Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2014, 08:35 PM   #1
Tee2 OP
I SAID! Woo Hoo!

Oddometer: 1,185
21 year old daughter wants to learn to ride.

My daughter who has never even wanted to ride on the back of mt 990 said that she wants to learn to ride. And even said wants to buy a bike. My nephew has a 50 pit bike with a 90cc big bore kit and high bars she can learn on. I told her she would need a helmet, goggles, and gloves to start with and she ordered them today. So I guess she really wants to do this.

So my question is what would be a good bike for her? She wants to ride a family type enduro at some point.

She is, 5'8" maybe 120#. Not very athletic. She tends to be the type if it is to hard she gives up. But since she has her own money in it that will help. We are planning on moving west in the next year or so, she may move sooner. Probably be the Phoenix area. Looking for something bullet proof and low maintenance. I would like to see something that could get a street plate in AZ but it wouldn't get plated here in IL. But that might be a bike to two down the road if she like to ride.

Would a 125 or 140 be big enough? To big? What is the smallest street legal DS type bike? Or dirt bike you can get a plate for in AZ?

Thanks

Tee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:54 PM   #2
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 1,495
You can plate anything in AZ

TTR-125? Make sure she learns off road first! I could not imagine learning on the street

RIDE RED!
WTB: Honda XR650L bottom end
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:43 PM   #3
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 2,095
I would steer her towards any of the following: DR200SE, CRF230L, TW200, XT225, Super Sherpa.

They are all light with seat heights easily managed and in un-intimidating but capable packages.

brianwheelies screwed with this post 04-06-2014 at 09:45 PM Reason: predictive text screw up.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:57 AM   #4
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFVC600R View Post

TTR-125? Make sure she learns off road first! I could not imagine learning on the street

You can plate almost anything in AZ. No 2 strokes. And if it doesn't have any kind of an electrical system to begin with, you will have to add a stator, battery, and all that stuff. Headlight, tail light, brake light, horn, license plate light, and a left side mirror are required. Turn signals are not required. I have made 2 dirt bikes and a quad street legal in AZ. It's even easier now since the emissions test is gone. I would recommend a DR200 or an XT225, both available used fairly cheap, but the seat height might be too much.

Both my daughters started riding dirt bikes at around age 8, and did so for several years. They never had any interest in street riding, and pretty much gave up riding altogether when they were grown.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:46 PM   #5
Noone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee2 View Post
My daughter who has never even wanted to ride on the back of mt 990 said that she wants to learn to ride. And even said wants to buy a bike. My nephew has a 50 pit bike with a 90cc big bore kit and high bars she can learn on. I told her she would need a helmet, goggles, and gloves to start with and she ordered them today. So I guess she really wants to do this.

So my question is what would be a good bike for her? She wants to ride a family type enduro at some point.

She is, 5'8" maybe 120#. Not very athletic. She tends to be the type if it is to hard she gives up. But since she has her own money in it that will help. We are planning on moving west in the next year or so, she may move sooner. Probably be the Phoenix area. Looking for something bullet proof and low maintenance. I would like to see something that could get a street plate in AZ but it wouldn't get plated here in IL. But that might be a bike to two down the road if she like to ride.

Would a 125 or 140 be big enough? To big? What is the smallest street legal DS type bike? Or dirt bike you can get a plate for in AZ?

Thanks

Motorcycle Safety Foundation basic riders course. That is the place to start.
Noone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:10 PM   #6
ZJeepMI
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
TW200 are really easy to learn on. I'd never even ridden a dirtbike let alone a street bike on pavement before I bought mine and I caught on real quick. The fat tires make it very predictable and stable. I'm glad I learned on that vs. my current XT225, but either one works fine. Low power, lightweight, easy handling is the ticket.

Previous motorcycles: 1993 Honda Nighthawk 750
1997 Yamaha TW200
ZJeepMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:33 PM   #7
exlogger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
No doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noone View Post
Number one on the list before she buys a bike. After that whatever lifts her skirt after that.
exlogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:09 PM   #8
Mooncat
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noone View Post
I agree. Take the basic rider course before anything else. Might as well start off with good habits. Plus in CA it waives the DMV riding test. Well worth the money.
Mooncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:41 PM   #9
Tee2 OP
I SAID! Woo Hoo!

Oddometer: 1,185
Thanks for the replies so far. She looked into a class and the soonest one with space is well into June. She wants to take one. I just bought a DVD, MSF offroad riding last night in the FM. I don't see her riding a lot on the road, at least around IL. I stopped and looked at a few bikes today and I don't see her being comfortable on any of the street legal bikes I looked at. Still need to see a TW200 that would probably be the best bet for street legal. We are going to try to hit a few dealers so she can see what fits. I'm betting it will be a small trail bike in the 140-150 range. Mywife would like to learn to ride too but will not ride the street.

Tee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:55 PM   #10
CRW
I dont want a pickle

Oddometer: 696
Buy a used Honda xr 100, cheap,low seat hight, not heavy.
Everyone will ride it.
CRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:19 PM   #11
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 16,701
start there and she'll get her skills down fast.
you can easily resell those fast when she upgrades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJeepMI View Post
TW200 are really easy to learn on. I'd never even ridden a dirtbike let alone a street bike on pavement before I bought mine and I caught on real quick. The fat tires make it very predictable and stable. I'm glad I learned on that vs. my current XT225, but either one works fine. Low power, lightweight, easy handling is the ticket.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Facebook - please come follow us:
https://www.facebook.com/butlermaps
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:26 PM   #12
Hesaid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
Everybody loves a TW200! At 5'8" she should have the inseam for any of the 200-250cc bikes, so that ought to help. Shesaid is splitting her time between her TW (the Wombat), and her DR650. Click some of the links in my signature line, and you can read more about it, but, as mentioned, everyone loves a TW. As long as they're not stuck behind one!

MV
Old 04-08-2014, 12:57 PM   #13
vintagespeed
fNg

Oddometer: 1,333
TU250, and get her riding out there where it's relatively "safe" before throwing her into the fray out West..

what we do out here is called "surviving", not riding.

i commute daily with these f*cking idiots and unfortunately see alot of downed riders. MSF course or not.

TAT-2013: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913898
SoCal_NoDak-2012: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=829203

vintagespeed screwed with this post 04-08-2014 at 12:58 PM Reason: blah
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:28 PM   #14
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFVC600R View Post

The ttr 125 and 250 are both road legal from new. I would go for a 250 bike then get her to pass what ever the bike test is before she goes on to a big bike
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:35 PM   #15
imprezagm4
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
I vote xt225, awesome first bike.