.

I'd hate to be the poor slob that got a "new" part and still ended up stranded because is was the way the wire was tied all along. The more we can do to minimize the risk of this fault happening again the better off we are, no?
Old 04-16-2008, 09:43 AM   #1128
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,370
If it's the wires, replacing the antenna isn't gonna solve anything, since there are no wires on the antenna at all. The antenna has a plug in terminal where the bike's harness plugs into it.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:49 AM   #1129
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
If it's the wires, replacing the antenna isn't gonna solve anything, since there are no wires on the antenna at all. The antenna has a plug in terminal where the bike's harness plugs into it.
True enough, but ...

If it's (at least partly) the wires, and if (at least one of) the problem is a minor "open" (slight break within a wire that's been tied too tightly, and/or flexed too much), then it could be a truly intermittent electrical issue (like so many others).

If that were the case (just speculating here, but ... that's all anybody (including BMWNA ) seems to be doing), then a replacement ring could /seem to have/ fixed the problem, while the problem could really survive several iterations of replacement antenna rings.

Clear as mud?
NBeener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 10:01 AM   #1130
tyrannosaurus_mex
Roaming the Earth

Quote:
Sorry guys, I thought the ring also came with a harness that was plugged in down below. And those carrying spares would just plug the spare into the plug while leaving the original ring in place until it could be removed. My impression was that there was a ring that had a travel wire and a plug. It's this wire I am referring to. If it's only the ring riders are carrying then now I am really confused!
Old 04-16-2008, 10:04 AM   #1131
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,370
there are no wires at all coming out of the ring antenna.. the wiring harness is on the bike and you unplug it from the antenna, so that theory is highly unlikely, and if it was a broken wire, the second antenna would fail just as soon as you wiggled the wires a bit.

I did decide to err on the side of caution and did buy a spare for my long distance trip this summer to the west, not that I'm going to be out of touch with civilization, but just in case it happens, I can get myself going right away. The spare plugs into the existing harness which I would unplug from the stock antenna, I'd insert the spare key into the spare antenna, start the bike, and ride off.. should this ever happen to me, but given the highish miles on my bike now, I doubt it will.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:10 AM   #1132
tyrannosaurus_mex
Roaming the Earth

Quote:
there are no wires at all coming out of the ring antenna.. the wiring harness is on the bike and you unplug it from the antenna, so that theory is highly unlikely, and if it was a broken wire, the second antenna would fail just as soon as you wiggled the wires a bit.

I did decide to err on the side of caution and did buy a spare for my long distance trip this summer to the west, not that I'm going to be out of touch with civilization, but just in case it happens, I can get myself going right away. The spare plugs into the existing harness which I would unplug from the stock antenna, I'd insert the spare key into the spare antenna, start the bike, and ride off.. should this ever happen to me, but given the highish miles on my bike now, I doubt it will.
10-4 Thanks! If I see or hear anything different this weekend I'll be sure to post. Count me among those that was sorely displeased when this happened to me the week before last. Incidently Bob's BMW in Maryland (for those in the area) is having their annual GS Day. Maybe I'll get to chat with others that have had this happen as well. I might get myself into trouble walking up to everyone's bike and jotting down their part number!
Old 04-16-2008, 11:34 AM   #1133
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrannosaurus_mex
10-4 Thanks! If I see or hear anything different this weekend I'll be sure to post. Count me among those that was sorely displeased when this happened to me the week before last. Incidently Bob's BMW in Maryland (for those in the area) is having their annual GS Day. Maybe I'll get to chat with others that have had this happen as well. I might get myself into trouble walking up to everyone's bike and jotting down their part number!
Yeah, make sure you bring your GS all clean and shiney. He has a contest for that!

I might go muddy for the fun of it, if I am up to riding bt Saturday!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:34 PM   #1134
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBeener
True enough, but ...

If it's (at least partly) the wires, and if (at least one of) the problem is a minor "open" (slight break within a wire that's been tied too tightly, and/or flexed too much), then it could be a truly intermittent electrical issue (like so many others).

If that were the case (just speculating here, but ... that's all anybody (including BMWNA ) seems to be doing), then a replacement ring could /seem to have/ fixed the problem, while the problem could really survive several iterations of replacement antenna rings.

Clear as mud?
Don't worry Neil, I'm picking one up Friday so if your bike gets stranded I'll loan you mine.

'Course it'll cost ya . . .
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:35 PM   #1135
ylexot
Super Genius

Oddometer: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
Yeah, make sure you bring your GS all clean and shiney. He has a contest for that!

I might go muddy for the fun of it, if I am up to riding bt Saturday!

Jim
Maybe I'll go to Morton's, pick up my brand new bike, and ride it straight to Bob's
ylexot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:20 PM   #1136
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS
Don't worry Neil, I'm picking one up Friday so if your bike gets stranded I'll loan you mine.

'Course it'll cost ya . . .
....long as it doesn't come out of my coffee-mooching budget

Hey, GB: I hear what you're saying, but ... if'n there's any cutting ... or any way that replacing the antenna ring takes the tension off whatever wire could be stretching/pinched ... then -- in theory -- you wouldn't /have to/ have an immediate repeat of the EWS failure.

In fact, the likelihood /could/ return to something not too far north of the likelihood for most bikes.

In my former business, our line workers had to use zip ties. Even when they used the "guns," there was significant variability in the tension of application. If anything like that is at play here, then it could explain why some bikes get hit, and why they tended to get hit early or not at all.

I'm just looking at this as a good old-fashioned puzzle by now. I'm pushing 8k miles, and feeling pretty cocky about [ending thought ... RIGHT now!].
NBeener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 05:57 PM   #1137
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylexot
Maybe I'll go to Morton's, pick up my brand new bike, and ride it straight to Bob's
Sweet, make sure you show it to Bob, he is the really short one with the beard and running around like a madman, and make sure it has the Morton's sticker with a price clearly displayed!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:58 AM   #1138
ricochet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Here is a new take on this pestering problem. A fellow rider, who worked for the radio and electronics department of Siemens, told me that the ring antenna malfunction could be a result of it resetting when a celphone is placed near it or when the bike is parked near a cell site. According to him, what BMW is attempting with the newer issue of ring antennas is trying to find a frequency range which will make it unaffected by celphone transmissions. However, we cannot of course take this as gospel truth. Therefore, it would really be in order if BMW finally comes out in the open to explain to us the results of their investigation, if there is one, and level off with its customers on how they will solve this issue. This problem is too --cking serious to be met with apathy and defeaning silence.
04 1200C Montauk (SOLD)
03 Piaggio X9 Amalfi(SOLD)
ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:25 AM   #1139
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricochet
...the ring antenna malfunction could be a result of it resetting when a celphone is placed near it or when the bike is parked near a cell site. According to him, what BMW is attempting with the newer issue of ring antennas is trying to find a frequency range which will make it unaffected by celphone transmissions.
I'm no radio engineer, but this doesn't really make sense to me. First, I would expect that the ring antenna would already operate on a vastly different frequency than cell phones. Second, it seems like if they are changing the "frequency range" of the antenna, we'd have to swap out our keys as well to stay in a compatible frequency range? Finally, it seems like the failures would be noticeably more common in urban areas, where cell base stations are more common (to ensure that there is sufficient capacity).

Quote:
Therefore, it would really be in order if BMW finally comes out in the open to explain to us the results of their investigation, if there is one, and level off with its customers on how they will solve this issue. This problem is too --cking serious to be met with apathy and defeaning silence.
Amen.
motoreiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:51 AM   #1140
REMORA
adventurer wannabe

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
This problem is too --cking serious to be met with apathy and defeaning silence.

I was thinking of getting an 08 BMW 1200 Adventure but decided to search for information on this infamous EWS ring antenna first. I read the first ten pages of this thread and then decided to jump to the last page. After 13 months and 73 pages, there is apparently no foreseeable solution in sight.

I guess I'll have to stick with my 1150GS a little while longer.
REMORA is offline   Reply With Quote