Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2011, 06:31 AM   #5191
Mopowa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Okay, so I just got my bike back together after having a blown head gasket. I got an early Christmas/Birthday present while it was apart, a Trail Tech Voyager(http://www.trailtech.net/912-704.html), so I installed it at the same time. I rode it for the first time this morning and I'm concerned about the head temperature. The oil temp is perfect, but the head temp got up to 370. I double-checked each sensor using my infra-red temp gun. I'm just wondering if anyone else has a device that monitors head temp at the spark plug and if so, what they see on theirs?
Old 12-17-2011, 08:26 AM   #5192
Schrauberklaus
***ifyer

Oddometer: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopowa View Post
Okay, so I just got my bike back together after having a blown head gasket. I got an early Christmas/Birthday present while it was apart, a Trail Tech Voyager(http://www.trailtech.net/912-704.html), so I installed it at the same time. I rode it for the first time this morning and I'm concerned about the head temperature. The oil temp is perfect, but the head temp got up to 370. I double-checked each sensor using my infra-red temp gun. I'm just wondering if anyone else has a device that monitors head temp at the spark plug and if so, what they see on theirs?
Hi
I install beginning of this year a Ni-CrNi Thermocouple in the head cover to mesure the öiltemp. there.
On the pos. of the R Letter on the left side of the cover. There i mesure 136-140 °C with 80°C in the oiltank after the cooler . Thats after driving for one hour at 35°C air temperature
Honda XR 280 R Sumo 04 , Honda XR 250 Baja 98
Yamaha Speed MX ( 2 Stroke ) 01 ,CRF250L 13
Schrauberklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:27 AM   #5193
sh0rtlife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796
well with any engine the spark plug spot is going to ALWAYS be the hottest spot in the head but its really hard to say what normal is if the factory doesnt tell you lol.....if your worried try a colder plug ..but to be honest unless its a nitro rc engine id never measure an engines temp at the plug.......i measured my 500 in various places and at the plug your getting the same temp it was running..but you could easily drop 50+ degs just by what location your measureing
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:23 AM   #5194
HeadTrauma
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Oddometer: 1,260
If anything, a colder plug will increase the localized head temperature.
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:21 PM   #5195
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopowa View Post
That's considered in the normal range of an air cooled cylinder head.
Air-cooled cylinder heads regularly see temperatures over 320F and it is these high temperatures that lead to cylinder head problems which can run the gamut of cracks, loss of valve seats, loosening of valve guides and so on.
It turns out that an air-cooled cylinder head has a wide temperature variation across the head during operation. The intake side of the head is seeing relatively frigid temperatures from the intake mixture while the exhaust side of the head is exposed to blast furnace temperatures. The result is a huge temperature differential between the intake and exhaust valve seats and its no wonder that this is the area where the majority of cylinder head cracks like I found on Mendoteachs motor I built for him.With an air-cooled head you will probably even see temps from time to time in the 450f range to 500f.....depending on air temps/ fuel octane levels/ and riding conditions.
An air-cooled head can go from 30f to 450f in a matter of 6 to 10 minutes depending on outside air temps..

look at the welded spot on the head of Mendoteachs motor I found when I was welding the big fins on it, I was sorta surprised to find this on the intake side instead of the exhaust side.....the crack ran all the way from the chamber to the corner of the cam chain opening and up the head.
Attached Images

Powered by CW-Pistons/cams
Wizard manufacturing....

cyclewizard screwed with this post 12-17-2011 at 12:28 PM
cyclewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:42 PM   #5196
HeadTrauma
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cracking between an exhaust seat and the plug hole doesn't seem to be entirely uncommon with the twin-carb heads, either.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:50 PM   #5197
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadTrauma View Post
Cracking between an exhaust seat and the plug hole doesn't seem to be entirely uncommon with the twin-carb heads, either.
Yep. My original XL600 head was cracked there.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:45 PM   #5198
bdcorrigan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
I know its old but the bike looks good... then they have to go and tear it apart. Well I just wonder how muck they want for parts? I am sure not cheap!

http://eugene.craigslist.org/mcd/2697137000.html
bdcorrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:01 PM   #5199
HeadTrauma
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's just sad.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:59 PM   #5200
sh0rtlife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcorrigan View Post
I know its old but the bike looks good... then they have to go and tear it apart. Well I just wonder how muck they want for parts? I am sure not cheap!

http://eugene.craigslist.org/mcd/2697137000.html
maybe you can buy the whole thing?..worth asking
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:55 PM   #5201
Mopowa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Thanks for all the replies about engine temp. I am honored to have C-dub spill a bit of his wisdom on me
I guess I don't have much to worry about. I'm always a on edge after a rebuild. This new gadget just gives me more data to fuss over. Now I need to get busy building a rear rack!
Old 12-17-2011, 08:41 PM   #5202
Carter Pewterschmidt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadTrauma View Post
That's just sad.
I've parted out an 86, but it was pretty rough. They're worth a ton in parts. Not quite as much as this guy is asking for them though...
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:51 PM   #5203
HeadTrauma
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I own a Mustang SVO, so I'm a little sensitive to parting-out perfectly good, complete vehicles, especially when they're not common to begin with.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:30 AM   #5204
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,797
That bike would be a great candidate for a restro, it looks to be all there and in good condition.
What a same like HeadTrauma said.....