Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2011, 10:14 PM   #5221
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

Oddometer: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucifer View Post
Hey guys. Check out this Dirt Bike test from '83. Pretty cool.
I pilfered it from Thumpertalk.
http://davestestsandarticles.weebly....nda_xl600r.pdf

Larry Wilcox

That was a great article, I don't remember seeing it when it was on the supermarket shelves
Thanks for posting the link.

">
Ghost_Mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:36 PM   #5222
bdcorrigan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Mutant View Post
Larry Wilcox

That was a great article, I don't remember seeing it when it was on the supermarket shelves
Thanks for posting the link.

">
Speaking of CHiPs i hear they used XL's when they used dirt bikes for Jon and Ponch's patrol bikes
bdcorrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:38 AM   #5223
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,759
Ponch and Jon could have died riding on those worthless 70's era tires!
The bikes are cool though.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:55 AM   #5224
sh0rtlife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcorrigan View Post
Tell you what, you try it and give me a call when you run out and i will bring you some.
yeah um i dont think so...lol

over the past few days ive tryed to get the carbs to ice up but so far with REAL fuel (zero ethanol) it seems to have solved it..time to toss some elevation at it.....i made up 3 tiny digital temp guages figure if it ices up again im stuffing 1 down each throat and one inside the "empty" covered spot on the secondary carb and get some temp readings
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:35 PM   #5225
dutchbike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Requiem for my XL600R

Hi All,

Today, coming out of the office, I found that my beautiful 1986 xl600r was stolen. I still can't fully comprehend it, but slowly start to realize it is true. My days with her are over. Below is one of my fond memories of her carrying a bunch of stuff (and me) through Death Valley. Loyal old rider. Will miss you.

If anyone sees a '86 xl600r go by with a red-black plastic side cover (I lost the original white-black one during our last road trip in Los Padres Nat. Park) in the Bay Area, please let me know. License plate is 11H5307.

Thanks for all the great posts on this thread (and site). It's been a wealth of information for me.
Attached Images

dutchbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:34 PM   #5226
bdcorrigan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post
yeah um i dont think so...lol

over the past few days ive tryed to get the carbs to ice up but so far with REAL fuel (zero ethanol) it seems to have solved it..time to toss some elevation at it.....i made up 3 tiny digital temp guages figure if it ices up again im stuffing 1 down each throat and one inside the "empty" covered spot on the secondary carb and get some temp readings
Right on I guess I have to get some of that good gas
Old 12-20-2011, 09:38 PM   #5227
bdcorrigan
Studly Adventurer

Wicked

And I don't know how you all get 100+ miles out of a tank of gas? I can only get at best 80 miles. I think my right wrist has some kind of disease, I can't seem to keep it from twisting.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:45 PM   #5228
bdcorrigan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchbike View Post
Hi All,

Today, coming out of the office, I found that my beautiful 1986 xl600r was stolen. I still can't fully comprehend it, but slowly start to realize it is true. My days with her are over. Below is one of my fond memories of her carrying a bunch of stuff (and me) through Death Valley. Loyal old rider. Will miss you.

If anyone sees a '86 xl600r go by with a red-black plastic side cover (I lost the original white-black one during our last road trip in Los Padres Nat. Park) in the Bay Area, please let me know. License plate is 11H5307.

Thanks for all the great posts on this thread (and site). It's been a wealth of information for me.
That sucks a@@ keep an eye on craigslist and ebay in your area for parts, Hate to say it but it will probably be torn down for parts. One was taken from Portland this last summer I hear.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:53 PM   #5229
Mopowa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
And I don't know how you all get 100+ miles out of a tank of gas? I can only get at best 80 miles. I think my right wrist has some kind of disease, I can't seem to keep it from twisting.
I can ride mine hard and still get 110+. You must be riding in ankle-deep sand
Old 12-20-2011, 10:43 PM   #5230
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchbike View Post
Hi All,

Oh NOOOOOO.......
Dont listen to the naysayers that think your trusty steed is already parted out. Have everybody you know on the lookout and looking over every hillside and junky home in your area. We have recovered 3 bikes on our own by knocking on doors and listening to scanners for some punk riding one of our bikes in a neighborhood when the police swore it was probably parted out by now.

1. Post ad in Craigslist, Thumpertalk, Local 4x4 forums and Bulletin Boards with reward.
2. Call the fuzz.
3. Listen to scanner for punks on a dirt bike.
4. Ride anywhere you think they may have ditched it over a hill or trail.
5. Flyers with contact and reward info door to door.

Dont give up, its out there. We have found one of ours in the woods cut wiring (last week), one in a ghetto hood in a shed that some old lady pointed us to because she was sick of the kids riding wheelies on it and was the one calling the police. The same police that swore it had been chopped and who ignored the calls from the old lady. The 3rd bike was tracked down through contacting the local hoodlums.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1009935

bobbed06 screwed with this post 12-20-2011 at 10:50 PM
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 10:57 PM   #5231
sh0rtlife
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Right on I guess I have to get some of that good gas
scratch that...

problems still right there where it was its just smoother everywhere else......i had it out and stretched her legs and damnit if it didnt go right back at the same issue
49mph cruising along just fine..55 and a few mins in shes chugging and gasping back her down and im good..wait a few and pin it and i get 10-15 sec of WOT before its like im out of fuel....freezing carbs..well...no...i proved not

i picked up 3 harbor freight turkey type digital temp setups..after inspecting one and found i could "stretch" them out...a lil snip and some long bits of wire and i had 3...put 1 trimed way down into the dead area on the secondary the other 2 each went down the intake tubes sitting about half inch from the carbs....
40degs out and at idle and warmed up the dead port read 60 the intakes read 55 on the primary 60 on the secondary.
down the road WOT just as she is sputtering in i look down to see 50 on primary 55 on secondary 60 in the dead port
so...icing is officially ruled out .........now im stumped but due to the dead on like clock work point it starts and stops im thinking its fuel flow..like the carbs are sucking it up faster than it can fill....its not the floats..maybe its the petcock or lack of pressure

if nothing else ive got a nifty and quite usefull temp setup for other projects etc..reads well over 450deg

Old 12-20-2011, 11:03 PM   #5232
sh0rtlife
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbed06 View Post
Oh NOOOOOO.......
Dont listen to the naysayers that think your trusty steed is already parted out. Have everybody you know on the lookout and looking over every hillside and junky home in your area. We have recovered 3 bikes on our own by knocking on doors and listening to scanners for some punk riding one of our bikes in a neighborhood when the police swore it was probably parted out by now.

1. Post ad in Craigslist, Thumpertalk, Local 4x4 forums and Bulletin Boards with reward.
2. Call the fuzz.
3. Listen to scanner for punks on a dirt bike.
4. Ride anywhere you think they may have ditched it over a hill or trail.
5. Flyers with contact and reward info door to door.

Dont give up, its out there. We have found one of ours in the woods cut wiring (last week), one in a ghetto hood in a shed that some old lady pointed us to because she was sick of the kids riding wheelies on it and was the one calling the police. The same police that swore it had been chopped and who ignored the calls from the old lady. The 3rd bike was tracked down through contacting the local hoodlums.
ill add to this..look everywhere...and double think about posting on c-list with a reward...instead post a WANTED add ..dont be too specific.....every bike in your general description go and have a look at...cause "maybe" they have moe bikes around...it gets you into more yards ya dig!!!
and seriously check everywhere you can within atleast 10 miles of where it last was....dont give up hope..good chance you might actualy find it...its not new enuf to generaly get parted..instead its "joy ride" material
Old 12-20-2011, 11:46 PM   #5233
bdcorrigan
Studly Adventurer

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post
scratch that...

problems still right there where it was its just smoother everywhere else......i had it out and stretched her legs and damnit if it didnt go right back at the same issue
49mph cruising along just fine..55 and a few mins in shes chugging and gasping back her down and im good..wait a few and pin it and i get 10-15 sec of WOT before its like im out of fuel....freezing carbs..well...no...i proved not

i picked up 3 harbor freight turkey type digital temp setups..after inspecting one and found i could "stretch" them out...a lil snip and some long bits of wire and i had 3...put 1 trimed way down into the dead area on the secondary the other 2 each went down the intake tubes sitting about half inch from the carbs....
40degs out and at idle and warmed up the dead port read 60 the intakes read 55 on the primary 60 on the secondary.
down the road WOT just as she is sputtering in i look down to see 50 on primary 55 on secondary 60 in the dead port
so...icing is officially ruled out .........now im stumped but due to the dead on like clock work point it starts and stops im thinking its fuel flow..like the carbs are sucking it up faster than it can fill....its not the floats..maybe its the petcock or lack of pressure

if nothing else ive got a nifty and quite usefull temp setup for other projects etc..reads well over 450deg

Check the screen in the petcock? Check the flow into the secondary. How are the jets? Oh what about the O rings for the intake spacers...that reminds me i have to order that one. It has to be something simple.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:55 AM   #5234
Mopowa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
If you want, I could do a flow check on my bike. To see how much fuel flows from the petcock in a given amount of time.

By the way, that thermometer setup is the shizznit!
Old 12-21-2011, 08:40 AM   #5235
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,759
The petcock is probably full of rust. Also make sure the emulsion tubes under the main jets are clean and the little holes are clear.