Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2009, 04:13 AM   #166
crag antler
Loving the woods

Oddometer: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp
Old? what makes you say that? It's currently bolted on to my "old" Honda XL600, thank you very much!

Whenever I build the next one, and I will, I will be selling that one. I want to build the perfect one now that I know where I can use a really good pipe bender and notching die cutter setup, as well as TIG.

I was thinking about making a few in a weld-your-own kit. What do some of you out there with access to MIG think about that? If I start seeing hands raise, I will bend up a few sets when I finally get to it. I'm seeing so many of these bikes pop up recently that I think there's gotta be a new market for parts and accessories now.
Consider my hand raised for one
1976 Yamaha DT400
2000 Kawasaki Concours
crag antler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:51 AM   #167
emmaus777
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Should my '85 xl600 have an auto-decompression cable? I bought one but can't figure out how to route it. I feel like I may also be missing a bracket. Does any one have a picture I could see? Thanks all!

EDIT__________________________________________

OK I think I've figured it out. I just went through Zombie_Stomp's rebuild thread...I found this picture

If this is where the auto decomp cable attaches then I'm not sure what bike my head came out of. Here is a picture.

Mine doesn't have it. I also noticed that where my manual decomp connects is different as well.

Anybody have an idea where my head came from?

emmaus777 screwed with this post 04-30-2009 at 09:53 AM
emmaus777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:54 PM   #168
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaus777
Should my '85 xl600 have an auto-decompression cable? I bought one but can't figure out how to route it. I feel like I may also be missing a bracket. Does any one have a picture I could see? Thanks all!

EDIT__________________________________________

OK I think I've figured it out. I just went through Zombie_Stomp's rebuild thread...I found this picture

If this is where the auto decomp cable attaches then I'm not sure what bike my head came out of. Here is a picture.

Mine doesn't have it. I also noticed that where my manual decomp connects is different as well.

Anybody have an idea where my head came from?
Yours is just an '86 or '87 head, which would work fine on any '83-'87 RFVC kickstart engine. '86 and '87 engines are painted red, but the original head from your bike would have been the exact same design, but painted black. (black as night, black as coal, I wanna see you painted, painted, painted, painted black, yeah... I want to see the sun blotted out from the sky...) *ahem* The reason my '83 and all '84 heads are different is as follows. Starting in 1985, they did the smart thing by linking both the auto and manual decompression to the right exhaust valve rocker via the modified cable attachment you have circled in your last photo. You are missing the bracket that usually bolts under the two bolts above the RFVC logo. The cable runs to the other cable lever near your kickstarter.

The '83 and '84 models have a 5th valve in the head for this purpose, which they realized was not completely necessary. Congratulations, you have the more superior superceeded design. The only stupid side effect is that if you take the panel off of the other side of the engine, you will find a completely sealed, empty chamber good for nothing other than stashing drugs in, for example. If you're ok with them baking in 250 degree heat that is. The 5th valve used to vent to that chamber, the idea being that it would cut the compression in half, I beleive it is the same volume as the combustion chamber.

It wasn't until 1988 that they further redesigned the RFVC head to have cooling fins there instead of the useless chamber. Maybe the DEA threatened Honda since they were sick of finding little blocks of coke in there, I don't know. Maybe it was just because they were smart and wanted to add cooling capacity to the head. I think this was also the point that they internalized the auto decompression with a modified cam that had a low/high speed centrifugal clutch cam lobe which pushed on one wider rocker to decompress.

Good luck in your quest for a bracket!

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.

Zombie_Stomp screwed with this post 04-30-2009 at 02:03 PM
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:59 PM   #169
scrminbanshee
Awsome

Oddometer: 807
Hey zombie stomp if thats the case then why does my 85 head have all the parts of your older head?
scrminbanshee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:02 PM   #170
MaXYaX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrminbanshee
Hey zombie stomp if thats the case then why does my 85 head have all the parts of your older head?
Me too?

'72 CB500
'78 GS1000
MaXYaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:08 PM   #171
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Quote:
Originally Posted by crag antler
Consider my hand raised for one
The weld-together kit, or the complete rack? What would you guys pay for something like this? I want to get a feel for the market out there, what's a good price, considering that this rack will be of much higher quality and durability than any rack ever offered for the XL600, while still keeping my hat size the same?

Old 04-30-2009, 02:10 PM   #172
BrandonR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Zombie is right, you have an '86 or '87 head, you don't have the bracket that anchors the auto-decomp cable, see this picture:

From XL600R Pictures

The other end of that cable conects here right behind the kickstart lever:
From XL600R Pictures
Old 04-30-2009, 02:12 PM   #173
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrminbanshee
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXYaX
Me too?
Ok, so maybe it was the '86 that changed in the world of XLs and there was no black version, I have an engine that was supposedly from a 1985 xR 600 that was a black version of the '86 and on design. Perhaps there were some left over heads while they were switching during the year of 1985. It's not like they jut said, "ok, it's 1985, we have to throw away all of the '83 and '84 heads now that we changed the design." Or maybe you two have 1985 year models that have had '84 or '83 heads put on, I mean that guy's got an '86 or '87 on his '85, so just because you two's heads match the color of the rest of the engine does not rule out the possibility of them having been swapped at some point... unless you are the 25-year original owners.

Let it be known that I don't actually work for Honda.

I would say I'm just human, but that's not entirely true as I am Zombie.

One thing's for sure though, I ain't the Wizard of Oz!

Old 04-30-2009, 02:13 PM   #174
MaXYaX
Adventurer

Yeah, must be later than an 85

Here's mine

It's an 85 and you can clearly see two different controls, one on the right from the handlebars, one on the left from the kickstart.

'72 CB500
'78 GS1000
Old 04-30-2009, 02:14 PM   #175
MaXYaX
Adventurer

Quote:
One thing's for sure though, I ain't the Wizard of Oz!
"Please ignore the man behind the curtain!"

'72 CB500
'78 GS1000
Old 04-30-2009, 02:21 PM   #176
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXYaX
"Please ignore the man behind the curtain!"

You should watch a old Sean Connery movie called Zardoz.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:22 PM   #177
rideLD
The further the better!

Oddometer: 5,349
Here is mine. I bought it brand new the day I got my learners permit. I had saved for almost 3 years prior. I was so proud of that bike. It was my only transportation until I finished high school. Then I bought a VF500 interceptor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
We pay Motorrad to design weight off the bike then pay TouraTech to bolt it right back on.
rideLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:23 PM   #178
scrminbanshee
Awsome

Oddometer: 807
Quote:
The weld-together kit, or the complete rack? What would you guys pay for something like this? I want to get a feel for the market out there, what's a good price, considering that this rack will be of much higher quality and durability than any rack ever offered for the XL600, while still keeping my hat size the same?
I might go around 60 or 70... there are some on sell right now on ebay for 89.99 so i don't know if that helps any...and i won't be able to purchase till i get all the title done...the old bike might just get parted out if i can't get one...so lame i don't want to tear it apart...but who knows...
scrminbanshee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:07 PM   #179
MaXYaX
Adventurer

Quote:
You should watch a old Sean Connery movie called Zardoz.
You mean this movie?

I'll have to check it out, I love old (and strange) movies.

Oh and I also would pay around $60 bucks (plus shipping) for a pre-welded rack. I am on a budget (read: broke), so it would be a few weeks, but I am definitely interested.

'72 CB500
'78 GS1000
Old 04-30-2009, 03:47 PM   #180
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideLD
Here is mine. I bought it brand new the day I got my learners permit. I had saved for almost 3 years prior. I was so proud of that bike. It was my only transportation until I finished high school. Then I bought a VF500 interceptor.

You are such a bad-ass! Are those lineman boots?