Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-18-2008, 05:45 AM   #1156
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,660
it doesn't matter which part number you use, the most recent part number supercedes any other in the parts ordering system and is automatically subsituted for the newest part number.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:57 AM   #1157
FrisbeeR1200GS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Retired and Too Lazy To Review All Past Threads: AWS

Have an 05, no problems after 6K miles. Anyone who's experienced a failure while on the road tried to move the bike a block or so, couple of hundred feet or so just to change the location from the original failure? Planning a trip to the NE USA this June, expect I'll order a spare antennae.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:02 AM   #1158
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricochet
Based on the information I got from a top BMW Motorrad executive that they sell around 80 units a year, the failure rate is around 11%.
Hmm, while I agree that this is a serious problem, 11% sounds waaaayyyy too high to me. I think I read that by last year BMW had sold 100k GS12s? That would mean 11k bikes effected by EWS (OK, may 9-10k if you factor in bikes with multiple failures). If the numbers were that high, I think we'd be hearing even more about this issue than we are.

Frankly, for a part of this nature, even a 1% failure rate is way too high. These things should either be virtually bullet-proof or there needs to be a way to disable it.
motoreiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:11 AM   #1159
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrisbeeR1200GS
Have an 05, no problems after 6K miles. Anyone who's experienced a failure while on the road tried to move the bike a block or so, couple of hundred feet or so just to change the location from the original failure? Planning a trip to the NE USA this June, expect I'll order a spare antennae.
Be sure to carry a Torx 10 to remove the 2 screws holding the plastic cover over the front of the EWS harness so you can get at it and unplug it from the installed EWS in and be able to plug it into the spare one, and carry a spare key to insert in it, should the need arise.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:36 AM   #1160
FrisbeeR1200GS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Thanks for the reminder on the torx screws, I ALWAYS carry two keys regardless of which bike I ride...have the luxury of owning an '03 K1200rs, and a '01 Triumph Speed Triple. As many know, STCH which translates to Stupid Things Can Happen. I'm also on daily medication...that is visit the GSpot every day for a "fix". This is a great site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Be sure to carry a Torx 10 to remove the 2 screws holding the plastic cover over the front of the EWS harness so you can get at it and unplug it from the installed EWS in and be able to plug it into the spare one, and carry a spare key to insert in it, should the need arise.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:45 AM   #1161
PRW
living @ 11.5740741uHz

Oddometer: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Rick - does this workaround assume that you've already drilled out the infamous security bolts or will this bypass work without having to do any drilling?

2008 R1200GS (Slate Gray Metallic Matt)
2003 R1150GS (Night Black)
PRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:03 AM   #1162
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRW
Rick - does this workaround assume that you've already drilled out the infamous security bolts or will this bypass work without having to do any drilling?
No, it allows you to release the plug so you can plug it to the spare and put your spare key within the ring so your bike will start/run. There is a picture on this thread somewhere about it.

I am at 43K miles, and am going on a 7K mile trip this summer. I will NOT take an antenna ring because I am confident mine would have failed already, and if it does, I can get one in a few days. It is all part of the adventure, right?

Jim

PS I will have a T-10 Torx with me though!
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:22 AM   #1163
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
No, it allows you to release the plug so you can plug it to the spare and put your spare key within the ring so your bike will start/run. There is a picture on this thread somewhere about it.

I am at 43K miles, and am going on a 7K mile trip this summer. I will NOT take an antenna ring because I am confident mine would have failed already, and if it does, I can get one in a few days. It is all part of the adventure, right?

Jim

Hey, here's a brand-new opportunity for some entrepreneurial type:

Going on a long trip? Does your bike have an immobilizer ring. Rent one from, IMMOBLIZER RINGS R'US, DAILY, WEEKLY, MONTHLY RATES!
Old 04-18-2008, 08:24 AM   #1164
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar
Hey, here's a brand-new opportunity for some entrepreneurial type:

Going on a long trip? Does your bike have an immobilizer ring. Rent one from, IMMOBLIZER RINGS R'US, DAILY, WEEKLY, MONTHLY RATES!

Seriously, I would pay someone $15 to have one ready to ship overnight at a moment's notice.

The deal would be, they keep the $15, but if mine breaks, they ship at no additional cost. I bet they could make a fortune!

Jim
Old 04-18-2008, 08:35 AM   #1165
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,199
Thumb

Quote:

Jim
Can be found in the GSpot FAQ.

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:37 AM   #1166
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klrobins
Yup. Tried it and it didn't work. Thanks though.
I haven't read EVERY post here; I got my EWS error a couple of months back. Here's another theory, not sure if this was ever posted.

This person believes that it's heat related, and that a high percentage of failures are self-correcting if one waits 1/2 hour or more. Roadside assistance rarely makes it by then, but not comforting thinking it might fail AGAIN. Just more USELESS info to consider.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:40 AM   #1167
PRW
living @ 11.5740741uHz

Oddometer: 1,092
Quote:

Jim

Thanks Jim - Hope you're feeling better

2008 R1200GS (Slate Gray Metallic Matt)
2003 R1150GS (Night Black)
PRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:46 AM   #1168
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRW
Thanks Jim - Hope you're feeling better
Thanks, I feel fine, it is 75 and sunny, and I am sitting in front of a computer instead of riding!

Jim
Old 04-18-2008, 08:49 AM   #1169
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks, I feel fine, it is 75 and sunny, and I am sitting in front of a computer instead of riding!

Jim
Stop grumbling, it's 75 here in FL, clear, I didn't have surgery, and am in front of a computer working (and replying to this goofy threadfest). Soooooooo! Glad you're getting better Jim.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:50 AM   #1170
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar
Stop grumbling, it's 75 here in FL, clear, I didn't have surgery, and am in front of a computer working (and replying to this goofy threadfest). Soooooooo! Glad you're getting better Jim.
But at the end of the day, you jump on the bike and go home!

Wait, I thought you were retired John? What are you doing working?

Jim