Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2011, 09:59 PM   #4936
sh0rtlife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796
wouldnt a good soda blast clean them up just as good or better for prep at the blaster?...im fixing to do my own powder stuff next year

ive done textured paint finishes in the past on alot of auto stuff..and will NEVER do it on any of my own stuff....too much crap gets stuck in it.....and it can actualy be quite delecate stuff

dupont 222 doesnt yellow from the heat of the engine?.....i know most engine clears yellow up pretty bloody quick
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:18 AM   #4937
Edouard_Bracame
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
The 83-87 XL and XR cams are the same. The center journal keeps the cam from whipping. Get the head repaired.

Welded and milled to spec
Hi steve,

Any idea what kind of tool they were using to remachine the central journal?

Thanks,

Ed
Edouard_Bracame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:18 AM   #4938
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,372
ED,

He ( Mike at http://www.enginedynamics.com/) had a special bit or end mill made for his mill that is the same diameter as the center of the cam. He welds up the affected area and chucks the head in the mill and makes his cuts. The bit looks like a bull nose or round tip drill bit and he makes the cuts by moving the head sideways. He first registers the bit at the top edge of the head and then lowers the bit a specific ammount as the XR350 and XR600 heads have different spec from lip of head to the journal.

The cause for the center journal is two fold. One is of course running low on oil but the other is since there is a low or no oil level the head gets REALLY hot and the combustion chamber actually expands upwards putting pressure on the center journal. That and the low/no oil situation lead the journals demise.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:46 PM   #4939
Edouard_Bracame
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Thanks, does anyone has a picture of the special tool used?

What we usually do over here, it's to install a bronze half bearing with a hofman pin to avoid rotation.

Edouard_Bracame screwed with this post 10-26-2011 at 09:57 PM
Edouard_Bracame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:10 AM   #4940
sh0rtlife
Studly Adventurer

ok now the bronze sounds more like a "permanent" fix than just putting more aluminum in to get worn back out...got more details?
Old 10-27-2011, 06:02 AM   #4941
Mopowa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edouard_Bracame View Post
....with a hofman pin to avoid rotation.
Do you have a picture of a "hofman" pin. I'm curious. Thanks!
Old 10-27-2011, 12:43 PM   #4942
Z7MATT
n00b

Oddometer: 8
I have been looking for a 500 or 600 Honda fit over 6 months. My first priority is to ensure it has a title so I can register it to ride on the street. I have had no luck in the title department and most have been sold. The only one left is 2 hours from me. This is what the ad said. 1983 xl600r

This bike is not in mint condition, as a matter of fact the pictures show it looking better that it is,these are recent pictures too.currently the gas tank has been drained and will not start, complete with all original equipment, with title, great fixer upper or restore project, I bought this bike as a package deal, and dont have time to restore it now, engine condition unknown,but it does kick over, this bike takes more work than just put gas in it and start it. Price is FIRM $750

What do y'all think? Worth it? It has compression when nicked over and the trans goes in all the gears. Realistically if the engine needs rebuilt how much will I have to put in it at most for a stock rebuild?
Z7MATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:38 PM   #4943
sh0rtlife
Studly Adventurer

getting a title is soooooooooooo much easier than most ppl realize

id be willing to bet if its got good compresion it probably just needs the carbs gone thru and it will fire....what i WOULD be worried about is makeing sure its got spark..cause if it doesnt that could be a few hundred fixing that..stator, cdi, coil, magnetic pickup
Old 10-27-2011, 05:04 PM   #4944
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z7MATT View Post
I have been looking for a 500 or 600 Honda fit over 6 months. My first priority is to ensure it has a title so I can register it to ride on the street. I have had no luck in the title department and most have been sold. The only one left is 2 hours from me. This is what the ad said. 1983 xl600r

This bike is not in mint condition, as a matter of fact the pictures show it looking better that it is,these are recent pictures too.currently the gas tank has been drained and will not start, complete with all original equipment, with title, great fixer upper or restore project, I bought this bike as a package deal, and dont have time to restore it now, engine condition unknown,but it does kick over, this bike takes more work than just put gas in it and start it. Price is FIRM $750

What do y'all think? Worth it? It has compression when nicked over and the trans goes in all the gears. Realistically if the engine needs rebuilt how much will I have to put in it at most for a stock rebuild?
Parts are getting expensive. It all comes down to what you have to start with. Some have got it done from $1000 and some waaay over $3,000.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:25 PM   #4945
Carter Pewterschmidt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post
getting a title is soooooooooooo much easier than most ppl realize
Not in WI. Only the currently registered owner can apply for a "replacement" title. If the bike has changed hands since then you're only option is to track down said registered owner and then get them to take a trip to the DMV.
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:36 PM   #4946
Carter Pewterschmidt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
Just because it has compression doesn't mean it's good. Low comp motors start like hell and love to stall. It's a bad combo for a kick start bike. Honda manual says 175psi of comp warm. My bike had about 90psi when I got it and was hardly ride able. For a rebuild have about $150 or so for a piston w/ ring set, about $100 for a gasket kit, $80 or $90 for a timing chain, and leave some room for a valve set $70 to $120 for Stainless. Machining should cost about $40 to $60 for a bore and probably about the same for a head job if needed.

If the bodywork, tank, and seat are in decent shape then $750 isn't bad, or if it's at least a stock unmolested bike. If it's beat up and hacked up then stay away. The second XL I bought was running, riding, and titled with a nice tank but trashed plastics and I got it for $500.
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:41 PM   #4947
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

Oddometer: 710
Quote:

What do y'all think? Worth it?
No, I paid $800 for a running 84 RFVC XR500 that was all original and in better shape than you describe for this 83 XL6. It came with a title too.

I think I paid too much and I have close to another $800 in my bike to get it the way I wanted. But it depends upon your market and how much work you want to do (and can do) on these old machines.
Ghost_Mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:37 PM   #4948
dutchbike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Lost air mixture screw

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know where I could find a replacement air/mixture screw? Or can I just take any screw that will fit it? I've never really looked at it (so don't know if there is anything special about it) and now it's gone. Bike runs, but idles rough and will not run well at constant speed. I checked the diagrams at bikebandit, but it does not seem listed there (the diagram ain't great, so I could have just missed it).

Thanks!
dutchbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:05 PM   #4949
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchbike View Post
Hi Guys,

Does anyone know where I could find a replacement air/mixture screw? Or can I just take any screw that will fit it? I've never really looked at it (so don't know if there is anything special about it) and now it's gone. Bike runs, but idles rough and will not run well at constant speed. I checked the diagrams at bikebandit, but it does not seem listed there (the diagram ain't great, so I could have just missed it).

Thanks!

16016-KC2-970 1
$15.91

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:42 AM   #4950
BRPtourer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
And no, you cannot use just any screw. It has a calibrated, tapered tip on it.
And it should have an o-ring on it to prevent it from backing out as I recall.
BRPtourer is offline   Reply With Quote