Old 05-04-2008, 11:43 PM   #1441
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,198
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside
But wait. There's more...

Pseudo-killswitches that exist as various combinations of the gear position rotary switch input, the sidestand switch, and the clutch lever switch.
When you move from hardware to software, the possibilities are endless
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:42 AM   #1442
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT
One week from today I will be visiting the BMW Welt in Munich. I wish I could throw together a EWS! T-shirt to wear. Think anyone would notice?
That would be a freakin' riot. Make me one, too!
Old 05-05-2008, 04:23 AM   #1443
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonLargiader
That would be a freakin' riot. Make me one, too!
Yeah, I really need to put it together. Who is our T shirt guy? I leave for Germany Saturday afternoon.

BMW EWS system. Lifetime final drive lube. Servo assisted brakes.

(08 plus cars have no oil dipstick, only an idiot light)

BMW, answering questions no one asked.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:37 AM   #1444
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDsgt
So in fact you are using a kill switch. Just not the one connected to the start button?

This would appear to give further proof that the theory is credible, that using the kill switch may cause your EWS antenna to fail.
Good point! I didn't read enough to understand. Now I do!
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:51 AM   #1445
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Why Is This Not as Big An Issue On Other Forums?

First, I am not taking pot shots at GSpot and this threadfest! I have had three (3) antenna ring failures. One of the three was a bad spare.

But, being a member of other BMW forums seems the antenna ring threadfest here is way, way out of proportion to other sites. Could be the popularity of this site compared to others, also, idiots like me posting on this threadfest multiple times, well, that could be part of it. Inmate TAGESK did an informal survey among members and until recently, adding in the newest failures, seems we are bopping around at near 50 failures +/-.

My casual observation regarding the latest failure where the spare was untested, and failed also, is that the dealers are getting no guidance other than replace the ring. I think that's all there is.

Would I consider changing bikes...hell no. 80 bucks for a working spare (hmmm better get another one, what if the tested spare fails later), and there in lies the real rub. Not knowing what caused it. And folks, I'm ready to take on the barrage of crap that will be heaped on me, if I were going into the hinterlands with a BMW bike I'd sure as hell have two (2) rings, latest models (ending in 247), and have tested the other two. End of story.

AND YE better practice on how to get the harness unsnapped because the little plastic tab that locks in the harness, under poor lighting and haven't done it before, well, I wouldn't want to be doing ti the first time in the dark/rain/monsoon, etc.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:16 AM   #1446
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar
First, I am not taking pot shots at GSpot and this threadfest! I have had three (3) antenna ring failures. One of the three was a bad spare.

But, being a member of other BMW forums seems the antenna ring threadfest here is way, way out of proportion to other sites.
My K-bike didn't promise to take me anywhere ... and get me back.

For me, that's a world of difference.

Buick drivers might care less about such things than Jeep CJ drivers, too. ("Hello? Yes, my car broke down a block from the Starbucks and I'm late for .....").
NBeener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:20 AM   #1447
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBeener
My K-bike didn't promise to take me anywhere ... and get me back.

For me, that's a world of difference.

Buick drivers might care less about such things than Jeep CJ drivers, too. ("Hello? Yes, my car broke down a block from the Starbucks and I'm late for .....").
Respectfully disagree...I know a bunch of these guys for years and they'd never miss an opportunity to bitch about something. And yeah, the same issues re: breaking down at Starbucks, the African veldt, the Argentinian pampas, will evoke the same responses. A breakdown is a breakdown.

Where is that promise about take me anywhere and back???? Seriously! And, why should that promise be no less for a GT, RT, or any other CAN-bus model?
Old 05-05-2008, 06:33 AM   #1448
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT
turn the key off, go inside & grab the original key. (I have been using the $80 sapre key I ordered because BMW forgot to give us a spare) I feel safer with two
tick tick tick.. it's only a matter of time.. do you carry a spare, and torx 10 driver? Test the spare too before you venture out.

Since this whole EWS is software driven, it's a matter of uploading a firmare with a patch allowing for an EWS bypass using a series of strokes on the turn signal paddles, etc.. but is anyone in the mother ship listening? Or do we need another a further 4 part number updates before a bypass code is mailed out to each owner according to the corresponding VIN.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:52 AM   #1449
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar
Where is that promise about take me anywhere and back???? Seriously! And, why should that promise be no less for a GT, RT, or any other CAN-bus model?

Start here:

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/bikes/bike.jsp?b=r1200gsa

Quote:
Globe conquering ambition comes standard
Quote:
Adventure sets an unreachable standard for a world-touring enduro.

Quote:
and you get a bike that will take you to the ends of the earth. Too bad there are only seven continents.

When businesses sell a product like this, in this way, in this country, there's an implied warranty of suitability for the purpose for which it's intended to be used.

In this case, I suspect "and will get you home" IS implicit.

Though I haven't looked, I doubt this is how they're marketing the LT , although THOSE riders have some right to expect to get home, too ;-)
NBeener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:57 AM   #1450
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
tick tick tick.. it's only a matter of time.. do you carry a spare, and torx 10 driver? Test the spare too before you venture out.

Since this whole EWS is software driven, it's a matter of uploading a firmare with a patch allowing for an EWS bypass using a series of strokes on the turn signal paddles, etc.. but is anyone in the mother ship listening? Or do we need another a further 4 part number updates before a bypass code is mailed out to each owner according to the corresponding VIN.
I guess that is what I need to do.

Lets see

Spare ring for 1200GSA & still hope & pray that the FD holds together.
Keep my figers crossed that the 1150GSA Servo Barkes work when I need them to.
Carry a spare driveshaft, diode board & rotor for the R100GS
Take a spare license plate bracket with me for the XCH & hope I do not fall over and break my shift shaft.
Take an extra radiator with me for the Z3 Coupe. The plastic radiator, falls apart. (plus I have to drive it nice and easy or the rear suspension will tear away from the body, I"M NOT JOKING!)

At least the Boxer Cup does what it is supposed to do, "sit there and look nice." No worries that it will break, I have not had it started since October.

I put 60K on two KLRs with nothing more than oil, filters, chain, sporockets, tires & brake pads. I also beat the crap out of the KLRs and pretty much mistreated them. The BMWs? I baby them.

The cost of the BMWs are getting to me. It is not the price of the bikes or parts. It is the cost of my enjoyment.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:59 AM   #1451
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy

The damn thing (ring antenna) is just so complicated right now, but I prophesy the following based upon all of the other issues that have befallen BMW cycles for the last reasonable number of years. The ring antenna issue will eventually die a natural (or perhaps, unnatural) death and no longer be a problem!

Old 05-05-2008, 07:13 AM   #1452
no5s
Terror at 2 mph

Oddometer: 331
Ews

Another one bites the dust. 07 GSA 10k miles, EWS yesterday. Took the cover off the 93 PD, and away I went. Isn't technology amazing? Today the 07 started. Does the bike keep the EWS error? will BMW replace if intermittent? Thank you.
65 Triumph TR6 Desert Sled
65 Triumph T100SC TT Bike
no5s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:13 AM   #1453
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBeener

Though I haven't looked, I doubt this is how they're marketing the LT , although THOSE riders have some right to expect to get home, too ;-)
"Peak performance and absolute amenities mile after mile after mile!" From the BMW (LT) website. . . yeah, but talk is cheap especially since the LT doesn't have a CAN-bus!
Old 05-05-2008, 07:18 AM   #1454
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by no5s
Another one bites the dust. 07 GSA 10k miles, EWS yesterday. Took the cover off the 93 PD, and away I went. Isn't technology amazing? Today the 07 started. Does the bike keep the EWS error? will BMW replace if intermittent? Thank you.
I'm pretty sure the fault codes show during diagnostics. My dealer just took my word for it on the intermittent (only once) on the Adventure while the RT never recovered from the error. If the dealer give you flak I'd be surprised, unless they are just a mean-spirited group. It's a warranty reimburseable part/labor, so???? I would hope if I were on the road that I would not be nickel-dimed about it being intermittent. But, food for thought!!!

Make sure it's the latest part (why, I don't know for sure, but makes one feel good) ending in 247.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:22 AM   #1455
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by no5s
Actually, I don't think the fault is logged, since some riders here have taken their bikes in with an intermittent fault which could not be reproduced at the dealer's.. a few pages back, someone posted that the dealer could not reprduce an EWS fault but as the bike was taken out to him, he turned it on and the EWS! appeared, so the dealer took it in to get the ring replaced.