Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-05-2008, 07:24 AM   #1456
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,170
I was working on an HP2 at the races at Summit Point WV this weekend, and noticed that the racing HP2 Nate Kern uses has NO wires going to he antenna ring, and no keys, just a toggle switch. I was not able to confirm if it was running the factory computer or not, but I suspect it was.

Interesting anyhow.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:06 AM   #1457
dwf
2007 R1200GS Adventure

Oddometer: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT
I guess that is what I need to do.

Lets see

Spare ring for 1200GSA & still hope & pray that the FD holds together.
Keep my figers crossed that the 1150GSA Servo Barkes work when I need them to.
Carry a spare driveshaft, diode board & rotor for the R100GS
Take a spare license plate bracket with me for the XCH & hope I do not fall over and break my shift shaft.
Take an extra radiator with me for the Z3 Coupe. The plastic radiator, falls apart. (plus I have to drive it nice and easy or the rear suspension will tear away from the body, I"M NOT JOKING!)

At least the Boxer Cup does what it is supposed to do, "sit there and look nice." No worries that it will break, I have not had it started since October.

I put 60K on two KLRs with nothing more than oil, filters, chain, sporockets, tires & brake pads. I also beat the crap out of the KLRs and pretty much mistreated them. The BMWs? I baby them.

The cost of the BMWs are getting to me. It is not the price of the bikes or parts. It is the cost of my enjoyment.

One of the guy I ride with has a new KLR. He has struggled with excessive oil use since new---as in a quart every 600 miles. Apparently a wide spread problem with much associated Web discussion. He jokingly (sort of) said "I hope there is an oil station" on the way to our destination Saturday. I no longer follow KLR discussions but I know he has been dealing with the issue and Kawasaki for months.
dwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:09 AM   #1458
PRW
living @ 11.5740741uHz

Oddometer: 1,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT
Ring antenna part availablility as of today:
====================
Discontinued & no longer in stock @ BMW USA:

======================
Discontinued & quantity one remaining in stock @ BMW USA:

=======================
Current latest ring antenna:

78 currently in stock @ BMW USA:

61357705247 !!!

MSRP = $82.52
Dave: Thanks for the excellent info, as always. FWIW, my spanking new 08 12GS has the 136 ring...seems weird that they would install a discontinued, 4-5 version old unit on a new bike.

So far so good though - I sure hope it stays that way, but I'm buying a spare just in case.

2008 R1200GS (Slate Gray Metallic Matt)
2003 R1150GS (Night Black)
PRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:12 AM   #1459
tyrannosaurus_mex
Roaming the Earth

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by no5s
Another one bites the dust. 07 GSA 10k miles, EWS yesterday. Took the cover off the 93 PD, and away I went. Isn't technology amazing? Today the 07 started. Does the bike keep the EWS error? will BMW replace if intermittent? Thank you.
I don't know if mine ever did show up during diagnostics, but the dealership took my word for it and had all the warranty paperwork ready when I brought them the bike. They never indicated a need to verify the fault.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:40 AM   #1460
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,198
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Since this whole EWS is software driven, it's a matter of uploading a firmare with a patch allowing for an EWS bypass using a series of strokes on the turn signal paddles, etc..
Hondas implementation is named KISS. As I use my Hondas professionaly (I rent them out) my dealer has promised me that if one of my customers ever gets stranded due a "failed key", he would tell me how to bypass it so I could save my customer and get the bike home. Thus I don't know (yet) if the procedure is bike dependent, key dependent, or general. I hope for the latter :-)

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:04 AM   #1461
buduski
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
HD alarm bypass

I had a 2003 HD ElectraGlide with the factory alarm installed. I was given a secret code I could enter via the turn signal switches to over ride the alarm if it ever had problems and locked me out. I don't understand why BMW cannot provide a failsafe such as this. I bought my 07 GSA to be able to explore back roads not accessible to the Harley. While I'm not losing sleep over this, I am a bit concerned that I will be somewhere with no cell phone coverage when the EWS problem arises. My bike has a May '07 build date. Thus far, I've had her since October and put over 4000 miles on her with no indication of any problem. I guess what concerns me is that there is apparently no prior warning. I'd certainly feel better knowing the replacement antennas would work with a greater degree of certainty!
buduski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:29 AM   #1462
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
Picture Of This Somewhere..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
I was working on an HP2 at the races at Summit Point WV this weekend, and noticed that the racing HP2 Nate Kern uses has NO wires going to he antenna ring, and no keys, just a toggle switch. I was not able to confirm if it was running the factory computer or not, but I suspect it was.

Interesting anyhow.

Jim
Jim,

I will look but I saw a picture of this...as I recall they had, as they did in the previous race bikes, have a spare antenna straped in on the left side of the ignition and a toggle where the key would go...as I remember, which is often faded, they still retain the stock ignition but the signal comes from the toggle rather than the key...I will try to find the reference..

At any rate for over a year they have pre-positioned a spare antenna on the race bike...no particular compelling reason to do so...just a CYA.
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:01 AM   #1463
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar
But, being a member of other BMW forums seems the antenna ring threadfest here is way, way out of proportion to other sites. Could be the popularity of this site compared to others, also, idiots like me posting on this threadfest multiple times, well, that could be part of it.
I mentioned a couple of pages ago that 20% of the threads on UKGSer's first page were EWS-related, so it seems like the issue is taken seriously there as well.

Also, in the internet age it makes sense that one site would end up with the vast majority of posts about this: google something related to EWS failure and this thread is near the top, so people post here.

Can't comment at all about non-GS sites.
motoreiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:04 AM   #1464
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
Jim,

I will look but I saw a picture of this...as I recall they had, as they did in the previous race bikes, have a spare antenna straped in on the left side of the ignition and a toggle where the key would go...as I remember, which is often faded, they still retain the stock ignition but the signal comes from the toggle rather than the key...I will try to find the reference..

At any rate for over a year they have pre-positioned a spare antenna on the race bike...no particular compelling reason to do so...just a CYA.
I looked all around the stock key area, which is still there, antenna and all but not puugged in, and all the lighting is removed as well. The RID is still there and functional, which is why I suspect at least part of the original wiring and computers are in place. The toggle switch is above the VIN plate on the headstock, and there are three wires going to it. There is the possibility that they stuffed everything under the tank, but I am doubting it.

I have pictures, and will post them tonight.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:09 AM   #1465
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
I have pictures, and will post them tonight.

Jim
Old 05-05-2008, 11:31 AM   #1466
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,308
I wonder if anyone has thought of mentioning/reporting this to the NTSB. I'm not sure if this classifies as a "safety" related issue in the traditional sense, but . . .

Maybe that would force BMWNA to respond.

If they would just give us a way to disable the damn thing . . .
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:11 PM   #1467
NCcoastDude
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
EWS Is there any trend developing?

I had the dreaded EWS two weekends ago. Had to be towed 163 miles, lost 2 days vacation. I tried to determine what was different this time riding just before the EWS and in reading the many posts to see if there was any trend. I have been reading the posts so I knew of the problem and a few things to check. My EWS occurrence is similar to that in post #1048 on page 70 by tyrannosaurus mex. Here is my data:

08 GSA, ordered Nov, picked up Feb. 08, had 3,200 miles when EWS occurred. I had ordered the anti-theft alarm accessory and the dealer tried to install it but said the version shipped would not work with the North American model. No anti-theft module installed.

Like tyrann mex, this was the first time that the bike sat in pouring rain, then ridden for 2 hrs in the rain. Pulled into a gas station, filled up, and then got the EWS. The key was still damp.

I have never used the kill switch to turn the bike off.
I tried starting by turning the kill switch and then starting it and it did not start.

Only once (a month ago) did I kill the engine by accidentally putting down the side stand.

There are no additional keys or metal rings on the key ring. Only the bare metal key is in the ignition. The spare (plastic) did not start the bike either. Therefore, the key appears not to be the problem. BTW, I had already ordered from the factory another metal key and the new metal key does work with the newly installed ring antenna. (key arrived after I got home)

This also was the first time I had used a tank bag and it had my cell phone in the bag and turned on but I later read that the cell phone is not a problem.

One post indicated the dealer said to roll the bike backward a distance. I had to push my bike backward 50 feet to get it away from the pumps. I then tried and it started but by this time it was about 30 minutes after the EWS initially appeared. I have ABS and ESA. This is the first year with the ESA so it is not a problem.

When I arrived at the repair facility, it was starting every time. The repair dealer said it did not throw a fault code.

The original ring antenna was xxxxxx4207 and replaced with xxx7136-01. I now have 1,000 miles and 30+ starts on the new antenna.

I like the bypass method and have ordered a spare, part number xxxx5247.

Thus far we see a lot of common items in the failures but no ONE definite item in ALL failures. If we exchange more data maybe we can more narrow down the problem, or at least eliminate some theories. If the problem is hard to duplicate, maybe we can help by sharing riding conditions just before the EWS occurs. Come on guys, we can be part of the solution.

My son had it correct, EWS= Engine Wont Start.
NCcoastDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:22 PM   #1468
mrmaico
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,704
I use the sidestand on my 05 to shut off my bike maybe 50% of the time and haven't had any problems with the dreaded EWS so IMO that doesn't seem to be something that might trigger problems but it also seems that most of the problems are on newer bikes. I've only used the kill switch maybe a handful of times.

Barry
mrmaico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:25 PM   #1469
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,701

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar
TAGESK did an informal survey among members and until recently, adding in the newest failures, seems we are bopping around at near 50 failures +/-.
It is hard imagine that 5 or so new EWS antenna part numbers were rolled out for a small number like 50 failures.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:31 PM   #1470
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,701

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagesk
Hondas implementation is named KISS. As I use my Hondas professionaly (I rent them out) my dealer has promised me that if one of my customers ever gets stranded due a "failed key", he would tell me how to bypass it so I could save my customer and get the bike home. Thus I don't know (yet) if the procedure is bike dependent, key dependent, or general. I hope for the latter :-)
I'm thinking the manual override code is based on the VIN. Of course that compromises a bit of security because the formula to get the override code from the VIN can be derived.

Maybe a future software update will allow a user set PIN code.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote