Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2008, 11:13 AM   #1396
Whiskey Tango
Formerly "GSG2G"

Oddometer: 532
Curing a headache.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman
Has anyone noticed that no-one bitches about final drives any more?

Surefire guaranteed method of curing a migrane:

Remove your left (or right, if you prefer) shoe. Hold a cement block up over your head. Then, accurately drop the cement block onto you shoeless foot. Migrane is instantly gone - works every time!
'09 KLR 650 - Black Ops Black R.I.P.
'04 H-D Heritage Softtail - Daytona Special
Drive Medical Design & Manuf. 9-spoke

Many, many formers; some R.I.P.

All Will Die But Not All Will Live

1*
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 01:59 PM   #1397
xlcr
Stop being a dick, dick.

Oddometer: 4,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSG2G
Surefire guaranteed method of curing a migrane:

Remove your left (or right, if you prefer) shoe. Hold a cement block up over your head. Then, accurately drop the cement block onto you shoeless foot. Migrane is instantly gone - works every time!

Same principle as acupuncture. It's hard to think about your migraine when someone is poking you with sharp sticks.
xlcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:23 PM   #1398
SGAdventure
n00b

Oddometer: 9
EWS fears

Hi,

I am new to the forum. I just bought my first GS a couple of weeks ago. I regret that, after buying the bike (which I do love) I had to come looking for this thread.

I got the dreaded EWS warning and my bike wouldn't start 3.5 hours from home. We were all geared up and heading for a ride in Thailand and I got the warning. After an hour of trying, I gave up and called BWM for towing (of course it was a national holiday too so the shop was not open). Next day, call BMW, they said started right up and rode it into the garage. They said they could find no problem. So, picked up the bike and went to Thailand for the night.

Once there, I bumped into some riders from where I live (Singapore) and guess what, one of the GS rider's bike would not start because of EWS. He had tried for two days. He has had this problem chronically he said. I dunno if he ever got it started or had it towed.

The thing that sucks now is, I am very wary of riding my GS all over Thailand, Laos, and other less developed countries (the reason I bought the bike) because I never know if it will start. Mechanical failure is always a possibility, but this, for some reason, really saps my confidence. I hold my breath every time I turn the key on now.

Let's hope BMW gets it sorted.
SGAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:33 PM   #1399
SocalRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,437
Simple fix is to carry a spare. $85 bucks for a spare should be within ability to a rider of a $20K bike.

As Hitler said, "you could buy a really nice bike for that much money. Really nice."

'07 White (the coolest color) GSA rider
'13 Husky Strada & '14 KTM 690 Enduro
SocalRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:04 PM   #1400
JStancampiano
PhotoJoe

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Simple fix is to carry a spare. $85 bucks for a spare should be within ability to a rider of a $20K bike.
Where are you getting this part for $85 My dealer wants $152.00 for it.

Joe
JStancampiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:16 PM   #1401
SGAdventure
n00b

Getting old fast

I just went to wash my bike after posting to this thread. EWS alert now. This is going to get old fast . . .
Old 05-03-2008, 08:18 PM   #1402
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStancampiano
Where are you getting this part for $85 My dealer wants $152.00 for it.

Joe
there's a new part number and a new lower price.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:22 PM   #1403
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGAdventure
I just went to wash my bike after posting to this thread. EWS alert now. This is going to get old fast . . .
Usually, there's no advance warning.. the antenna fails and you cannot start it again. Your next ride should be to your dealer's. Get the antenna replaced, they are probably not familiar with this issue, and buy a spare, as noted above, the price is now $82, and carry a Torx 10 driver to remove the 2 small screws to remove the cover off the front of the antenna, exposing the wiring harness. You unplug the harness from the defective antenna, plug in the spare, insert the spare key into the spare antenna so the chip can be read, and start the bike with your other key. You can then unplug the spare antenna and ride.

Also, it has been reported here once, that the spare antenna was dead out of the box, so if you get one, be sure to test it.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:27 PM   #1404
SGAdventure
n00b

All three keys

I have tried all three key with all of them dangling around the switch. Nothing. I guess I am going to have to send it to the dealer. If I ride it there, very unlikely they will replace it under warranty.

I guess I will give it a try in a few hours . . .
Old 05-03-2008, 08:32 PM   #1405
SGAdventure
n00b

EWS Sensor location

Does anyone have a pic of where this chip sensor (antenna)is? I am not 100% sure from looking at the diagram posted earlier in this thread.

I assume it is the little square box in front of the key housing.

Thanks for the help!

SGAdventure screwed with this post 05-03-2008 at 08:57 PM
Old 05-03-2008, 09:21 PM   #1406
dwf
2007 R1200GS Adventure

Oddometer: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGAdventure
Does anyone have a pic of where this chip sensor (antenna)is? I am not 100% sure from looking at the diagram posted earlier in this thread.

I assume it is the little square box in front of the key housing.

Thanks for the help!
That's it. You will need a 10 Torx to revove the two screws from the cover to reach where the wire plugs in. Also check the Gspot FAQ above for additional links to pictures, etc.
dwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:41 PM   #1407
dwf
2007 R1200GS Adventure

Oddometer: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalRob
Thats a bit harsh. I think they care a little bit at least

Part of the problem here from the consumer perspective is that its hard for us to guage the scope of a problem. Is the antennae ring /EWS failure (or FD for that matter) 1/10 of a percent, 1 percent, or 10 percent? I do get a bit tired when a dealer's stock reply is "everything you read on the internet is wrong" or, with final drives, "in 3 years we have only seen 3 final drive failures", the first of which is unlikely as I don't believe in absolutes too often, and the second of which seems highly unlikely just from knowledge about personal friends who have had failures. So DWF (divorced white female?) I agree, it would be great if BMW was a more open corporation. But they are not, and not likely to be anytime soon.

I also give DaveT from Irv Seaver's the benefit of the doubt, when he says its not worth his limited/valuable time to screw around with BMW corp. If the EWS failure is uncommon (less than 1 percent?) then why indeed should he? Now if 10 percent of his customers are showing up with EWS failures, then I'm pretty sure it would be worth his while to look into it.

I am guessing that it is a pretty uncommon failure, and that the same 20 of us bitch & moan about it. Of course what is even worse is that most of those 20 have never had the failure, we're just WORRIED ABOUT IT.

My GSA has 12K miles on it. I'm just trying to hold off from buying a spare ring until they seem to be truly fixed, or stop dropping in price. I any event, I do plan on buying one before a trip this summer, so I guess I'm just as anal-retentive-geeky as the worst of you FF's

All valid points Rob. It's just exacerbating when there is such a disconnect between the customer and the company and more specifically the customer and the dealers as they ARE the Company for most of us. Ultimately, I don't spend a lot of time worrying about antennaes, final drives, et. al. If it breaks I'll fix it and keep on riding----which I believe is what BMW is counting on. Not an ideal management strategy from a customer's perspective but I guess it has worked for them so far. I also guess I will also buy one those $85 insurance polices as well.
dwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:14 PM   #1408
SGAdventure
n00b

Grrrrr

It is now working. Thanks for the comments. I am off to BMW tomorrow to see if I can get this replace. I am guessing only if I pay for it, not under warranty.
Old 05-04-2008, 02:58 AM   #1409
IND GS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
I had the same problem with the EWS (3 times) and bought the antenna at performance motors. Unfortunately both parts I got their failed and now am using the antenna i sourced from the USA. I believe the antenna I bought in PM have a one year warranty and just need to drop by to get it replaced. I had my security bolts replaced with regular bolts in any case it might happend again (which it did, at home). Let me know how the it goes at the dealer.
IND GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 03:13 AM   #1410
heavyjeffd
Godless Heathen™

Oddometer: 158
Excuse my ignorance about the subject, but is the ring antenna/EWS immobilizer stuff basically just a type of theft prevention via security key of some sort (ie: reads the chip in the key, etc.)?

I"ve read through most of this thread (and most of this forum) as I will be buying a GSA in the next 6 months and am just trying to gather as much information as possible before I purchase.

Sorry to ask such a noob question.