Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2009, 07:03 AM   #136
emmaus777
n00b

Oddometer: 7
According to the VIN it's an '85. Had the blue seat, yellow stickers, Red/White/Blue wings. Here is a pictures from when I picked it up.

The PO did say it's had some engine work... though I'm not exactly sure what

emmaus777 screwed with this post 04-27-2009 at 07:11 AM
emmaus777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:20 AM   #137
God of Speed
Lost when found..........

Oddometer: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaus777
According to the VIN it's an '85. Had the blue seat, yellow stickers, Red/White/Blue wings. Here is a pictures from when I picked it up.

The PO did say it's had some engine work... though I'm not exactly sure what
ah ok, it might have the head off a red engined one as the rest of the engine looks pretty black.

how many ks? the most difficult parts to get for these bikes are probably the plastics but looks as if youve already got them sorted!

not that im an expert but i wouldnt imagine that the big bore would need much more oil, as long as you use good quality oil and change it every 1000miles or so. what changes the capacity is adding an oil cooler, mine added about 200ml so not much and i still put exaclty 2 litres in every change, but theres probably a bit left over of the old oil when i do that though.

if it doesnt have a temp gauge please get one. almost every wrecker ive been to to get parts has said that all the air cooled honda singles they get in have seized because morons have run low oil and seized them.
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ
God of Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:30 AM   #138
emmaus777
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Thank you for the help! It does not have a temp gauge, where could I find one? Is there one you would recommend?
emmaus777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:02 AM   #139
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,219
Quote:
Thank you for the help! It does not have a temp gauge, where could I find one? Is there one you would recommend?
XRs Only (search) has a temp gauge dipstick. I ran mine hard for 5,000 miles and it ws nice to know my temperature along the way. I had a scare a couple times where I didn't have enough oil to reach the dipstick and it was getting cooler as I ran it harder and I was like, waitaminute... Oil capacity is the same for a big bored engine. It is hard to tell if the PO was just BSing, but it should be possible to fill the combustion chamber through the spark plug hole with a liquid with the piston at BDC and pump it back out and measure the volume of it to find the volume. I've never done that, don't use water if you do. Unless he had an empty box from the oversize piston and a trustworthy look in his eye, I'd say you'll have to wait a few thousand miles before you find out for sure. Heck, even an XR650L doesn't have the power of an XR600, just because the compression on the 650s sucks.

I'd be able to tell if I were to ride it for ya!

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:15 AM   #140
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,577
I'd be able to tell if I were to ride it for ya! [/quote]

What, Is this your seat of your pants Dyno???

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:14 PM   #141
mdkm85
uni-cycler

Oddometer: 65
Yall think XL350 side covers would fit an XL600? Pretty sure the frame is the same size but that doesnt really mean a whole lot
mdkm85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:05 PM   #142
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111
I'd be able to tell if I were to ride it for ya!
What, Is this your seat of your pants Dyno???

[/quote]

Yeah, why, you got some bikes need comparin'?

Old 04-27-2009, 06:09 PM   #143
God of Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdkm85
Yall think XL350 side covers would fit an XL600? Pretty sure the frame is the same size but that doesnt really mean a whole lot
yes youre right, xl 600r, xl600, xl350 and xl350r will be the same. ive been looking for a left hand side cover in aus for about 4 months. the only one ive found was broken and the wrong colour, although now i dont really care about the colour.
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ
Old 04-27-2009, 06:13 PM   #144
God of Speed

Quote:
i havent heard very good things about the xrs only one. apparently it gets oil into the dial face and stuff.

mine is from a german company called RR:

http://www.bmwbikebits.co.uk/shop/item.asp?itemid=2620

on first inspection it only seems as if they do bmw gauges but they actually do all. they are probably more expensive than the xrs only ones (theyre about the same for me with shipping to australia) but ive had mine for 15000ks and its never gonw wrong and has definetly saved the engine from my idiocy.

how many ks has your new xl done?
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ
Old 04-27-2009, 06:27 PM   #145
MaXYaX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Talking

Well fellas, I've done a week of commuting on my new (to me ) XL600R, and I am in love . This is my first "real" (read: street legal) motorcycle. I take surface streets to work (about 20 miles one way). I've ridden through rain, sleet, and a touch of snow. I am HOOKED! What gearing do you guys recommend for street and highway riding? (damn, I know use the "search" n00b). Anyway I love this bike.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled thread...

'72 CB500
'78 GS1000
MaXYaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:27 PM   #146
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterscm
i havent heard very good things about the xrs only one. apparently it gets oil into the dial face and stuff.

mine is from a german company called RR:

http://www.bmwbikebits.co.uk/shop/item.asp?itemid=2620

on first inspection it only seems as if they do bmw gauges but they actually do all. they are probably more expensive than the xrs only ones (theyre about the same for me with shipping to australia) but ive had mine for 15000ks and its never gonw wrong and has definetly saved the engine from my idiocy.

how many ks has your new xl done?
The only problem might be that isn't yours in Celsius? I guess once we figured out the conversion rate and memorized certain temps to look for, it wouldn't be that bad, but it is a little hard to remember such things at times, especially when the outdoor temps are still going to be measured in F. I sometimes know whether or not I will need choke based on looking at my temp gauge. "Oh, it's above 50* outside..." So is it in Celsius?

Did you hear that the XRs Only gauge was getting oil in the faces from people other than myself also? I think they are using a foodservice grade custom-printed thermometers. I don't think they were meant to take high pressure hot oil, but then again, it has usually passed oil when I seemed a little high on oil. I have wondered what would happen if I were to take it apart and use some RTV in there to seal it back up. I think it uses an o-ring. I'm just going to rebuild the one I've got using another food thermometer until I get my super-duper setup. That is an acess plug welded into the oil reservoir with a temp probe in it, wired to a backlit gauge on the dash.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:36 PM   #147
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXYaX
Well fellas, I've done a week of commuting on my new (to me ) XL600R, and I am in love . This is my first "real" (read: street legal) motorcycle. I take surface streets to work (about 20 miles one way). I've ridden through rain, sleet, and a touch of snow. I am HOOKED! What gearing do you guys recommend for street and highway riding? (damn, I know use the "search" n00b). Anyway I love this bike.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled thread...
Welcome to the club!
I use a 40 tooth sprocket in the rear as opposed to the stock 43 tooth. There is a 14 or 15 in the front. I forget what the biggest size made for this bike in the front is- whatever it is, I've got it. Anything bigger would not clear the engine cases. That may also be the stock one for the XL up front since this was a dual-sport from the factory, the XR probably uses a 13 for offroad torque. I know with this gearing, I can do 65 comfortably without having to wind the rpms up. I sure am happy with the dual carbs on this bike, at those speeds, if I want to go 75 instead, all I've got to do is twist a little more! The high-end response on this bike is amazing, that's why they designed it with two carbs. A lot of people have tried to tell me the single carb that replaced it is superior, but after logging 5k on the single carb engine I crammed in there, and then going back to dual carbs, the favorite choice is easily dual carbs.

Welcome again, and this is also my first bike, so maybe you'll become super-loyal like me!

Old 04-27-2009, 06:51 PM   #148
MaXYaX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp
Welcome to the club!
The high-end response on this bike is amazing, that's why they designed it with two carbs. A lot of people have tried to tell me the single carb that replaced it is superior, but after logging 5k on the single carb engine I crammed in there, and then going back to dual carbs, the favorite choice is easily dual carbs.

Whats funny is that I had read this thread (and a few others on the net after my friend offered to sell me the bike). I asked him if the bike in question had the famous "dual carbs". He said, "No, I'm pretty sure it's a single" . Well, long story short, as soon as I showed up to hand over the cash and get the title, I take a look, and whadaya know? Dual carbs!

It reminds me of a chevy small block with a big four barrel carb when the secondaries kick in, I love that sound!

'72 CB500
'78 GS1000
MaXYaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:58 PM   #149
mdkm85
uni-cycler

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterscm
yes youre right, xl 600r, xl600, xl350 and xl350r will be the same. ive been looking for a left hand side cover in aus for about 4 months. the only one ive found was broken and the wrong colour, although now i dont really care about the colour.

cheers
mdkm85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 10:31 PM   #150
BrandonR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Stock gearing is 15x42, I'm currently running 13x42 for better off-road manners so the bike tops out at 85 completely wound out.