User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2009, 08:25 AM   #1591
jdlcruiser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Tires

My last set was Distanzia's, 150 rear and can not think of the fronts maybe 90s. They are fantastic on the street. But, suuuucccckkkk in the dirt. I am thinking of using a trials or flat track tires next time. Have not checked what everyone else is working with I know there have been plenty of discussions.
I do not want too much dirt then I would ride it as such. More aggressive usually worse on the road for flex and wear. More road less flex but trouble with grass and dirt.
Good luck
jdlcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:36 AM   #1592
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,758
The Duro 903/904 are cheap and work good. I have them on my XL600. I don't do mud around here though.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:16 AM   #1593
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,052
I put on a set of Dunlop 606s, and now my engine won't run.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:45 PM   #1594
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,231
The Dunlop D606s are great, as are the Pirelli MT21s. Both are a great, hard-wearing knobbie tire. We cam back from Moab, utah on 2 KLRs on pavement, and the D606 rear wore longer than the MT21 since the middle starts out more rounded to begin with, and the MT21 front barely wore at all over 2,000 miles of highway speeds. I recommend a D606 rear/MT21 combination, and that is what I will be trying for. I ususally re-use everyone's half-treaded tires because it's good enough for me, and the price is right!

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:21 PM   #1595
God of Speed
Lost when found..........

Oddometer: 1,058
ive got 20,000ks on my Dunlop Trailmax Enduro front tyre (bit more road orientated than the 606, say 70dirt,30road%) the last rear of the same type was completely gone at 10,000ks but they are cheap and can handle most anything that you should be taking the XL600 through.

short of mud banks and river crossings they are good however can get a bit slippery in the wet when cold. (yesturday i could spin the rear wheel in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears when taking off from the lights! - but it was a torrential downpour)
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ

God of Speed screwed with this post 12-17-2009 at 05:23 PM
God of Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:47 PM   #1596
gorilla2891
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
tires

My maxxis rear tire is more than half done with with only about 300 mile on it. Front is great. Had good luck in the past with pirelli mt21s. Great traction on off road. and seem to last a good many miles. That is what I'll go back to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bun-bun
Quick question; what tires are you folks running for street/dirt use? My '85 has a set of Maxis knobbies, which are rapidly wearing from pavement use. I don't want to go full bore motard, but need something more street friendly.
gorilla2891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:32 AM   #1597
crag antler
In the woods lurking

Oddometer: 496
I'm running IRC GP 1's and they are holding up pretty well. Got about 500 miles on them and not showing wear. I have run them thru some serious mud and sand and have not had a problem with traction. I run them at around 30 lbs too. I know if I lower the pressure, I could get better traction but it hasn't been an issue yet to lower.
They say they are a 80-20 tire but works well on the road and the dirt.
Price is right too
2000 Kawasaki Concours
1976 Yamaha DT400
crag antler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:02 PM   #1598
mdkm85
uni-cycler

Oddometer: 65
Im running a kenda K671 dual sport. Runs awesome on the pavement, and ok in dirt. Ran it in the mud and it was aaawwwfffuuullll. kinda like trying to ice skate on concrete, just doesnt work. Also ran it about two days after a hard rain on a dirt trail, ground was mostly dry, came around a corner going about 20mph and just laid it down. Bike just slid out from under me. Im excited to go back to some knobbies. Kenda looks pretty cool though.

Question: Does the motor need to come out of the frame to get the cylinder head off? Cylinder head gasket is leaking waaaay to much oil. If i pegg the throttle the bike almost stalls, thinking that is more of a fuel delivery problem but I thought the leaking head gasket might add to it. Thanks for any help. Just got the ol' XL running again today and i feel like a little kid again!!
mdkm85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:19 PM   #1599
jgrady1982
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
sorry engine has to come out to get valve cover off
jgrady1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:40 PM   #1600
ZapGuy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdkm85
Question: Does the motor need to come out of the frame to get the cylinder head off?
Just did that a few pages back:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...5#post10972725
ZapGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:26 PM   #1601
mdkm85
uni-cycler

Oddometer: 65
SO motor doesnt have to come out of frame... So im driving down the highway tonight otw home from work and the bike just quits on me. Very hairy situation, almost pooped myself. Anyways after loading the bike up in my truck (couldnt get bike to start again) brought it home and once again I have no spark. Dont understand, I put the new coil in and I had spark and it ran o.k. now I have no spark!!! how frustrating!!! Checked my wiring and everything looks good so im out of ideas. I dont really have the $$$ to just start replacing parts...

Sorry if I vented to much guess ill take the ohmmeter back out of the tool box and see if i can make any sense out of it
mdkm85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:42 PM   #1602
God of Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdkm85
SO motor doesnt have to come out of frame... So im driving down the highway tonight otw home from work and the bike just quits on me. Very hairy situation, almost pooped myself. Anyways after loading the bike up in my truck (couldnt get bike to start again) brought it home and once again I have no spark. Dont understand, I put the new coil in and I had spark and it ran o.k. now I have no spark!!! how frustrating!!! Checked my wiring and everything looks good so im out of ideas. I dont really have the $$$ to just start replacing parts...

Sorry if I vented to much guess ill take the ohmmeter back out of the tool box and see if i can make any sense out of it
sounds like the CDI, i posted a link a while back to aftermarket ones that i run that are absolutely amazing. i think it was 90USD shipped to Australia, so itl be cheaper for you. if it ends up you have to replace the CDI, dont go back to stock, go for the aftermarket ones. i have more power, better efficiency, easier starting, better throttle response all from just plugging a new CDI in.
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ
Old 12-18-2009, 10:55 PM   #1603
God of Speed

trying to find the link
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ
Old 12-18-2009, 10:56 PM   #1604
God of Speed

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=120477843802

THERE we go. i highly recommend if you need a new CDI. as for the 'fuel delivery problem' what jets are you running?
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ
Old 12-18-2009, 11:34 PM   #1605
gorilla2891
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Hey GOS

How did that jet work for you? I was going to ask about your airscrew setting but saw on one of your post s that your year aint got one. maybe find some carbs that do?
gorilla2891 is offline   Reply With Quote