0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-24-2008, 08:10 AM   #1231
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by buduski
It seems to me that with so many dealerships now reportedly stocking replacement antennas, I can't really see the need to buy one unless you plan on being out in the extreme sticks! I have about 4500 miles on my 07 GSA with no problems so far. Maybe I'm living in a fantasy world, but I just don't worry about it.
Peace of mind and inconvenience, especially for people that don't have unlimited time for rides/vacations, etc. Seems to me that $100 + pretty cheap vacation insurance. But than again, just my opinion!
Old 04-24-2008, 10:17 AM   #1232
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,278
Towing Is The Difference..

Quote:
Originally Posted by buduski
It seems to me that with so many dealerships now reportedly stocking replacement antennas, I can't really see the need to buy one unless you plan on being out in the extreme sticks! I have about 4500 miles on my 07 GSA with no problems so far. Maybe I'm living in a fantasy world, but I just don't worry about it.
Option #1: Find a tow truck to bring you to a dealer that may or may not be open or within 200 miles or have the antenna in stock.

Option #2: Unplug the 'faulty' [who the hell knows if they are faulty] antenna and plug in the back-up antenna and ride home or to nearest dealer or to a dealer that has the antenna or to a motel to get out of the rain...
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:45 AM   #1233
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
Option #1: Find a tow truck to bring you to a dealer that may or may not be open or within 200 miles or have the antenna in stock.

Option #2: Unplug the 'faulty' [who the hell knows if they are faulty] antenna and plug in the back-up antenna and ride home or to nearest dealer or to a dealer that has the antenna or to a motel to get out of the rain...
While your logic seems flawless to me, my bet is that there will continue to be:
1. Those that will play the odds
2. Continue to believe that since it's a BMW motorcycle BMW is responsible for solving the problem
3. Those that don't even know the problem exists
Old 04-24-2008, 10:50 AM   #1234
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,838
Most of us carry a tire plugging kit because who wants to get a tow to a dealer to get a tire plugged, if you can do it yourself. Unfortunately, because there is no way to bypass the immobilizer, if the antenna fails, carrying a spare makes sense because it will take less than 3 minutes to get the bike started again.

I'm riding heading south next month and out west in the summer and I'd hate to be stuck because of it.. and with my usual good luck, the failure were it to occur, it would be on a Saturday afternoon in an area where dealers are closed on Monday, so I'd be stuck till at least Tuesday. I think I got my spare one for $115. It's a lot cheaper than a tow or a motel room.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:54 AM   #1235
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Most of us carry a tire plugging kit because who wants to get a tow to a dealer to get a tire plugged, if you can do it yourself. Unfortunately, because there is no way to bypass the immobilizer, if the antenna fails, carrying a spare makes sense because it will take less than 3 minutes to get the bike started again.

I'm riding heading south next month and out west in the summer and I'd hate to be stuck because of it.. and with my usual good luck, the failure were it to occur, it would be on a Saturday afternoon in an area where dealers are closed on Monday, so I'd be stuck till at least Tuesday. I think I got my spare one for $115. It's a lot cheaper than a tow or a motel room.
I am playing the odds. I am taking a 7K mile trip this summer, from DC to Oregon and up through Canada back to DC through Maine. I wont be carrying one, my bike, and my riding partner's GS both have over 40K miles. VERY few, if any, have broken at this point. They usually go early. Besides, I can give GB (Rick) a call and borrow his in Canada, and jpalomar(John) and borrow his in the US!

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:55 AM   #1236
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Interesting reply in that somehow I had you in the category of the percentages are truly in the owners' favor against this ever happening'. I guess, like I said, it's like vacation insurance and 100+ bucks postured against the long trip, a bargain. Would we all like this issue to NOT EXIST, amen! But, then there's the real world.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:35 AM   #1237
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Antenna Rings R' Us

Going on a vacation, worried about your antenna ring, we can help!!
Antenna Rings R'Us specializes in renting daily, weekly, monthly, BMW Antenna Rings. We carry the latest models and provide overnight shipping to most locations. We accept PayPal, VISA, MasterCard, and American Express.

For fastest service call: 1.800.RINGSRUS to reserve your ring.

*some restrictions apply
Old 04-24-2008, 11:49 AM   #1238
ylexot
Super Genius

Oddometer: 780
There should be an asterisk next to people in the BMWMOA book if they have a spare antenna ring
ylexot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 11:52 AM   #1239
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar
Going on a vacation, worried about your antenna ring, we can help!!

Antenna Rings R'Us specializes in renting daily, weekly, monthly, BMW Antenna Rings. We carry the latest models and provide overnight shipping to most locations. We accept PayPal, VISA, MasterCard, and American Express.

For fastest service call: 1.800.RINGSRUS to reserve your ring.

*some restrictions apply
I knew I could count on you John!

Glad I suggested this a few pages back!

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 11:56 AM   #1240
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylexot
There should be an asterisk next to people in the BMWMOA book if they have a spare antenna ring
I plan to print out this thread and keep it with me. If my ring fails I can see who is closest to me and has one!!

Oh wait, I have a ring . . .
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:00 PM   #1241
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,838
Quote:
Interesting reply in that somehow I had you in the category of the percentages are truly in the owners' favor against this ever happening'. .
Well, I don't think it will happen, my bike has high enough miles, but... if it craps out in the middle of Kansas or Colorado, do I want to waste a day or two or three? Cheap insurance.. and if you carry one, you most likely won't have an issue.. if you don't.. murphy's law..

I remember riding out west with my buddy on his airhead RS and he carried a diode board, and a bunch of other parts, just in case.. and his diode board crapped out on him when we got to Washington state.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:44 PM   #1242
Duane1969
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
I looked in the FAQ section and saw a picture of one temp. installed (zip tied) next to the failed one on the bike. Evidently, a temp. fix out on the trail to get home. But I was wondering, is there an illustration of a "how to" on the replacement of this part.

From looking at it, there appears to be 2 small screw that remove a protective cover over the ring and then it looks like you unplug it and it just pops out with a screwdriver or something. Is this correct??? I would just want to be prepared to do the swap if need be.

My bike is an 08' GSA.

Thanks,

Duane
Duane1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:49 PM   #1243
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Well, I don't think it will happen, my bike has high enough miles, but... if it craps out in the middle of Kansas or Colorado, do I want to waste a day or two or three? Cheap insurance.. and if you carry one, you most likely won't have an issue.. if you don't.. murphy's law..

I remember riding out west with my buddy on his airhead RS and he carried a diode board, and a bunch of other parts, just in case.. and his diode board crapped out on him when we got to Washington state.
Have Antenna Ring...Will Travel. Most will be too young to remember this guy Paladin!

Old 04-24-2008, 01:30 PM   #1244
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,278
Knight Without An Antenna In A Savage Land!

Quote:
Have Antenna Ring...Will Travel. Most will be too young to remember this guy Paladin!

Richard looked good before he ballooned to the size of a house..."Where do you roam..."

Nate Kern's R1200S [I believe at Daytona] a year ago was shown in pits and guess what! The pit crew had a spare antenna wired up next to the antenna in use...unplug/plug and go..
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:50 PM   #1245
supaparty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane1969
I looked in the FAQ section and saw a picture of one temp. installed (zip tied) next to the failed one on the bike. Evidently, a temp. fix out on the trail to get home. But I was wondering, is there an illustration of a "how to" on the replacement of this part.

From looking at it, there appears to be 2 small screw that remove a protective cover over the ring and then it looks like you unplug it and it just pops out with a screwdriver or something. Is this correct??? I would just want to be prepared to do the swap if need be.

My bike is an 08' GSA.

Thanks,

Duane
That's exactly it. Pretty simple - make sure you carry a T10 torx to remove the small screws. I did a dry run in my garage and it only took a few minutes to rig it up and get the bike running. You can unplug it too if you want once the bike is fired up if you don't want to zip tie it on there. The good thing about that is that each group of GS riders only needs to carry one spare to get multiple bikes fired up.
'14 350 EXC-F (Dual sport bike)
supaparty is offline   Reply With Quote