Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2009, 08:56 PM   #211
WhereAmI
Hop a Long

Oddometer: 294
Anybody have any tricks to getting the rear off, the new tires came in and I just cant get the rear chain adjuster and axle to turn a bit.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:16 PM   #212
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhereAmI
Anybody have any tricks to getting the rear off, the new tires came in and I just cant get the rear chain adjuster and axle to turn a bit.
I take it that you already got the axle nut completely off, right? How about your brake rod wingnut? If that is still on and tigt, it will be applying slight forward pressure on the rear wheel and hub assembly. The next thing you could try after those two items are off and out of the way, is to gently tap the axle out of the hub and swingarm with either a plastic, lead shot filled hammer, or a 5lb hammer and a block of wood, preferrably hardwood. Or anything softer than steel. If you use a hammer directly, you could mushroom out the end of your axle and the nut would not go back on. Once the axle has been broken free, your tensioners should start to move. If the chain is too tight this may contribute to the tensioners being difficult to rotate. The chain gets tighter with the bike's weight on it, and looser with the bike on a stand, as a rule of thumb.

I am curious as to the general rustiness of your bike in that area if this is a seriously stuck rear axle. Rear wheel bearings may be in order.

Look who's talking. I haven't changed mine since I got the bike with 42,000 miles on it, and then I rode it coast-to-coast!

Don't follow after me.

Looking forward to your fresh tire installation being a sucess. Neduro's Tire Changing Class (ADV thread) is a great resource. Never before did I know that it was possible to change tires without breaking a sweat!

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:25 PM   #213
uniter
anti-n00b

Oddometer: 41
Hi Everyone, This is my first post on this forum. I've been riding and working on off-road machines for about 7 years now.

I just bought a 1987 Honda XL600R, bone stock. When I bought it, it started up with 3 kicks when cold. I got it home and it took considerably more kicks, like in the range of 20-30 . Then the day after the only way I could get it going is by jump starting it. It had a weak spark and after reading of all the stator issues I got a Ricky Stator and put it in. Had spark, still wouldn't start. I took the carbs off, they were clean but i cleaned them anyway. Put them back on, choke on, still wouldn't start. I pulled the plug, there was a light amount of fuel on the plug (like what it should be), still sparked. I noticed some backfiring through the carbs.

I also noticed a hissing coming through the carbs when I slowly pushed through the compression stroke without the decompressor attached. I checked the valves, adjusted clearances, noticed the intake valves where tight against the rocker arm, couldn't get a .002 feeler in it, adjusted it, but it didn't fix it. I watched through the open valves covers while I cycled the engine, everything was working. I then noticed with the right intake valve cover off, I noticed no hissing through the carb so I thought I'd kick it over without the cover on to see if it started, 3 kicks and away it went! Turned it off, put the valve cover on, wouldn't start and hissed through the carbs. So now I'm thinking the valve cover is pushing on the intake valve and keeping it open when installed or whatever crazy obscure reason.

I get O-rings to put on the valve covers to give them more clearance and put them on, didn't start, took them off, didn't start. rested the right intake valve cover on the hole with the others sealed. Gave it a kick and the cover blew off from air pressure in the valve/cam compartment. Also noticed hissing coming from the valve/cam compartment. With the covers on the hissing went through the carbs and with them off it blew through the valve cover holes. All this while the engine still has ok compression at the start of the kick but if I keep putting pressure on the kickstarter the compression leaks out of it through somewhere in the head.

Now if it only leaked through the carbs, ok, burnt intake valve(s). I could see this being caused by the fact that the intake valvestems were tight against the rocker arms before I adjusted them. It also has the blasted stock lean jetting and stock exhaust, with a UNI filter. I'm thinking it's been exposed to heat. What gets me is that with the valve cover on, it hissed through the carbs and with them off, it hisses through the valve/cam area then valve cover holes.

Would this odd condition be cause by the head being cracked near the intake valve and extending into the valvetrain chamber?

This is really taking me for a ride, I just bought it a bit over a week ago and it ran fine the day I bought it and when I jumpstarted it last Saturday and rode it around for an hour and a half, it ran fine once it was started. Took it home, turned it off, tried to start it again while it was still hot, didn't go, hasn't run since except or that 3 second spurt with the valve cover off (I purposely turned it off because I didn't want it to run without a valve cover).

I any of you fine people would be able to help me it would be greatly appreciated. :)
uniter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:31 PM   #214
WhereAmI
Hop a Long

Thanks man, yea I got a stand coming as all of the buckets are either too flimsy or too short to get the bike high enough, sadly mine is gonna take a bit to get running again, I got the basement for the month and thats gonna be my makeshift garage. I heard a slight whine out of nowhere so I shut her off. Next thing I know the kickstarter wouldn't go down even while holding in the decompression lever (yes it works right). Now I can't find TDC at all. I'll take the time to plug the clutch actuator lever leak and get the old stripped bolt off the bash guard, I ended up rounding off the nut on the outside but I got a replacement on the way.

I noticed while looking at the carbs, my bike doesn't have an air screw. It ran fine but then again this is my first bike and I want it running soon as its my only ride.

EDIT: Nah i didn't get the axle nut off at all, I completely soaked it with some seafoam but I'll check tomorrow if its loosened somewhat

WhereAmI screwed with this post 05-03-2009 at 09:41 PM
WhereAmI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:44 PM   #215
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Quote:
Thanks man, yea I got a stand coming as all of the buckets are either too flimsy or too short to get the bike high enough, sadly mine is gonna take a bit to get running again, I got the basement for the month and thats gonna be my makeshift garage. I heard a slight whine out of nowhere so I shut her off. Next thing I know the kickstarter wouldn't go down even while holding in the decompression lever (yes it works right). Now I can't find TDC at all. I'll take the time to plug the clutch actuator lever leak and get the old stripped bolt off the bash guard, I ended up rounding off the nut on the outside but I got a replacement on the way.

I noticed while looking at the carbs, my bike doesn't have an air screw. It ran fine but then again this is my first bike and I want it running soon as its my only ride.
Ok, time to post the 100% FREE HONDA XL600 manual again. The site is in Italian, the manual is in English. There may be variations between the manual and your bike. For instance, the air screw for your primary carb is probably on the bottom if not on the side. If you can't find it, we'll need a picture. It has one, it's just a question of where.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:46 PM   #216
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Quote:

EDIT: Nah i didn't get the axle nut off at all, I completely soaked it with some seafoam but I'll check tomorrow if its loosened somewhat
Be sure the whole axle is not turning. If it is, the other side should be flat. Grab that flat end with an adjustable wrench and try again. If the little anti-spin rod thing is still on the flat side of the axle, then that should be keeping the axle from spinning in the first place.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:49 PM   #217
WhereAmI
Hop a Long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp
Ok, time to post the 100% FREE HONDA XL600 manual again. The site is in Italian, the manual is in English. There may be variations between the manual and your bike. For instance, the air screw for your primary carb is probably on the bottom if not on the side. If you can't find it, we'll need a picture. It has one, it's just a question of where.
Yea I have it saved but someone could always use it, mine is an 85 so its a bit different if i remember correctly. Its always useful to have around.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:57 PM   #218
ktmmark
have bike must travel

Oddometer: 290
honda xl600lmf

ktmmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:00 PM   #219
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Is that yours? You know several of us XL600 enthusiasts are "ga-ga" over the LMs. Details?

Old 05-04-2009, 01:07 PM   #220
ktmmark
have bike must travel

Oddometer: 290
my xl600

Yes it is, only had it 2 days i plan on going round russia & beyond with two mates all on honda xl600s it's done 52000 miles already so plan to strip the motor to check it but love it already. the tubeless rims 28ltr tank helped me make my mind up
So as you boys like them so much how strong are the motors & whats first to go
From what i have heard they are tough buggers
ktmmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:55 PM   #221
WhereAmI
Hop a Long

Thumb

Damn she purdy!
Old 05-04-2009, 02:28 PM   #222
scrminbanshee
Awsome

Oddometer: 803
So maybe somebody can help me.... I looked around on babbits and bike bandit..do you gus know if anybody makes just the seals for the inside of the front brake master cylinder..... I need one....i don't need to replace all of it....Thanks a bunch...
scrminbanshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:34 PM   #223
WhereAmI
Hop a Long

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrminbanshee
So maybe somebody can help me.... I looked around on babbits and bike bandit..do you gus know if anybody makes just the seals for the inside of the front brake master cylinder..... I need one....i don't need to replace all of it....Thanks a bunch...
Try here looks like you can buy every part of the bike and build it from the frame up if you wanted. I wouldn't advise it but whatever, anyways they order all the small hard to find bits and pieces direct from honda so it might take a few extra days to get to you.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:03 PM   #224
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmmark
Yes it is, only had it 2 days i plan on going round russia & beyond with two mates all on honda xl600s it's done 52000 miles already so plan to strip the motor to check it but love it already. the tubeless rims 28ltr tank helped me make my mind up
So as you boys like them so much how strong are the motors & whats first to go
From what i have heard they are tough buggers
Mechanically, the cam chain tensioner springs are a weak point of this engine. Then the piston/cylinder and head start to wear out, but that's not really a weak point. The crank and transmission are about bullet proof. If it doesn't smoke or tick, you're probably in good shape. It looks like someone has had the engine out to paint it at least.

Electrically, the stock stator goes out over the years. Check to see if it has been replaced. If it is stock (one of us should be able to tell from a photo) carry a replacement on your long trip.

I've wanted to do a round-the-world trip with a group of XL600 riders. Eventually I'll be able to assemble and prep a small fleet of about 4 bikes. Maybe I could meet up with XL enthusiasts around the world! They've got a big following in Holland, I hear.

Also, if you are in a remote location, and compressed air is in short supply, you may want to add a tube for each tire to your kit. While tubeless are easier to repair a flat using a plug kit, you would need a lot of compressed air to get the bead re-seated should you need to do so.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:14 PM   #225
badweatherbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 702
My new to me 83' XL600R!
Picked it up Sunday and rode it around a bit last night. Only a couple of issues but overall a great bike.
Attached Images

badweatherbiker is offline   Reply With Quote