0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2008, 09:57 AM   #1276
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden

If you had given a more realistic German name I might have fallen for it untill the last line! Very funny!

Jim

PS The last line is true, but I doubt BMWNA is even bothering to read this forum.
Jim, the last name is a true one. DirectTV has been adding commercial on their To Do list, and this guy (last name correct, first name a guess), Hooeydonk is the Chief Designer for the new BMW, XA6 I think. It's their newly classifed, SPORT ACTIVITY VEHICLE!
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:00 AM   #1277
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar
Jim, the last name is a true one. DirectTV has been adding commercial on their To Do list, and this guy (last name correct, first name a guess), Hooeydonk is the Chief Designer for the new BMW, XA6 I think. It's their newly classifed, SPORT ACTIVITY VEHICLE!
Damn, now that is funny!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:54 AM   #1278
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Ya' just can't make this shit up....
NBeener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:00 AM   #1279
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBeener
Ya' just can't make this shit up....

Take it easy on non native English speakers until YOU become a better speller.....
I corrected the spelling of 'exasperation'. Sorry!
Old 04-28-2008, 11:24 AM   #1280
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
No Not Aimed At You...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRW
Yo brother Phil - to be clear, I wasn't defending BMW and this problem, just their sequential part/version numbering scheme...
No PRW I understand that and hope the text didn't seem aimed at you..BMW is the sole source of my angst,and yes as suggested I will be buying an antenna, got the #10 Torx...if I can get the straight scoop on what really is the "latest, greatest" part number...

We are all in the same boat...amen on
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:27 AM   #1281
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
No PRW I understand that and hope the text didn't seem aimed at you..BMW is the sole source of my angst,and yes as suggested I will be buying an antenna, got the #10 Torx...if I can get the straight scoop on what really is the "latest, greatest" part number...

We are all in the same boat...amen on
Not to antagonize, but IMO the problem is part no. irrelevant since it seems that they all fail, including new ones off of the ass'y line. And, enough data around that says many old one's don't fail. Also, the inventory at the dealers' service department I'm quite sure not being rotated/filled with latest parts? But, I could be wrong and perhaps some BMW employee can verify that last piece of speculation on my part.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:06 PM   #1282
dometop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRW
Is it just me or does it appear odd that, looking at the last 5 digits of the part numbers, the "newer" part number is an older numeric sequence? I mean, it's possible, but given typical German precision, 14207 -> 17136 -> 05247 doesn't seem plausible... I think we need to check with a few dealers before posting this to the FAQ as "factual."
I agree with your thinking but when I asked that question the Dealer parts manager said BMW part numbers aren't always in numerical sequence. Seems strange to me also. The dealer called and the part was received today. I again asked the part number and price and he read the information off the invoice: Part no. 61357705247 Price: $82.50. I agree with the rational to keep this number off the FAQ until we get conformation from another dealer. I don't plan on picking up the part until I'm certain it's the latest one.
dometop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:57 PM   #1283
klrobins
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
part number?

for what its worth I just had my antenna ring changed last week under warantee. Part number 61-35-7-696-463
Old 04-28-2008, 03:28 PM   #1284
virgilus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Bitch,M &Wine.

Sunday morning 9.00 am in the Catskills I decide to pull on the side to change my wet gloves and take a l,,,k. Try to start the tractor????? All I get is an EWS. FFFFF,,,,,,,,. I am in the middle of the mountains, raining and aprox 45 degree outside. I look around me and all I can see is trees,a poorly county maintain road and no cars on vue for the last 30 min. You want to tell me that after i just sign a 22k,s check two weeks a go I cant even say something because I am whining????. At that time if I had the chance to see that engeneer I would probabily reap his head off, tie him behind my bike to show him where I am going and what i am doing with this bike.Not every one is using this bike for pictures only. I am not against progress or new technology but they should try this on they own pocket not on procentage and probability even if it means that the other company will come with this future on the market a month or six ahead of them. THIS BIKE LOOKS AND SOUNDS LIKE A TRACTOR. SHOULD BE AS RELIABLE AS A TRACTOR if they want me to believe on those nice comercials. It always make me wonder wy my Tacoma with 240 k never fail starting (except a dead battery) and my Buddy M3 got towed to the dealler twice in three months????. No one knows how much the other sacrified to be abble to aford this bike therefor I dont think that enyone have the right to tell me, you or anyone else if i can complain. This is my third BMW Adventure in the last four years and i am pretty sure there will be more to come but they have to put it togheter if they want people to trust them. In the same time M. Von Baden this forum is the only place where people can let it goooo. The fact that you or anyone else is telling us about theirs missfortune I dont take this as "B,M,W. Maybe not every one is as lucky as you or me are.Remember ,,,,this could be the same guy that some day may pull on the side to ask you if you,(I), need any help [/quote]
virgilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:20 PM   #1285
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,701

Hey, speaking of EWS antennas, go out and try to start your bike with the antenna unplugged.

If that is true, then if the EWS is unplugged, the pair of leads may need a 120ohm terminating resistor.

From looking at the circuitry in the ECU board, the pair of communication leads to the EWS antenna seem like they might be a CANbus interface. Though separate from the CANbus network on the rest of the bike.

It's a thought anyway I mean, there are security screws on the EWS, and I think those are separate from the security screws on the ignition switch. So maybe unplugging the EWS and adding a termination resistor will do the trick.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:21 PM   #1286
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,701
Some EWS info from BMW...

From a 1200GS Technical Training manual.

Immobilizer code data structure.
The codes used during the handshake are generated from an Immobilizer Rolling Code table assigned to the VIN at the time of manufacturing. The BMS-K and corresponding ignition keys are encoded with this unique data making them an electronically mated pair for one particular motorcycle. The code table provides the codes for each key and a source for BMS-K to check the generated code for each key. Of the three keys supplied with a new motorcycle, each one is uniquely identified (key #, ie: 1, 2, or 3). Each key additionally then has a unique immobilizer code.

During the key on sequence, the BMS-K first identifies the key sending the code data and then confirms the transmitted immobilizer code for that key. There is the possibility of a maximum of ten keys per system possible. However they must be ordered specifically by the VIN, and activated with the GT1.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:16 PM   #1287
PDsgt
Realistic about life

Oddometer: 304
Been reading this thread for the last 4 hours while watching TV. Have not seen a failure reported concerning the latest 136-1 part number. Anyone have a failure with that part? When i call my dealer for an extra ring, he will tell me that the problem has been fixed, and I want to be able to say no it isn't. So and So had a failure on his newest part. I have #136-1 on my 08 GS and hope they have the problem corrected.
PDsgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:41 AM   #1288
dometop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by klrobins
for what its worth I just had my antenna ring changed last week under warantee. Part number 61-35-7-696-463
Kristi, were the last three digits (136) followed by -01. I have seen the 136 number listed both ways on this forum.
dometop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:55 AM   #1289
IND GS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Third EWS Failure !!

Ok, I dont know what the record is but I've been hit with the EWS THREE times !! lucky for me it happened at home before a weekend ride. Since I have done the work before, I could swap in the new EWS ring under 1/2 hour. So now I have 3 worthless EWS rings including the original once that came with the bike. (Can you believe I have 4 spares !! bought 2 from Singapore and 2 from Chicago BMW in the US). So far the failed ones were the parts out of Singapore and now am using the one from the US.

My mechanic is trying to work around the EWS. Hopefully he will come up with a solution soon or I will probably need to stock up again on antenna's. I love this bike to death but this is gettting to be a bit too much. I have a 07 GS with about 1K miles on it.
IND GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:09 AM   #1290
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klrobins
I purchased my [spare] antenna ring about 9 months ago. It is the same part no., ending in 463. Which of course leads us to the conclusion that:
1. Your dealer is using old part nos., since BMW is not replenishing parts inventory with new(er) parts inventory
2. Your dealer uses what they have in stock as a result of result of item 1.
3. BMW is not committed to furnishing the 'latest part no.' and are depleting whatever they have
4. BMW knows it's really the same part, with different numbers
5. No one knows what the problem is, so, any part will do
6. All of the above
7. None of the above