Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-01-2008, 08:06 AM   #1366
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,139
I would also like to thank DaveT for the info that he's posted. I admit that I also did a double-take when I read what he wrote, but like others have said, he doesn't owe me anything, so I'm glad he took the trouble to post.

Moreover, the other BMW dealers that I've asked about this deny any knowledge of any issue with EWS ("oh, yeah, we may have changed one or two..."), much less a problem. Good thing that only other dealers' customers are having EWS problems!
motoreiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:11 AM   #1367
ylexot
Super Genius

Oddometer: 780
Has anyone measured the resistance of working and failed rings?

Another idea...instead of a spare ring, how about EWS ring "jumper cables"? Got a failure? Find someone else with an EWS equipped bike (i.e. riding partner or from the BMWMOA book) and hook their ring to your bike using the jumper cables (just a set of wires a couple feet long). Then use your spare key in their ignition (for the EWS signal) and your main key in your ignition. Start it up, unhook the jumper cable, grab your spare key, and off you go...to the dealer
ylexot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:49 AM   #1368
skmiller47
ImaFrayedKnot

Oddometer: 8
EWS jumpers? That's an interesting concept. Anyone tried this procedure? This could be more cost effective than packing a spare antenna ring along. Of course you'd have to cull all your non-EWS riding partners from your herd and never ride solo again.

Seriously, I wonder if this is viable.

Steve
...Agoura CA
skmiller47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:59 AM   #1369
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,378
DaveT, thanks for the info you have provided us on this site

If youse think that some tech over the phone at HQ is going to give you or any dealer the reason for the multiple changes to the part numbers of the EWS ring antenna, you're dreaming. He'd have no clue too..

One thing is certain: BMW is NOT ignoring this problem, since there seems to a flurry of part numbers coming down the pipeline.

Ultimately, the fix is to have a firmware update to the BMS-K computer allowing riders with failed antenna's to punch in a series of buttons (turn signal, turn signal cancel switch, etc..) that will permit us to bypass the EWS antenna and allowing us to fekkin' ride..
Old 05-01-2008, 09:06 AM   #1370
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty hill
Jim,

This is the first time I'll take the other side from yours. He doesn't owe us a damn thing. At times he has given us good info that he could have withheld.
Who the hell are we to ask anything of him? If I were his customer, I might be in a position to ask for his help...but you and I are not.

Some of the other posters were even more out of line, so this isn't just for you. I will add that I am not one who is a jerk most of the time.
Marty,

No problem.

I agree, he owes us nothing, and him beeing a dealer should not matter at all. Personality aside, DaveT has often given great information, and I am sure we all appreciate it.

If I ask his help, I may have once, I have no expectation of an official answer. My comments were not necessarily about DaveT specifically, but about the attitude many dealers have that we as customers don't rate in them taking the time and effort to query BMW about issues, and give us straight answers. Dave's comments were merely indicative of that attitude.

It matters not at all if they are on a forum, or I am in there store, I get the same responses from them.

Then the point got sidetracked from there and it went personal for some. That DaveT is on the forum giving out information is great, that he said
Quote:
Have you asked BMW what has changed in these antenna, and have you asked why they are going through these changes?? (question to DaveT)

No, to date I have not. Besides idle curiosity, or perhaps worry about my own EWS-equipped bike, I have no compelling need to know. BMW USA HQ happens to staff a phone-equipped English-speaking dealer-only technical desk. We try to limit our contacts with them to compelling needs, and consider it bad form to ask the tech desk to pursue such questions when compelling need is absent.
Shows he really doesn't care what the problem is, or is unwilling to ask BMW. Fine, no problem, but this is how many dealers seem to feel, and that is wrong. IMHO

Again, sorry to DaveT, I should not have let it get personal!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:40 AM   #1371
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylexot
Has anyone measured the resistance of working and failed rings?

Another idea...instead of a spare ring, how about EWS ring "jumper cables"? Got a failure? Find someone else with an EWS equipped bike (i.e. riding partner or from the BMWMOA book) and hook their ring to your bike using the jumper cables (just a set of wires a couple feet long). Then use your spare key in their ignition (for the EWS signal) and your main key in your ignition. Start it up, unhook the jumper cable, grab your spare key, and off you go...to the dealer
Likely the connectors as expensive as the spare ring. And, WTF knows, maybe in the end you now have two (2) bikes that don't run! At least with the spare you may have a fighting chance...
Old 05-01-2008, 10:50 AM   #1372
supaparty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Peace of Mind

I think the biggest peace of mind of never having an EWS issue in 13k miles on my 07 GSA and having a spare ring in my tool tube that I've swapped out and fully tested in the garage, is that I never have to read this friggin' thread ever again! This is worse than the crap my wife reads in her girly magazines!
'99 WR400 (Dual sport bike)
supaparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:55 AM   #1373
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by supaparty
I think the biggest peace of mind of never having an EWS issue in 13k miles on my 07 GSA and having a spare ring in my tool tube that I've swapped out and fully tested in the garage, is that I never have to read this friggin' thread ever again! This is worse than the crap my wife reads in her girly magazines!
Hmmm, I'm presuming that you must have one of the folks from the firearm threadfest with a Sig Sauer 239 pointed at your head forcing you to read this thread, unless you were trying to say something else?
Old 05-01-2008, 03:10 PM   #1374
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,751

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
PS But I have to add that I think it sucks that we can bash on BMW, dealers, and bikes all day long, but as soon as we make a similar comment and a Inmate dealer's feelings get hurt, some get huffy about it, usually the ones being jerks the rest of the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwf
Negative Pool Boy--I didn't charaterize only BMW dealers but rather the industry in general.
You thought I was serious? I'm just mocking fellas. In the language that usually comes my way. You thought I was serious? Didn't you recognize the words?

Jim, you want to go after DaveT because of your beliefs about how BMW customer service should be, why stop because of current popular opinion?

p.s.: I remember DaveT and I did our share of wrastlin', back in the day.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation

Poolside screwed with this post 05-01-2008 at 03:15 PM
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 03:30 PM   #1375
dwf
2007 R1200GS Adventure

Oddometer: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside

Jim, you want to go after DaveT because of your beliefs about how BMW customer service should be, why stop because of current popular opinion?
dwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 03:41 PM   #1376
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,170
Question To Those Who Have Been Stuck With "EWS"

A question for those who have had their bike immobilized and had the "EWS" display..

'Did the dealer replacing your antenna tell you what failed in the antenna or why a new antenna would rectify the problem?'

Thanks..
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:00 AM   #1377
dometop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
This is a followup to my original post regarding the antennae ring part number. When I ordered the part my dealer said the latest part number he had just received from BMW was 61357705247 priced at $82.50. I decided not to pick up the part until I received confirmation from someone on this site that this was truly the latest number. Thanks you Dave T for the information you provided which was verified by my dealer when I picked up the Ring yesterday. Hopefully this will be the last updeate (unlikely).
dometop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:13 AM   #1378
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen
This thread is WAY too personal.

Apologies are in order.

I'd suggest the antagonists start 1st.

JJ

Old 05-02-2008, 08:13 AM   #1379
Tigerstar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
EWS on New 08 Adventure

I had my bike 1 week and one day when I went to go for a ride nothing happened. The EWS indicator came on. The dealer now has the bike. I understand that the probable cause is the ring antena. My question is does this happen a lot and what the heck do you do when it happens off road where cell phones don't work? If carrying an extra is the answer how much and how hard is it to replace?
Thanks for any help!
Tigerstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:19 AM   #1380
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Sorry, Dude. Major PITA, that is.

Everything you could possibly want to know, plus arguments and pissing contests, can be found in this ... the mother of all EWS threads:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245456

I'd start at the most recent and -- to the extent you can stand it -- work backwards.

Long story short: we don't know anything.
NBeener is offline   Reply With Quote