0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-04-2008, 04:15 PM   #1426
SGAdventure
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by IND GS
I had the same problem with the EWS (3 times) and bought the antenna at performance motors. Unfortunately both parts I got their failed and now am using the antenna i sourced from the USA. I believe the antenna I bought in PM have a one year warranty and just need to drop by to get it replaced. I had my security bolts replaced with regular bolts in any case it might happend again (which it did, at home). Let me know how the it goes at the dealer.

Thanks. I will go by PML tomorrow morning.
SGAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:55 PM   #1427
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,205
Hmmm..Which Kill Switch? There Are Two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalRob
I'm pretty sure the lemon law used to exempt motorcycles, maybe it has been changed though.

The only time I use the kill switch is when I've dropped the bike or when I park on a good uphill slope & am leaving it in gear. Neither happens very much. No EWS for me yet, so theory is holding.
Interesting Rob...I assume on the uphill you are referring to the sidestand kill switch which kills the engine when you put the side stand down and bike is in gear..

AND....When you drop the bike you use the kill switch on the handle bar?

So which kill switch is being looked at as a possible source of the "EWS"?
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:08 PM   #1428
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
The red one on your right hand controls. Where' the second one? Probably just another internet rumor.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:12 PM   #1429
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyjeffd
Excuse my ignorance about the subject, but is the ring antenna/EWS immobilizer stuff basically just a type of theft prevention via security key of some sort (ie: reads the chip in the key, etc.)?
It's an electronic immobilizer, the key has a chip and there's a ring antenna around the key hole which sends a signal to the key and reads the key code before allowing bike to start. If you see EWS on your LCD screen, the bike will not start. Some of us are now carrying a spare ($82) for the latest version of the EWS ring antenna.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:16 PM   #1430
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

GB This Is The Second Kill Switch..

Quote:
Interesting Rob...I assume on the uphill you are referring to the sidestand kill switch which kills the engine when you put the side stand down and bike is in gear..

AND....When you drop the bike you use the kill switch on the handle bar?
[the red one you referred to]

Am I zoned out here? Kill switch on sidestand/kill switch on handlebar.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:36 PM   #1431
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,824

Quote:
Am I zoned out here? Kill switch on sidestand/kill switch on handlebar.
But wait. There's more...

Pseudo-killswitches that exist as various combinations of the gear position rotary switch input, the sidestand switch, and the clutch lever switch.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:36 PM   #1432
heavyjeffd
Godless Heathen™

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
It's an electronic immobilizer, the key has a chip and there's a ring antenna around the key hole which sends a signal to the key and reads the key code before allowing bike to start. If you see EWS on your LCD screen, the bike will not start. Some of us are now carrying a spare ($82) for the latest version of the EWS ring antenna.
Gotcha, that's more or less what I assumed, just wanted to be sure.

Thanks for the explanation.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:43 PM   #1433
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDsgt
Kill switch usage is another theory out there. People that never use it don't seem to have the issue. Seems that people who use it often have more of an issue. Just a theory though.
So far 2 out 3 of my bikes have had EWS failures/ring replacements. I never use the KILL switch...kill it by dropping sidestand in gear.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:47 PM   #1434
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
Mine got me today. This was the first hint of a problem. I rode 800 miles in the last two days. Memphis to Jasper AR and then a bunch of riding over in that area yesterday afternoon and today.

No problem until I pulled up to the street in front of my house. Jumped off the bike, turned it off. Opened my truck to hit my garage door opener. Then back on my bike to ride it up the driveway. Nothing but the "EWS!" & yellow triangle.

Hmmm......600 pound bike, steep driveway. Uh Oh.

turn the key off, go inside & grab the original key. (I have been using the $80 sapre key I ordered because BMW forgot to give us a spare) I feel safer with two

Try agian, nothing

I called BMW roadside. Eplained I was broke down, but just needed a push up my driveway (I do not know any of my neighbors)

Roadside, said they could not send someone out to help me push the bike up the hill. I said fine, send soemone out to pick up the bike & take it to the dealer, they are 200 miles away and open on Tuesday.

They said they would have soemone at my house within an hour.

I mess with the bike some more and get it started!!!!! Yeah!!!

I call BMW Roadside to cancel the call. She looks & looks in their system, but can not find any service "order." Their system shows I called with a problem, but that was it. Oh well, no worries I was calling to cancel anyway.

40 minutes after the original call BMW Roadside calls me back. We are sorry sir, but we do not have a contracted service provider in your area with the proper eqiupment to recover a BMW motorcycle. We also tried other service providers, but no one has the equipment to help you. (Hmmmmmmm all I needed was a push up a hill) I told her I was able to start the bike and get it secured in the garage. I asked her what would have happened if I was 250 miles from home in the same situation. She said I was on my own to get the bike to where it needed to be to be repaired. I then could submit a claim to BMW for possible reimbursment. Nice, guess I should never count on that.

OK, now the nitty gritty.

Bike is an 07 1200 Adventure with 3,306 miles
It was bought in April 2007
No keychain, no other keys close to the ring. No tank bag on the bike. (ever)
I nave never used the kill switch (EVER!) only the key.
I always wait the 5 seconds after turning on the key for the "check" to complete before starting
Bike has never been wet, rain or washing.
Bike has never been off-road
Last night in Jasper was the first night the bike sat outside all night.
Zumo hardwired to the battery.
Battery Tender pig-tail hardwired to the battery.
No other mods. or farkles

I know my dealer will take care of me, but this is a PIA & I am not certain I can trust this bike. I really think it is horrible that I have to carry around an $80 spare, "just in case". BMW Roadside is just about worthless. I live in a million people + metro area and they do not have a service provider with the proper equipment? God help you if you are in the boondocks.

This is a BMW corporate problem. They are adding features no one wants or asks for. Not one person in the US bought the bike for the security features of this system, I doubt anyone would say this added to reasons of why they bought this bike. I'm sure BMW theft might be a problem in other countries, but it is not here. I know, I know, global platform, It is more cost effective for them to make it one way for world wide consumption.

They better be careful, even the ones that have drank the koolaid are growing weary.

One week from today I will be visiting the BMW Welt in Munich. I wish I could throw together a EWS! T-shirt to wear. Think anyone would notice?
Old 05-04-2008, 06:51 PM   #1435
PDsgt
Realistic about life

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar
So far 2 out 3 of my bikes have had EWS failures/ring replacements. I never use the KILL switch...kill it by dropping sidestand in gear.
So in fact you are using a kill switch. Just not the one connected to the start button?

This would appear to give further proof that the theory is credible, that using the kill switch may cause your EWS antenna to fail.
PDsgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:27 PM   #1436
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

OK..I Give...A Translation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside

But wait. There's more...

Pseudo-killswitches that exist as various combinations of the gear position rotary switch input, the sidestand switch, and the clutch lever switch.

PS...Sorry, what is the message or point? That there are a lot of switches? Are you saying that there is a lot of circurity involved in shuting off the engine with a kill switch?

It would seem that a few of recent "EWS" victims do not stop the engine by using the handle bar kill switch OR the sidestand kill switch...so back to the drawing board...

Hesitate to ask...but has anyone gotten any explanation either directly from BMW, BMWNA or a BMW dealer on why their bikes are immobilized with the "EWS"? I still am hoping for word on-high....eventually it has to come; doesn't it?
Old 05-04-2008, 08:33 PM   #1437
Poolside
Syndicated

Quote:
PS...Sorry, what is the message or point? That there are a lot of switches?

I still am hoping for word on-high....eventually it has to come; doesn't it?
Yea, that's sorta the point, that there are many different ways to stop the motor, many involving CANbus communication between the the ECU and the ZMS.

It might have already been handed down. The current "word on-high" is, "Buy our new lower-priced EWS antenna. We make serious bank off of it."

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 05-04-2008, 08:50 PM   #1438
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Love Ya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside

Yea, that's sorta the point, that there are many different ways to stop the motor, many involving CANbus communication between the the ECU and the ZMS.

It might have already been handed down. The current "word on-high" is, "Buy our new lower-priced EWS antenna. We make serious bank off of it."

Ah an honest man! Thanks...by the way the CANbus, is it a solid means of signaling without hiccups? Is it "Phil" proof....still a mystery to me how the heck it gates messges without crossing them up...
Old 05-04-2008, 08:58 PM   #1439
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,895
Quote:
Ah an honest man! Thanks...by the way the CANbus, is it a solid means of signaling without hiccups? Is it "Phil" proof....still a mystery to me how the heck it gates messges without crossing them up...
Packets. It's all packets.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:09 PM   #1440
Poolside
Syndicated

Quote:
The CANbus specification is about as stout a physical interface as there is without converting to optical signaling say.

The 'software layer' spec too, is excellent in ensuring data integrity between many different masters and slaves on the CANbus.

And it seems like the CANbus on the BMW bikes is working without a hitch. If there were a CANbus problem it certainly would have surfaced by now.

I am not at all saying that there is a problem with the CANbus on BMW motorcycles.

Can the implementation be screwed up? Sure, royally. Just like anything else.

Based on the hardware on the ECU board, it is possible the EWS antenna talks to the ECU with a single wire CANbus, or a CAN-like derivative, or a home-brew protocol.