Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-05-2008, 04:35 PM   #1471
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,687

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCcoastDude
EWS Is there any trend developing?
I think so. The trend is that BMW will divulge the override feature, manual or otherwise, that we've been talking since about 1200 posts ago.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation

Poolside screwed with this post 05-05-2008 at 06:02 PM
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 05:56 PM   #1472
gsmoto31
Miami&Maggie

Oddometer: 72
It's only a number....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRW
Dave: Thanks for the excellent info, as always. FWIW, my spanking new 08 12GS has the 136 ring...seems weird that they would install a discontinued, 4-5 version old unit on a new bike.

So far so good though - I sure hope it stays that way, but I'm buying a spare just in case.
Picked up my 08 GSA from the dealer last month and while waiting for some farkles to be switched from my older bike (which had an EWS failure and ring antenna replaced last year!), I witnessed two bikes being towed in with EWS failures. One was an 08 GSA and the other was an 07 GSA. I checked the antenna part number on my new bike and it ended in 136. Decided to purchase a spare antenna that day, which also ended in 136. I have a very good relationship with my dealer and he informed me that EWS failures are showing up at a greater rate each month and they were selling spares to many people. I have a 600 mile service scheduled for tomorrow and my dealer called last week to tell me to bring my 136 spare antenna with me so he could exchange for the new part number ending in 247. Unfortunately, he could not assure me that this new part number will correct the enduring problem.
gsmoto31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:18 PM   #1473
tagesk
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside
I'm thinking the manual override code is based on the VIN.
Thats what he said exists on the Honda Transalp.

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:09 PM   #1474
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,307
Quote:
My son had it correct, EWS= Engine Won’t Start.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:17 PM   #1475
Poolside
Syndicated

Quote:
My son had it correct, EWS= Engine Won’t Start.
That's GOT to go on the T-shirt !!!

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 05-05-2008, 07:19 PM   #1476
buduski
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
manual override

On my Harley, I could program whatever override code I wanted (within the constraints of the system). There was no direct relationship with the VIN. If I remember correctly, my dealer had to "prepare" the system for my code input. Why is this such a problem with the good folks at BMW? It seems they already use input from the turn signal switches for other codes. Is this correct? I have to say it is a bit depressing to finally get the bike of my dreams and have something as rediculous as an EWS fault blemish the experience. It's not so much the problem as it is the apparent lack of "compassion" from BMW. It really appears like they are telling us they really don't give a damn about our insignificant little problems. One of the reasons I gave up on HD was their apparent arrogance towards their customers.
buduski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:01 PM   #1477
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
I looked all around the stock key area, which is still there, antenna and all but not puugged in, and all the lighting is removed as well. The RID is still there and functional, which is why I suspect at least part of the original wiring and computers are in place. The toggle switch is above the VIN plate on the headstock, and there are three wires going to it. There is the possibility that they stuffed everything under the tank, but I am doubting it.

I have pictures, and will post them tonight.

Jim

The first two photos show the toggle switch and wiring.

A decent pic of the mounted antenna ring, with the security screws still in place, arrow one. Arrow two shows the plug definitively missing.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:28 PM   #1478
Wallowa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
Holy Crap! Can We Do This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
The first two photos show the toggle switch and wiring.

A decent pic of the mounted antenna ring, with the security screws still in place, arrow one. Arrow two shows the plug definitively missing.

Jim
Disconnected, disconnected, disconnected...and still running! Very Fast!

Doesn't this mean that the knowledge to rip out our shitty antenna/EWS exists? Sign me up! No key...no antenna...but wait, then no $$$$$$$ for BMW!

Geee...do you think BMW techs did this for them?
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:31 PM   #1479
* SHAG *
Unstable

Oddometer: 4,190
Witnessed a Secret Decoder Ring failure on 08 GSA at the Georgia Rally on Saturday. It was replaced by part # 61 35 7 705 247. New bike! . When Bob called to have one sent to the rally, he said to have at least 4 in stock at the dealership.
05-GS- Rock Red 89k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:14 PM   #1480
Poolside
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
Geee...do you think BMW techs did this for them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by buduski
If I remember correctly, my dealer had to "prepare" the system for my code input. Why is this such a problem with the good folks at BMW? It seems they already use input from the turn signal switches for other codes.
The EWS system CAN NOT be turned off

Old 05-06-2008, 03:32 AM   #1481
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallowa
Disconnected, disconnected, disconnected...and still running! Very Fast!
I'm guessing either there's an antenna and key taped elsewhere on the bike (that's how these bikes were configured at Daytona, and how most of the R12S race bikes were last year) or else Atlanta has gone to a Motec. But Atlanta should be able to tell us.

Nothing explains why the antenna is still there...
Old 05-06-2008, 04:54 AM   #1482
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,080
EWS Threadfest on BMWSPORTTOURING

I would guess that RT's are the flagship cycles on BMWSPORTTOURING.COM. Here's the threadfest (not really) re: the EWS failures on that site. The first number is REPLIES, the 2nd number is VIEWS. Ergo, RT's more reliable? No, just joking!

Last chapter in the EWS PROBLEM
by
2 149

jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:06 AM   #1483
SGAdventure
n00b

Oddometer: 9
[QUOTE=jpalamar]I'm pretty sure the fault codes show during diagnostics. My dealer just took my word for it on the intermittent (only once) on the Adventure while the RT never recovered from the error. If the dealer give you flak I'd be surprised, unless they are just a mean-spirited group. It's a warranty reimburseable part/labor, so???? I would hope if I were on the road that I would not be nickel-dimed about it being intermittent. But, food for thought!!!

In my case, there was no fault code recorded.
SGAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:19 AM   #1484
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonLargiader
I'm guessing either there's an antenna and key taped elsewhere on the bike (that's how these bikes were configured at Daytona, and how most of the R12S race bikes were last year) or else Atlanta has gone to a Motec. But Atlanta should be able to tell us.

Nothing explains why the antenna is still there...
This is what I think, primarily because it would be difficult to use a single toggle with only a couple wires on it to activate the old system, but I can't quite get my head around how they integrated it into the system and are still using the whole instrument cluster from stock.

The key, ring and wiring could be burried under the tank, I wasn't able to get a look under it.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:51 AM   #1485
motoreiter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
Talking

Quote:
I had to push my bike backward 50 feet to get it away from the pumps. I then tried and it started but by this time it was about 30 minutes after the EWS initially appeared.

I'm tellling you, it's the gas station emissions!

In all seriousness, some pumps have RFID readers for key-ring payment tokens--I wonder what frequency those readers operate on? I suspect that these readers are passive antenna and thus not capable of jamming anything, but the guessing game is kind of fun...
motoreiter is offline   Reply With Quote