0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-30-2008, 04:31 PM   #1336
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside
Someone send me a DOA antenna. Now please.

I'll see if the dealer will let me keep the 463 disco'd model. If so, I will. Will let you know!
Old 04-30-2008, 04:32 PM   #1337
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Maybe you can let me borrow one of your bikes this summer.. I'll fly down, pick it up, ride to Wyoming for the MOA rally and ride back, after I do a tour of Colorado and Arizona... I should have slapped on another 10,000 km.. for you..

Sheesh, I'd better test my spare ring even though my bike has close to 20K miles..
What I'm about to say makes no logical sense, but could a 'corrupted' ring caused by something else, also corrupt the spare ring. That is, the bad ring is the sympton not the cause?
Old 04-30-2008, 04:38 PM   #1338
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,757

Thank you. :fingerscrossed

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:43 PM   #1339
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
John,

As my old memory serves me the technique that might work is to plug in the spare "new" antenna, invert it over the old antenna-key way and then put your key in and try it..

I also understand that once you start it the antenna is NA...and can be unplugged and stowed..

Give it a shot...good luck!
The dealer also suggest getting the new ring as far away from the old ring as possible/interaction. I don't think this is a BMW workaround, but trying all of the permutations/combos that one could think of. E.g. disconnect the battery, which implies a truly 'cold boot'. But if any of them worked once, I'm not convinced it was not coincidence and not a slam-dunk cure! Sorry to bring bad news...am seriously thinking of getting another pig barge as it's the only tourer in the inventory without CAN-bus.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:51 PM   #1340
Poolside
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar
The dealer also suggest getting the new ring as far away from the old ring as possible/interaction.

Sorry to bring bad news...am seriously thinking of getting another pig barge as it's the only tourer in the inventory without CAN-bus.
Was the transponder key used in the ignition switch, with an adjacent EWS antenna plugged into the ECU?

You might try using a non-transponder key in the ignition, with the transponder key placed within the adjacent EWS antenna.

(p.s.: Which model is the pig barge?)

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 04-30-2008, 04:52 PM   #1341
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,382
Quote:
.am seriously thinking of getting another pig barge as it's the only tourer in the inventory without CAN-bus.
Forget the LT.. I'd get a Gold Wing.. The LT has fully integral servo brakes (you can't apply just the rear brake), and the old style FD.. and it feels so underpowered compared to the new K1200 transverse engine.. You've given bmw enough money, if you're looking to get a luxo couch, I'd go with the GL1800. But your K1200GT is plenty capable of long distance touring in comfort.. just test the spare ring this time..

It's my "dream bike" (the GL1800)

Old 04-30-2008, 04:55 PM   #1342
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Was the transponder key used in the ignition switch, with an adjacent EWS antenna plugged into the ECU?

You might try using a non-transponder key in the ignition, with the transponder key placed within the adjacent EWS antenna.

(p.s.: Which model is the pig barge?)

Not sure I understand Jim. I unplugged the harness and plugged the harness into the spare. I inserted all three keys to attempt a start. I don't have any keys without 'electronics' built in?

Pig barge is the KLT.
Old 04-30-2008, 04:59 PM   #1343
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Forget the LT.. I'd get a Gold Wing.. The LT has fully integral servo brakes (you can't apply just the rear brake), and the old style FD.. and it feels so underpowered compared to the new K1200 transverse engine.. You've given bmw enough money, if you're looking to get a luxo couch, I'd go with the GL1800. But your K1200GT is plenty capable of long distance touring in comfort.. just test the spare ring this time..

It's my "dream bike" (the GL1800)

I have an '07 GT Rick, and you are right. I had an '04 LT for a while and an '05 LT for a couple of years. It was reliable as hell. But, it is a pig barge. Actually, I went by the Honda dealer to see if they had any info on the new model GW that was supposed to be introduced in Sep. Maybe the Beemers KNEW? I just asked, the DS salespeople didn't even know there was going to be a new model. And yeah, I also did want the cleaner/wax.

But Rick, the GW is the worst bike for making me feel old. I'm no paragon of manhood, but I've managed to stay in shape at 160 lbs and I just don't want to have any stuffed animals on my topcase. But, the new GW looks interesting, but don't know what it looks like, just read some specs.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:01 PM   #1344
Poolside
Syndicated

Quote:
Not sure I understand Jim. I unplugged the harness and plugged the harness into the spare. I inserted all three keys to attempt a start. I don't have any keys without 'electronics' built in?

Pig barge is the KLT.
If I remember, way back in this thread several people were talking about a plastic ignition key. And that the plastic ignition key doesn't have a transponder.

pig barge, got it

Old 04-30-2008, 05:04 PM   #1345
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

If I remember, way back in this thread several people were talking about a plastic ignition key. And that the plastic ignition key doesn't have a transponder.

pig barge, got it

No Jim, the plastic key also has a transponder. Works the same as the metal key (I actually saw the plastic key apart and saw the electronics) and of course it does start the bike as the metal key, when ring working.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:23 PM   #1346
Poolside
Syndicated

Quote:
No Jim, the plastic key also has a transponder. Works the same as the metal key (I actually saw the plastic key apart and saw the electronics) and of course it does start the bike as the metal key, when ring working.
Ahh. Once too many times around the block.

Well maybe it was use two keys. One key the adjacent antenna that's plugged in the ECU, and another key in the ignition switch with the unplugged antenna.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:56 PM   #1347
DaveT
Irv Seaver Parts

Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Owning three (3) current model CAN-bus bikes, only the GS Adv ('07) has experienced a failure. The other two, NO.

Last fall, in anticipation of a long trip I purchase a spare ring. I have the ring and it's one of the discontinued models listed i.e. ending in 463.

You post(s) implied VIN specificity, but it's the same ring for all of my bikes. Also, does it make sense for me to talk to my dealer's parts manager and exchange out for the latest? Or, is my assertion that they are all failing, so what's the sense?
I also carry one of the 'older' numbers, new and unused and paid by me, in my tool kit. I expect it to serve adequately if I ever need to emergency-activate it in the field. I see no reason to replace my spare for a 'newer' spare.
DaveTownsend@IrvSeaverBMW.com
2005 R1200GS
2007 G650X-Challenge
DaveT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:01 PM   #1348
DaveT
Irv Seaver Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
Dave,

I do thank you for a candid response and to my knowledge your are the only BMW dealer that has spoken up...but damn Dave!

No compelling reason for you or any dealer to pick up the phone and bother BMW with a question! Gawd forbid!

Give me a break here....just selling an antenna to a customer after running the VIN and never, never asking why the hell they are failing and why there are seemingly endless "new" versions?

Compelling reason Dave: Service and responsibility to the customers that bought the bikes. Forget the "bad form" and deliver substance.

Are BMW dealers afraid of BMW pulling their dealerships if they question problems with the bike? Dealers seem to just pass the buck by saying; "BMW has not informed us" and BMW says "See your dealer"...Pure Catch-22.

No compelling reason to make an inquire...what a crock!
This website and its users occasionally get the (arguable) benefit of my time and attention. You may want to put my user name on 'ignore' if you find my inputs leave a bad taste in your mouth. Alternatively, you may consider requesting from me a full refund of all the cash you have ever paid me for technical information.
2005 R1200GS
2007 G650X-Challenge
Old 04-30-2008, 06:05 PM   #1349
DaveT
Irv Seaver Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonLargiader
Wow, guys. Shoot the messenger. IMO Dave contributes some pretty good info here.

I wouldn't consider fueling this threadfest to be a compelling reason for a dealership to ask their BMWNA contact to run around looking for answers to fairly vague questions. If Irv Seaver's keeping their customers happy, great. Why not talk to your own dealer and convince him that he has a reason to ask?
Thank you, sir. Clouded vision, misplaced frustration and skewed reasoning do not seem to be among your ailments.
2005 R1200GS
2007 G650X-Challenge
Old 04-30-2008, 06:09 PM   #1350
DaveT
Irv Seaver Parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden

That said, I know a couple dealers who would go to bat for the customer, and who would stand up and ask the hard questions of BMW, and have.

Jim
Please give me the thread names and post numbers on Adv-rider where those dealers you mention have rendered answers to the questions you say I do not care enough to pursue.
2005 R1200GS
2007 G650X-Challenge