User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2009, 07:58 PM   #1
Skullenton OP
Awesome

Oddometer: 82
X-Challenge Touratech Tank

Hey guys, has anybody looked into different ways to plumb the Touratech tank? I don't like the idea of drilling into my main tank.
Also has anybody looked into a quick fit system for it? Dry break couplings?
Skullenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:07 PM   #2
Road Kill
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
I don't have a TT tank (yet) but I think there is a couple of different ways. I'll leave it for others to explain the alternate methods. However, fyi here is some pics from Trailace on his installation:
http://trailace.smugmug.com/gallery/...68703194_uKp4g

They're linked in the G650X index in the first link under Extra Fuel.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:30 PM   #3
olyflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,201
get a 't' piece and plumb the two TT tank hoses to that and then run the other hose to the vent under the seat into the main tank and it will suck from the TT tank into the main until TT is empty

I'll put up some photos later, it's easy as, I just had issues fitting the bracket that mounts to the lower front of the TT tank and had to chop it a bit to fit to my frame
olyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 12:19 AM   #4
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyflyer
get a 't' piece and plumb the two TT tank hoses to that and then run the other hose to the vent under the seat into the main tank and it will suck from the TT tank into the main until TT is empty

Road Kill: If you install it as per the TT method, you can kiss goodbye to a good few hours of your time, plus, what instructions there are, are written in German.

Wish I`d known about the easier method when I got my tank.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:19 AM   #5
Skullenton OP
Awesome

Quote:
Thats the way I was thinking of doing it. Just made me nervous since touratech supply instructions for a way that seems unnecessary.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:30 AM   #6
Skullenton OP
Awesome

With the 'T' piece setup, is the main tank still able to be opened once a few km's have been ridden? Or does the tank totally fill with petrol?
Old 08-31-2009, 04:24 PM   #7
olyflyer
Beastly Adventurer

I hardly open the main tank not sure why you would want to open it unless you wanted to fill it but if you do it will be full and I have opened it once or twice to check it and it was chockas, just run out the TT tank then after a few k's should be able to open the main

I have only run out of fuel once but thankfully one side of the TT tank drains quicker than the other so I just drained the fuel out of the left side and threw it into the main and got me the remaining 30k's to town (did >500k's on desert track and was fairly heavy on the throttle)

I saw the TT instructions and saw drilling and thought bugger that, non reversible modification no thanks!

I'll see if I remember to take pics after work tonight
Old 08-31-2009, 06:46 PM   #8
gsd4me
90% bluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullenton
With the 'T' piece setup, is the main tank still able to be opened once a few km's have been ridden? Or does the tank totally fill with petrol?

If you run with the fuel taps on the TT tank turned off, you will be able to open the main tank at any time.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:54 PM   #9
gsd4me
90% bluff

Quote:
I have only run out of fuel once but thankfully one side of the TT tank drains quicker than the other so I just drained the fuel out of the left side and threw it into the main and got me the remaining 30k's to town
Did you have both taps facing the same direction? If that is the case, you were running one side on reserve the whole time.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:56 PM   #10
olyflyer
Beastly Adventurer

would you need to remove the hose to the vent so it could replace the fuel with air or would there be enuff to bring the level down to open it before it suffocated?
Old 08-31-2009, 07:01 PM   #11
olyflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD4ME
Did you have both taps facing the same direction? If that is the case, you were running one side on reserve the whole time.

both on the on position but it will drain from the path of least resisance first (the shortest hose) as I had the right hose slightly longer than the left (I cut the plastic taps back as they were prone from debris hitting them and either turning them to the off or reserve position)

Now I have re-plumbed it so the hoses from the taps is both the same length and run the thinner line back to the vent from the cross brace for the TT tank
Old 09-01-2009, 05:44 AM   #12
Skullenton OP
Awesome

Fuel Pump Strain

In regards to the fuel pump working a little harder when plumbing into the breather. Has anyone had any issues with this? Done long trips? Long days, many days in a row? Should I be at all concerned about crossing a desert with the added strain on the pump?
I'm sure I am being paranoid, but just one base I would like to cover.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:53 AM   #13
olyflyer
Beastly Adventurer

no dramas mate I just did the Gibb River road and the Duncan road great remote tracks and and not one issue with the bike or fuel system through the vent
Old 09-04-2009, 03:11 PM   #14
Skullenton OP
Awesome

Is everyone swapping the stock breather hose on the X-Challenge with the coated fuel line touratech supply?
Old 11-29-2009, 08:49 AM   #15
kpie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD4ME
Road Kill: If you install it as per the TT method, you can kiss goodbye to a good few hours of your time, plus, what instructions there are, are written in German.

Wish I`d known about the easier method when I got my tank.
What he said ...... I just spent ridiculous amounts of time and energy tearing down my bike to install per Touratech's 'lame' instructions. After everything was finished, the fitting at the stock tank was leaking. I've tried everything and the damn thing leaks. Will order a replacement stock tank and install through vent. Should have done it the first time....dammit!
kpie is offline   Reply With Quote