View Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-26-2007, 04:04 PM   #121
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Oddometer: 5,375
Thanks Jim,

I just emailed them this: It's a bit alarming but maybe someone will respond if we all email them.
To Whom it may concern:

Myself and many other riders are extremely discouraged and not confident in our motorcycles ability to be ridden far from home due to the many, many EWS failures and the long waits to fix them. I feel it should be an option and would gladly pay a large amount of money to have this feature disabled on my motorbike. I am hesitant to look at future BMW purchases because of this simple feature (EWS): If the Key or antenna fails it renders the motorbike..which otherwise is perfectly fine and able to be ridden..useless. BMW dealerships cannot repair this item without long stays at the dealership and usually the antenna is not in stock..leaving the motorcyclist stranded and out of a vacation or at the very least a nice ride and out of rides for the continuing months while one waits for a part. PLEASE CONSIDER FIXING THIS AND GIVING US, THE RIDER, THE OPTION TO DISABLE THIS UNPREDICTABLE FEATURE. I love everything about my BMW..but this one item is more than enough for me to consider selling it and not replacing it with another one of your products. Thank you for your time.
Bonebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:43 PM   #122
Snowdog
Ruminative confabulator

Oddometer: 110
Eh? Get this...

So I bring my ST to the dealer to get an annual inspection. When done, I get on the bike to take off.

'EWS' error. OH NO, not my bike too. So I remove and try the key again. Same problem, right in the dealers parking lot!

Then I noticed the kill switch was off..........

70 R75/5
96 R1100GS
05 R1200ST

Homer Simpson "Alcohol, the cause of and solution to all life's problems."
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:01 PM   #123
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog
So I bring my ST to the dealer to get an annual inspection. When done, I get on the bike to take off.

'EWS' error. OH NO, not my bike too. So I remove and try the key again. Same problem, right in the dealers parking lot!

Then I noticed the kill switch was off..........
The first time I turned the kill switch...no power..no nothing on trying to start her up..freaked me out too

Here's the response I got from BMW:

Dear Mr. Cook:

Thank you for contacting BMW Motorrad USA. We are sorry to learn of your dissatisfaction with the EWS system on your motorcycle.

We appreciate that you have taken the time to provide us with your feedback regarding this machine. The comments and information provided to us by our customers are necessary so that we can continue to improve our products and services in the future. Please be assured the quality of our motorcycles receives our constant attention and that your comments will be forwarded to the appropriate department for review

If you have any further questions, please respond to this e-mail or contact the Customer Relations and Services Department at 1-800-831-1117. Our office hours are Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time.

Regards,
Tony Giannobile
BMW Motorrad USA

Old 06-26-2007, 05:40 PM   #124
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,838
It's better than get no reply at all.. of course, if they get a few hundred emails about the EWS maybe, maybe.. this will filter to the people making the decisions at a higher level..
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:57 PM   #125
gpothoven
whatever

Oddometer: 2,129
Sent, except I edited this part:

"I feel it should be an option and would gladly pay a large amount of money to have this feature disabled on my motorbike."

For this:

"I feel it should be an option and would like the option of having this feature disabled on my motorbike."

I feel I paid enough as it is...
gpothoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 06:56 PM   #126
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpothoven

"I feel it should be an option and would gladly pay a large amount of money to have this feature disabled on my motorbike."

For this:

"I feel it should be an option and would like the option of having this feature disabled on my motorbike."

I did send my VIN# as well..as to be taken seriously..I haven't had any trouble with my EWS and I hope I don't..but this motorcycle makes me want to take her far and away from home..it's something I shouldn't have to even think of worying about..there is enough crap that can happen when on two wheels as it is
Old 06-26-2007, 06:57 PM   #127
Gum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
Key

Gday, Im new to this and im still waiting on my HP2, thus the dumb question. I take it this it the key that packs up ????. If so a spare key will fix it ?????. Please tell me this is so. I plan on taking this bike accross Australia, through the desert. How much fun will this be, worring that at any time it wont start. Thanks Gum .
Gum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 07:36 PM   #128
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gum
Gday, Im new to this and im still waiting on my HP2, thus the dumb question. I take it this it the key that packs up ????. If so a spare key will fix it ?????. Please tell me this is so. I plan on taking this bike accross Australia, through the desert. How much fun will this be, worring that at any time it wont start. Thanks Gum .
Gum,

I really wouldn't worry about it..this thread is about a few (very, very, small percentage) of GS/HP2 riders who have had there EWS system fail for one reason or another. The issue that is important here is that is the system doing what it is supposed to (keep bike from being lifted) and is it worth the effort for something that could and has stranded a few of our bretheren in the middle of nowhere) Most all riders have never had and never will have any problems with there bikes as far as EWS is concerned..but we (speaking for everyone) would like the option to have it removed. Ride away..I'm leaving on a 7K mile trip in a few weeks..you won't find me hesitating to go cause of this.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:09 PM   #129
gpothoven
whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonebag
Gum,

I really wouldn't worry about it..this thread is about a few (very, very, small percentage) of GS/HP2 riders who have had there EWS system fail for one reason or another. The issue that is important here is that is the system doing what it is supposed to (keep bike from being lifted) and is it worth the effort for something that could and has stranded a few of our bretheren in the middle of nowhere) Most all riders have never had and never will have any problems with there bikes as far as EWS is concerned..but we (speaking for everyone) would like the option to have it removed. Ride away..I'm leaving on a 7K mile trip in a few weeks..you won't find me hesitating to go cause of this.
I agree 100%. I'm most concerned with BMW's piss poor attitude than with anything else...
Old 06-26-2007, 08:25 PM   #130
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gum
I take it this it the key that packs up ????. If so a spare key will fix it ?????.
Generally, it's not the key that packs up, it's the ring antenna around the key hole.. this one when it goes, it just goes.. you come to start your bike and you see EWS on your LCD display and it doesn't go away. Your trip is over. If you get an intermittent EWS display and then the bike starts, according to my dealer, it's the key that's having a problem.

This isn't to be confused with seeing EWS everytime you turn the key on and the LCD display runs thru several icons, and EWS does flash on to say the key has been challenged for the right code and has passed the test.
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 08:48 AM   #131
gpothoven
whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpothoven

For this:

Here´s the reply:

Dear :

Thank you for contacting BMW Motorrad USA regarding EWS. We value our customers' input, and your idea will be directed to the appropriate department for review and consideration.

Newer developments reflecting the wishes and needs of our customers continue to evolve. For decades, we have created vehicles and services delivering superior safety, quality, and value to our customers.

BMW is attuned and responsive to the sentiments of our customer. We are pleased to count you as a member of our family and appreciate your remarks.

If you have any further questions, please respond to this e-mail or contact the Customer Relations and Services Department at 1-800-831-1117. Our office hours are Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time.

Regards,
Jay Williams
BMW Motorrad USA
Old 06-27-2007, 09:12 AM   #132
adamr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Wow. I didn't even get a reply.
adamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:00 AM   #133
scibeer
Lost

Oddometer: 889
Are you guys with this problem getting loaner bikes while you wait 3 f'ing weeks for these repairs? I hope you're making it as expensive as possible to BMW.
scibeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:41 PM   #134
mrmaico
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,704
My message to BMW:

To whom it may concern,

Hi, I am writing to voice my concern about the EWS system on my 2005 R1200GS. I am wondering if there is any way that a software code or something could be developed to allow the owner to have this "feature" disabled? I live 300 miles from my nearest dealer and I would be very upset if I had to haul my motorcycle 6 hours to have this repaired on an otherwise perfectly good bike. I have read of many people having problems that require the antenna ring to be replaced and it seems the dealers don't always have them in stock. I realize that on the internet you'll usually just hear of the people who are having problems but the fact remains that there ARE problems with the EWS. It makes me wary to go on a long trip with my bike having to worry about something going wrong with the EWS leaving me stranded in the middle of nowhere. Thank you Barry Buelow

And the reply:

Dear Enthusiast:

Thank you for contacting BMW Motorrad USA regarding the EWS on your R 1200 GS.
We appreciate your interest in our brand.

Unfortunately, we at this location are not trained in a technical capacity
concerning our motorcycles. We are sorry that we are not able to resolve this
issue for you immediately. Please see the service manager at your authorized
BMW Retailer who is best equipped to address this concern and offer you
technical feedback.

If you have any further questions, please respond to this e-mail or contact the
Customer Relations and Services Department at 1-800-831-1117. Our office hours
are Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time.

Regards,
Jay Williams
BMW Motorrad USA

mrmaico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:47 PM   #135
mx125
Knob from Canada

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonebag
Gum,

Mine might be an unwanted question at this point . .but assuming the EWS does work for 98% of bikes . . and by creating no easy system bypass (even by skilled engineers, of which there are many on this site), does that not create a meaningful deterrent to theives?

The reality that some owners don't want it is a separate issue. Perhaps actual theft numbers are the proof. Have GS's proven to be less common targets?

If yes, then the lack of any bypass or 911 type mod just shows sign of a strong security method by BMW. . no?

London bike theft is rampant and they love GS's there. Perhaps some have insight.
mx125 is offline   Reply With Quote