ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-25-2008, 11:30 PM   #1261
tagesk
Tuscan rider
 
tagesk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Tuscany, Italy
Oddometer: 3,199
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
First, thanks for keeping up the "FAQ"; no small task [no pun intended] ....when was the latest antenna part number updated? Thanks..
I dond't remember the data, but all numbers that has been discussed here has been added.

[TaSK]
__________________
'02 R1150GS - Adds life
My Riding in Tuscany-thread is here.
Renting out motorbikes in Toscana, Italy
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:23 AM   #1262
dometop
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Oddometer: 51
Two friends and I are planning an extended trip and since we all ride GS's we deciced to pool our resources and purchase a spare Ring antennae from our dealer. One of the guys had ring failure at 4200 miles.
I went to the dealer armed with the part numbers listed on this forum and guess what. He said the numbers I had listed were obsolete.
The numbers I presented him were 61357714207 which I understood was replaced by 61357717136. He looked up the antennae ring and said the part number ending in 207 was replaced by part number 61357705247.
Also, to confuse the issue even more he said the new part number was listed at $82.50 and the 207 price was around $140. It's hard to believe BMW would have such a large (or any) price reduction. He insist that the information is correct. Has anyone been given this 247 number by their dealer?
Our dealer claims he has never ordered an antennae ring and has none in stock. I checked with the service manager and he confirmed that this dealer has had no customers with antennae ring failures that he was aware of. We decided to order trhe Ring and check with this site to see if we could confirm the validity of this part number. I would appreciate your input.
dometop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:30 AM   #1263
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer
 
jpalamar's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL (Northeast FL, USA)
Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylexot
A Better Find, Rick/GB
Ya gotta love Harbor Freight. I honestly think much of their stuff is just crap, but I also think they have the same warranty as Craftsman/bring in broken, get a new one. The crap comment is that my business judgment tells me it has to be crap, right? But, based upon the numbers of times I use the tool, well, makes sense. E.g. A Milwaukee [brand name] Sawzall, last time I looked, about 150 bucks or so as I best remember. Harbor Freight/Ohio/Chicago/Pittburgh, WTF with all of the industial states/cities, $25.95. GMAFB! And, it works and comes with a spare set of armature brushes, can you stnad it?
__________________
2007 R1200GS Adv DMC Hack
2014 R1200WCGS
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:21 AM   #1264
tagesk
Tuscan rider
 
tagesk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Tuscany, Italy
Oddometer: 3,199
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dometop
The numbers I presented him were 61357714207 which I understood was replaced by 61357717136. He looked up the antennae ring and said the part number ending in 207 was replaced by part number 61357705247.
I'll add the new number to the FAQ. Please keep us informed on any progress on this issue.

[TaSK]
__________________
'02 R1150GS - Adds life
My Riding in Tuscany-thread is here.
Renting out motorbikes in Toscana, Italy
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:29 AM   #1265
adamr
Gnarly Adventurer
 
adamr's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Chicago
Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by dometop
Two friends and I are planning an extended trip and since we all ride GS's we deciced to pool our resources and purchase a spare Ring antennae from our dealer. One of the guys had ring failure at 4200 miles.
I went to the dealer armed with the part numbers listed on this forum and guess what. He said the numbers I had listed were obsolete.
The numbers I presented him were 61357714207 which I understood was replaced by 61357717136. He looked up the antennae ring and said the part number ending in 207 was replaced by part number 61357705247.
Also, to confuse the issue even more he said the new part number was listed at $82.50 and the 207 price was around $140. It's hard to believe BMW would have such a large (or any) price reduction. He insist that the information is correct. Has anyone been given this 247 number by their dealer?
Not me. I was at my dealer late last week and the parts dept gave me the 207 number at $150.
adamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:34 AM   #1266
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer
 
jpalamar's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL (Northeast FL, USA)
Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcr
Besides, I can give GB (Rick) a call and borrow his in Canada, and jpalomar(John) and borrow his in the US!
Did you mean 'RENT'?
Antenna Rings R'Us
__________________
2007 R1200GS Adv DMC Hack
2014 R1200WCGS
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:35 AM   #1267
PRW
living @ 11.5740741uHz
 
PRW's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Chicago
Oddometer: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by dometop
The numbers I presented him were 61357714207 which I understood was replaced by 61357717136. He looked up the antennae ring and said the part number ending in 207 was replaced by part number 61357705247.
Also, to confuse the issue even more he said the new part number was listed at $82.50 and the 207 price was around $140.
Is it just me or does it appear odd that, looking at the last 5 digits of the part numbers, the "newer" part number is an older numeric sequence? I mean, it's possible, but given typical German precision, 14207 -> 17136 -> 05247 doesn't seem plausible... I think we need to check with a few dealers before posting this to the FAQ as "factual."
__________________
When Im riding my motorcycle, Im glad to be alive and when I stop riding my motorcycle, Im glad to be alive. -Neil Peart

2008 R1200GS (Slate Gray Metallic Matt)
2003 R1150GS (Night Black)
PRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:48 AM   #1268
Hi-zoot
Living for the Weekend
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: TX
Oddometer: 244
Crap....Just bought my new '08 GS on the 22nd. I got 285 miles from home and it wouldnt start.. EWS failure. Had the bike towed 104 miles to the nearest dealer and they fixed me up . I was told that it shouldnt happen again. I'm really hoping that is the case. I havent read this whole thread, so sorry if this has been brought up, but has there been anyone with multiple, or even 2 failures?
Hi-zoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:57 AM   #1269
adamr
Gnarly Adventurer
 
adamr's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Chicago
Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-zoot
Crap....Just bought my new '08 GS on the 22nd. I got 285 miles from home and it wouldnt start.. EWS failure. Had the bike towed 104 miles to the nearest dealer and they fixed me up . I was told that it shouldnt happen again. I'm really hoping that is the case. I havent read this whole thread, so sorry if this has been brought up, but has there been anyone with multiple, or even 2 failures?
(2 failures...) I believe so.
adamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:00 AM   #1270
dwf
2007 R1200GS Adventure
 
dwf's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: TEXAS!
Oddometer: 741
Has anyone polled the highest mileage there has been a failure?
dwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:23 AM   #1271
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: NE Oregon
Oddometer: 5,204
Now That Is Funny!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRW
Is it just me or does it appear odd that, looking at the last 5 digits of the part numbers, the "newer" part number is an older numeric sequence? I mean, it's possible, but given typical German precision, 14207 -> 17136 -> 05247 doesn't seem plausible... I think we need to check with a few dealers before posting this to the FAQ as "factual."
Precision indeed...issuing new part numbered antenna to fix a problem that doesn't exist! Come on, let's get real folks...can one single BMW dealer out there give us why the "EWS" is occuring, what BMW has communicated to them and why the seemingly endless antenna changes? Oh yes, what truely is the current antenna part number?

Precision my ass...BMW is stonewalling this with a complete lack of information. Dealers that remain silent on this or are not banging on the door of BMW for an explanation are complicit is this balck hole of information that really damages BMW's credibility..
__________________
"In Wallowas"
====================
2007 R1200GS Adventure " ...to explore off-road, alone in my case, way out in the boonies...that feeds the soul!"
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:26 AM   #1272
PRW
living @ 11.5740741uHz
 
PRW's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Chicago
Oddometer: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-zoot
Crap....Just bought my new '08 GS on the 22nd. I got 285 miles from home and it wouldnt start.. EWS failure. Had the bike towed 104 miles to the nearest dealer and they fixed me up . I was told that it shouldnt happen again.
Can you please clarify what "fixed me up" means? What did they actually do? Did they change out any parts with newer part numbers?
__________________
When Im riding my motorcycle, Im glad to be alive and when I stop riding my motorcycle, Im glad to be alive. -Neil Peart

2008 R1200GS (Slate Gray Metallic Matt)
2003 R1150GS (Night Black)
PRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:32 AM   #1273
PRW
living @ 11.5740741uHz
 
PRW's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Chicago
Oddometer: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
Precision indeed...issuing new part numbered antenna to fix a problem that doesn't exist! Come on, let's get real folks...can one single BMW dealer out there give us why the "EWS" is occuring, what BMW has communicated to them and why the seemingly endless antenna changes? Oh yes, what truely is the current antenna part number?

Precision my ass...BMW is stonewalling this with a complete lack of information. Dealers that remain silent on this or are not banging on the door of BMW for an explanation are complicit is this balck hole of information that really damages BMW's credibility..
Yo brother Phil - to be clear, I wasn't defending BMW and this problem, just their sequential part/version numbering scheme...
__________________
When Im riding my motorcycle, Im glad to be alive and when I stop riding my motorcycle, Im glad to be alive. -Neil Peart

2008 R1200GS (Slate Gray Metallic Matt)
2003 R1150GS (Night Black)
PRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:47 AM   #1274
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer
 
jpalamar's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL (Northeast FL, USA)
Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
Precision ? Oh yes, what truly is the current antenna part number?

Precision my ass...BMW is stonewalling this with a complete lack of information. Dealers that remain silent on this or are not banging on the door of BMW for an explanation are complicit is this black hole of information that really damages BMW's credibility..
Phil, I just don't think that there's is any explanation coming from BMWNA as to what's causing this. C'mon, if someone knew what's causing it they would fix it, end of story. Warranty reimbursement for dealer labor putting in new part + cost of part, certainly no incentive to either hq nor the dealer. So, since no one really knows for sure what causes the EWS ring failure (or else it would be fixed) this is an issue that will continue. Would this make you or anyone feel better. Go purchase a ring and a #10 Torx, you'll feel better!

DATELINE 4/28/08, 16:40Z. BMWNA announces that its antenna ring failures continue to remain a mystery. Ludwig Hooeydonk, chief engineer continues to express exasperation at BMW's inability to solve this relatively simple problem. He does maintain though that failures are less than 1/10 of 1% across the BMW product line which is well within tolerance for any electrical part. He also stated to this reporter that the website ADVRIDER.COM and its constituency continue to be the the group that represents BMWNA's largest pain in the ass!
__________________
2007 R1200GS Adv DMC Hack
2014 R1200WCGS

jpalamar screwed with this post 04-28-2008 at 10:58 AM
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:55 AM   #1275
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 49,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar
Phil, I just don't think that there's is any explanation coming from BMWNA as to what's causing this. C'mon, if someone knew what's causing it they would fix it, end of story. Warranty reimbursement for dealer labor putting in new part + cost of part, certainly no incentive to either hq nor the dealer. So, since no one really knows for sure what causes the EWS ring failure (or else it would be fixed) this is an issue that will continue. Would this make you or anyone feel better. Go purchase a ring and a #10 Torx, you'll feel better!

DATELINE 4/28/08, 16:40Z. BMWNA announces that its antenna ring failures continue to remain a mystery. Ludwig Hooeydonk, chief engineer continues to express exasparation at BMW's inability to solve this relatively simple problem. He does maintain though that failures are less than 1/10 of 1% across the BMW product line which is well within tolerance for any electrical part. He also stated to this reporter that the website ADVRIDER.COM and its constituency continue to be the the group that represents BMWNA's largest pain in the ass!


If you had given a more realistic German name I might have fallen for it untill the last line! Very funny!

Jim

PS The last line is true, but I doubt BMWNA is even bothering to read this forum.
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014