Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2011, 04:58 PM   #5041
cynicwanderer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
it's probably fine like that. there are two and they are at and angle and connected to each other, which would make it more stable than a single larger carb. on a xr600/xr650l, and even those are fine like that for road applications. if you plan to do off road with lot's of jumps and stuff, then a bracket would be better. I definitely see the appeal of this setup, since dealing with the two plenums and the air-box is a pain. however, you wouldn't want to do any deep water crossings without the standard airbox/snorkel setup.

make sure that you re-jet the carburetor with those types of filters on them, especially if you have a non stock exhaust with more flow.. it will run leaner than with the standard filter/airbox and it's already very lean from the factory, unless you're at a higher altitude. in any case, something to be aware of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk the Jerk View Post
To the XL experts, I'm just now starting to tear into my '87 again, and I've got a question for ya...

I found this pic a while ago, posted way back in this thread I believe...

Anywho, is this a good idea, not supporting the carburetors on the airbox side? I would love to run mine like this, and get rid of the air box shenanigans, but worried about possible intake damage... A support bracket of some sort could be easily fashioned...
cynicwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:11 PM   #5042
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling

Oddometer: 1,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk the Jerk View Post
To the XL experts, I'm just now starting to tear into my '87 again, and I've got a question for ya...

I found this pic a while ago, posted way back in this thread I believe...

Anywho, is this a good idea, not supporting the carburetors on the airbox side? I would love to run mine like this, and get rid of the air box shenanigans, but worried about possible intake damage... A support bracket of some sort could be easily fashioned...
We raced go-karts for a while and they had some nice offset KN filters available. Maybe see if those might fit?
1Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:14 PM   #5043
Aaron from Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm still trying to get this bike to run, and after buggering up the spark plug threads, I've got more on my plate now... Although I did just find out about "back-taps" and I'm going to give that a shot, since it feels like just the first thread. I can't even get a quarter turn before it binds up...

Right now I've got spark again, but it's very, VERY weak... so I think a Ricky Stator is in my near future.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:18 PM   #5044
Doncolberto530
Greasy and confused

Oddometer: 84
Well, I guess I am screwed... I went down and checked it out today. My phone was acting up and I couldn't get any pics. Anyways, one of the rockers ended up punching a hole in the top of the head. It's pretty wild because the hole totally looks like its supposed to be there. But after shining a flashlight through the side of the engine and seeing the light come out the hole it was obviously the source of the leak. So right now it looks like I am at the least going to be replacing the head and the valve cover. As far as the cam goes my mechanic said it needs to be replaced but I am going to call to verify that again because I don't remember seeing anything obviously wrong with it and my preliminary searching has yielded two things: jack and shite as far as replacements go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Don,

Hopefully you haven't damaged the cam because if you did your screwed. Those things are like hens teeth. The only option is to have Web or Mega Cycle cams reweld it. I have a complete 1983 rocker cover available. Only had 7,000 miles on it when the counter balancer shaft decided to leave the engine.

When you go to visit the bike take close up pictures so we out here can see what your machinist is referring to.
Doncolberto530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:59 PM   #5045
sh0rtlife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796
ive got an 83 xl600r...its got the 17inch wheel on the back....can anyone point me in a direction of an 18incher that will slip in there WITHOUT mods?...ive got all sorts of 18inch rear tires sitting here from/for my 80 xl500s..so it would be nice to be able to put them to dual useage...i dont want to break the bank on a rear wheel...idealy something used from another year bike
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:17 PM   #5046
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling

Oddometer: 1,064
how about these filters?

http://www.knfilters.com/Racing/kart.htm
Code:

1Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:44 PM   #5047
cynicwanderer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
17" rear is the stock configuration. one way to do it, is to re-lace a 18" rim on the standard hub. also, there is a sub-thread on this thread about how to get a xr600r rear end mated up to the xl600r frame. the xr600r takes 18" wheels, but it's somewhat involved because the shock is in a different position one the bikes.one thing to watch out for, is that when you have a 18" wheel on there, it might bottom out and rub on the airbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post
ive got an 83 xl600r...its got the 17inch wheel on the back....can anyone point me in a direction of an 18incher that will slip in there WITHOUT mods?...ive got all sorts of 18inch rear tires sitting here from/for my 80 xl500s..so it would be nice to be able to put them to dual useage...i dont want to break the bank on a rear wheel...idealy something used from another year bike
cynicwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:17 PM   #5048
sh0rtlife
Studly Adventurer

ugh i didnt want to hear that lol.....i just want a simple slip it on and go solution a lil rub on the air box wouldnt worry me too much...i dont plan on doing any big air on the bike so the odds of me bottoming it out is slim to none....im not about to pay for a re-lace thats for sure..its not in the budget
Old 11-22-2011, 07:16 PM   #5049
Carter Pewterschmidt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
ugh i didnt want to hear that lol.....i just want a simple slip it on and go solution a lil rub on the air box wouldnt worry me too much
Replacing the air box will probably cost you as much as a new rear tire. A decent airbox without cracks, holes, or stripped out threads is a hard thing to come by.
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:48 PM   #5050
sh0rtlife
Studly Adventurer

my air box is next to perfect..there "was" 1 stripped out hole on the battery mount i rebuilt it and its stronger than new

i do however have another odd problem i totaly spaced.....the neutral light is flashing at speeds in 3rd 4th and 5th..its not a rythmic flash atleast not in anything but 5th at about 55...for the most part its random.......being my light is an LED pointed up at me its rather annoying.....anyone got an idea of why its flashing?...it works as intended in 1st and 2nd and neutral

part of the want to goto an 18 out back is ive got a nicer selection of 18 inch tires...but also a lil taller tire will net me a few more mph for hwy riding......which brings me to another thought...whats a good gearing to bring the rpms down on the road?...im not going to do a whole lot of steep trail riding so losing some low end torque for some top end speed or should i say lower cruising rpm would be benificial i think not to mention aid in the life of the motor
Old 11-22-2011, 09:10 PM   #5051
Aaron from Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Another couple newbie questions... Does the position of the pilot screw affect starting, and if so... What is a good place to start? When I rebuilt my carbs, I neglected to note where the pilot screw was before disassembly.

The manual states to start at 1.5 turns out, adjust idle after you have the bike warmed up, and then back it out 2 more turns...

So would 3.5 turns out be a good starting point, or 1.5?

Aaron from Texas screwed with this post 11-22-2011 at 09:20 PM
Aaron from Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:04 PM   #5052
RED1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doncolberto530 View Post
Well, I guess I am screwed... I went down and checked it out today. My phone was acting up and I couldn't get any pics. Anyways, one of the rockers ended up punching a hole in the top of the head. It's pretty wild because the hole totally looks like its supposed to be there. But after shining a flashlight through the side of the engine and seeing the light come out the hole it was obviously the source of the leak. So right now it looks like I am at the least going to be replacing the head and the valve cover. As far as the cam goes my mechanic said it needs to be replaced but I am going to call to verify that again because I don't remember seeing anything obviously wrong with it and my preliminary searching has yielded two things: jack and shite as far as replacements go.

You can use the later model rocker cover and camshaft that has the auto decomp system, as long as you have the matching rockers that are offset to clear the decomp system, I had them in my Honda XBR500 (GB500 to you) which runs the same cam and cover setup as all the older RFVC designs do, I was club racing it with a 600 kit and different cam and removed the e start and heavy starter gears and fitted a kick start instead with a manual decomp. If you wanted to use the auto decomp system on the later cam you would have to drill a hole for the pin which stops the system from spinning and makes the decomp lobe work or just remove it as the pin would have to be in exactly the same place to work correctly.
RED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 05:52 AM   #5053
Mopowa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
.......i do however have another odd problem i totaly spaced.....the neutral light is flashing at speeds in 3rd 4th and 5th..its not a rythmic flash atleast not in anything but 5th at about 55...for the most part its random.......being my light is an LED pointed up at me its rather annoying.....anyone got an idea of why its flashing?...it works as intended in 1st and 2nd and neutral
Check your grounds. I had a bad main ground connection and the first indication was the neutral indicator light.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:13 AM   #5054
sh0rtlife
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopowa View Post
Check your grounds. I had a bad main ground connection and the first indication was the neutral indicator light.

well i scratch wired the bike...the odds of there being a lose ground after the whole harness wrap....slim to none comes to mind....is there a way for the switch to ground out itself and start failing?
Old 11-24-2011, 12:36 PM   #5055
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,269
Quote:
well i scratch wired the bike...the odds of there being a lose ground after the whole harness wrap....slim to none comes to mind....is there a way for the switch to ground out itself and start failing?
Possibly. Did you check the wire itself coming from the sender? Could maybe have a bare spot intermitantly grounding to the engine case or frame somewhere.