0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-17-2008, 07:12 AM   #1141
]I)Money
D NOT I

Oddometer: 3,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoreiter
I'm no radio engineer, but this doesn't really make sense to me. First, I would expect that the ring antenna would already operate on a vastly different frequency than cell phones. Second, it seems like if they are changing the "frequency range" of the antenna, we'd have to swap out our keys as well to stay in a compatible frequency range? Finally, it seems like the failures would be noticeably more common in urban areas, where cell base stations are more common (to ensure that there is sufficient capacity).

Amen.
It is certain that the key/ring operate in a different band than cell phones (think am vs fm, rather than 101.5 the rock vs 88.3 smooth jazz); those bands are reserved by the fcc for cell phone use. And, yes, if the keys don't change, then the frequency doesn't change. I would guess that the keys and rings operate in the same band reserved for car remotes, etc.

"Another road remains, but it provides no more. It can only take us away"
]I)Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:38 AM   #1142
jdpower
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by REMORA
I was thinking of getting an 08 BMW 1200 Adventure but decided to search for information on this infamous EWS ring antenna first. I read the first ten pages of this thread and then decided to jump to the last page. After 13 months and 73 pages, there is apparently no foreseeable solution in sight.

I guess I'll have to stick with my 1150GS a little while longer.
I, like you have been following this thread. I have one sport tourer (ST1300A) and a DL650A currently. I've been thinking of changing to another sport tourer for a second bike instead of the Strom. I have really been liking the R1200RT but have been waiting for a used 07 since didn't want to pay the admission price of a brand new one (also didn't want older due to the servo assist which I didn't want). Price was an issue, but great reliability is a must for me. I know I could get RT that would likely never have a rear drive failure or get locked out due to the antenna ring issue. But I am not now willing to take the chance. Each of the others on my list have pros and cons (FJR-? ergonomic fit, Connie 14--heat, suspension, Kipass issues, small fuel tank) so guess I'll keep looking and scratching my head. Damn shame BMW doesn't fix these things and tell everyone what was wrong, why and what they have done to make them non issues. OK, off of soap box and flame suit on if needed .

JDP
jdpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:23 AM   #1143
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by REMORA
I was thinking of getting an 08 BMW 1200 Adventure but decided to search for information on this infamous EWS ring antenna first. I read the first ten pages of this thread and then decided to jump to the last page. After 13 months and 73 pages, there is apparently no foreseeable solution in sight.

I guess I'll have to stick with my 1150GS a little while longer.
Seriously? That makes no sense to me.

First, it happens on very few bikes.

Second, if you don't like your odds, buy a spare ring for $150, stick it in your tank bag or under your seat and ride to your heart's content. When you consider the price of the bike, etc. $150 is next to nothing.

I too would like to know why they're occasionally failing but it doesn't seem BMW knows yet. So I keep one stashed under my seat and enjoy my bike every day I ride it!!
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:43 AM   #1144
Duane1969
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
If you are letting this "EWS" issue stop you from owning a GS, you are short changing yourself on a fine bike.

I have had numerous new bikes over the last 5 - 7 years and there is always a chance for some little something to go wrong. I seem to have been struck with an "oil leak bug" on several of my new bikes. Nothing that can't be fixed but still annoying!!! Just like the EWS thing.

If / when it becomes and issue, just deal with it and keep on riding. It does not happen to all bikes. I agree that, for the price, this should not be an issue.....but it obviously is!!!!

These are really great bikes and you won't be disappointed.....even if EWS becomes an issue.

Buy the damn thing and ride it like you stole' it!!!!
Duane1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:36 AM   #1145
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS

Second, if you don't like your odds, buy a spare ring for $150, stick it in your tank bag or under your seat and ride to your heart's content. When you consider the price of the bike, etc. $150 is next to nothing.

I too would like to know why they're occasionally failing but it doesn't seem BMW knows yet. So I keep one stashed under my seat and enjoy my bike every day I ride it!!
Well said!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:49 AM   #1146
klrobins
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Pissed Ews! Wtf?!

its official. I now believe my bike was built on a Friday afternoon. Last year it was the fuel sending module which left me stranded in new Hampshire. Now on this beautiful afternoon (which I took off specifically for a ride) I only got as far as the gas station. Called my dealer and he said "just take it home and monitor it. That was at noon. Its 2 and I still can't start it. Talking to the dealership and they won't even look at it for two weeks. I'm not a happy camper.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:51 AM   #1147
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,380
Kristi, that sucks big time.. I have an EWS antenna I can loan you

Let's keep the love going in the threadfest..

How many Km's on your bike?
Old 04-17-2008, 10:57 AM   #1148
bmwhd
God Bless Texas

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:

If it was just this, you'd have a point. Add in the fuel module and the FD and you've got three "strand you're ass far from home" issues with one very expensive toy. No thanks.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:08 PM   #1149
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhd
If it was just this, you'd have a point. Add in the fuel module and the FD and you've got three "strand you're ass far from home" issues with one very expensive toy. No thanks.
Fuel module has been fixed.

EWS, just carry a ring with you if you're really that concerned about it. $150 peace of mind. No big deal.

FD you could have a problem. You most likely won't.

The point is, ALL bikes could break down at some point. ALL of them. Many things can break on ANY bike and leave you stranded far from home.

If you're not prepared to accept that as part of the adventure, you're in the wrong business.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 02:02 PM   #1150
bmwhd
God Bless Texas

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Fuel module has been fixed.

EWS, just carry a ring with you if you're really that concerned about it. $150 peace of mind. No big deal.

FD you could have a problem. You most likely won't.

The point is, ALL bikes could break down at some point. ALL of them. Many things can break on ANY bike and leave you stranded far from home.

If you're not prepared to accept that as part of the adventure, you're in the wrong business.
Fuel module has been fixed? I suppose if you've gone in and had yours replaced it has. Otherwise, it's a time bomb.

The EWS at least is something you can carry as a spare but why should you have to?

The FD issue is the kicker for me. Sure, odds of having a second one go out on a bike I own are small. What keeps me off any modern BMW is the total lack of acknowledgment by BMW concerning not one but two generations of final drives over an 8 year period. That's unacceptable to me at their price point.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 04:35 PM   #1151
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by klrobins
Called my dealer and he said "just take it home and monitor it...Talking to the dealership and they won't even look at it for two weeks. I'm not a happy camper.
Did you try turning the kill switch off and on as described a few pages ago in this thread? Probably won't work, but what do you have to lose?
motoreiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 05:45 PM   #1152
klrobins
Gnarly Adventurer

Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Kristi, that sucks big time.. I have an EWS antenna I can loan you

Let's keep the love going in the threadfest..

How many Km's on your bike?
Hi rick.

Boy was I mad. Managed to get the key to work while on the phone with bmw roadside. Took it to Andrew but he won't even look at it until next Thursday or Friday. Want to lend me your XC? Pretty please?

Anyway, 16096km. Tried the regular key and the plastic one. Finally got the normal one to work.

Will post the final result.

K
Old 04-17-2008, 05:48 PM   #1153
klrobins
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoreiter
Did you try turning the kill switch off and on as described a few pages ago in this thread? Probably won't work, but what do you have to lose?

Yup. Tried it and it didn't work. Thanks though.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:14 PM   #1154
ricochet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
In Manila, I know of 7 cases of EWS failure, of which 2 of these had their rings broken twice over. Based on the information I got from a top BMW Motorrad executive that they sell around 80 units a year, the failure rate is around 11%. Now tell me if this is an acceptable rate of failure for a supposedly top-notch motorcycle manufacturer.

Let us not attempt to downplay this problem just because other troubles could hit you. If this were the blowout rate of tires, I bet the maker will be out of business sooner than later, not to mention the countless number of lawsuits that will be filed.
04 1200C Montauk (SOLD)
03 Piaggio X9 Amalfi(SOLD)
ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 03:54 AM   #1155
klrobins
Gnarly Adventurer

I noticed on the Hammersley website fisches there are two part numbers listed for the ring antenna. Does anyone know which is the "good" one and which is the "bad" one (if there really is a trend). I'd like for this failure not to happen again once the part is replaced.