Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2011, 08:33 PM   #5251
sh0rtlife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796
well after a BEAUTY of a ride shooting the back roads in the warm sun and fridged air...my fuel loss condition that was suspected as carb icing is now 110% GONE..hitting 70 and 80+ several times and even holding 80 for a good mile+ while catching up with a few hogs out enjoying the day ..as well as a nice drag race home

now someones probably going to kick and scream over my solution but.....it worked and thats all that matters

so you have the fuel inlet which goes into the carb then over the primary needle seat then thru a rather small hole then thru the transfer tube into the secondary thru another larger hole and over the needle seat.....traditional wisdom states that these 2 holes are going to cause a restriction and even possibly a build up of crap over the years that your never going to get out without some kind of sonic cleaning...but at the same time..if you want ALL of the fuel pressure(what little bit of gravity supplys) you wouldnt want these "restrictors" as the needle seat is going to handle that job on its own.....

so i drilled them out a bit..not alot just a little larger than the bigger of the 2..and the results speak for themselves

id love to know if the XR or the later xl carbs have this same tiny restrictions or if they are larger..the ph50s i have here have the same restriction in them as the 60s
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 08:43 PM   #5252
bdcorrigan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post
well after a BEAUTY of a ride shooting the back roads in the warm sun and fridged air...my fuel loss condition that was suspected as carb icing is now 110% GONE..hitting 70 and 80+ several times and even holding 80 for a good mile+ while catching up with a few hogs out enjoying the day ..as well as a nice drag race home

now someones probably going to kick and scream over my solution but.....it worked and thats all that matters

so you have the fuel inlet which goes into the carb then over the primary needle seat then thru a rather small hole then thru the transfer tube into the secondary thru another larger hole and over the needle seat.....traditional wisdom states that these 2 holes are going to cause a restriction and even possibly a build up of crap over the years that your never going to get out without some kind of sonic cleaning...but at the same time..if you want ALL of the fuel pressure(what little bit of gravity supplys) you wouldnt want these "restrictors" as the needle seat is going to handle that job on its own.....

so i drilled them out a bit..not alot just a little larger than the bigger of the 2..and the results speak for themselves

id love to know if the XR or the later xl carbs have this same tiny restrictions or if they are larger..the ph50s i have here have the same restriction in them as the 60s
Hey i got my coil exciter today from beaverton H. A speedy 2 whole days that has to be a record.
Good to hear you figured it out. When in doubt make the hole bigger.
bdcorrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:38 PM   #5253
BadDogMax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgej View Post
Hey BadDogMax,
Nice comparison on the two bikes.What was it you didn't like about he Xr650L? Or didn't you consider it?
I loved the XL and was going to get an XRL as an upgrade until I sat on one. It is really tall! At my 5' 9" height, I think the 37" seat height would take all of the fun out of risky hill climbs and sandy washes where you have to put your foot down a lot. I know they can be lowered 1 to 1.5" inches, and that was kind of plan B until I sat on the lowered DR, which is 33.5" by my measurement, just a tad lower than the old XL.

Yesterday I took one of my favorite local dirt roads on the DR for the first time. It's a different machine for sure. It starts out softer but has so much damping that it never bottomed out. The brakes are way better, the low speed gearing and torque is not as good. The DR 5th gear feels like an overdrive, I REALLY like that. I didn't like winding the XL out on the highway.

Another comparison shot - look how close the bars, etc are. It's like Suzuki used the XL as a template.

Untitled
Old 12-24-2011, 09:44 PM   #5254
sh0rtlife
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcorrigan View Post
Hey i got my coil exciter today from beaverton H. A speedy 2 whole days that has to be a record.
Good to hear you figured it out. When in doubt make the hole bigger.
well that is quick thats for sure..mine took 4 days lol

oh yeah..i cant speculate how far you can go on reserve.....but i will say this....make sure the markings on the valve are actually CORRECT .......in my case res=on on=res.....thankfully i ran out across the street from a gas station in a safeway parking lot..a nice guy in a gen1 cummins dodge gave me about 1/4 gal of 2stroke mix to save me the shame of pushing the xl over to the gas station ...even on the 2 stroke mix she didnt blow any smoke
Old 12-25-2011, 08:42 AM   #5255
Carter Pewterschmidt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 948
Christmas ride

Since we're having such fair weather this December I took the XL to get some Christmas breakfast this morning. Can't pull that off every year in this state!
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:06 AM   #5256
bdcorrigan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
Since we're having such fair weather this December I took the XL to get some Christmas breakfast this morning. Can't pull that off every year in this state!
I am going to take mine out here soon.
What about these aftermarket parts you speak of?
Old 12-25-2011, 10:30 AM   #5257
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadDogMax View Post
I loved the XL and was going to get an XRL as an upgrade until I sat on one. It is really tall! At my 5' 9" height, I think the 37" seat height would take all of the fun out of risky hill climbs and sandy washes where you have to put your foot down a lot. I know they can be lowered 1 to 1.5" inches, and that was kind of plan B until I sat on the lowered DR, which is 33.5" by my measurement, just a tad lower than the old XL.

Yesterday I took one of my favorite local dirt roads on the DR for the first time. It's a different machine for sure. It starts out softer but has so much damping that it never bottomed out. The brakes are way better, the low speed gearing and torque is not as good. The DR 5th gear feels like an overdrive, I REALLY like that. I didn't like winding the XL out on the highway.

Another comparison shot - look how close the bars, etc are. It's like Suzuki used the XL as a template.

Untitled
The lowered DR650SE sure is a sweet bike.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:56 AM   #5258
tractor4play
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
lm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billtr96sn View Post
You should never use abrasives on jets, needles etc, ever!

Anyway I have a XL600LMF (85 year) and had the same probs you are having, I too was stumped, in a final act of desperation I sent them off to be vapour blasted inside and out, I then fitted new jets (They do wear over the years) and totally removed the air filter foam.
After all that she runs like a dream, pulls like a steam train, better top end (mine has a sidecar) and regularly cruises the motorway at about 80mph for mile after mile.
hi,did you remove the entire air filter?if so what jetting are you running and what exhaust/silencer set up.
tractor4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:03 PM   #5259
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Oddometer: 393
I removed the entire filter but kept the air box to act as a still air/plenum chamber.The jetting is standard with no changes. The exhaust is a length of 2" pipe with two bends. You can see and hear it in this short video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVyP7...1&feature=plcp
Billtr96sn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:55 PM   #5260
cynicwanderer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
nice, but the sidecar is on the wrong side ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billtr96sn View Post
I removed the entire filter but kept the air box to act as a still air/plenum chamber.The jetting is standard with no changes. The exhaust is a length of 2" pipe with two bends. You can see and hear it in this short video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVyP7...1&feature=plcp
cynicwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:17 PM   #5261
bdcorrigan
Studly Adventurer

Anybody know where I could pick up one of these with the tach.
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2011, 08:12 PM   #5262
cynicwanderer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
I bought one off e-bay several years ago. the tachometer needs a flexible drive from the valve cover/camshaft (which I have not found). that's what the helical gear on the camshaft is for (to drive the tach). I use the speedometer only, and
like the fact that all the indicator lights are in the same housing. I had though about converting the mechanical tach to an electronic one (with a dial) in the same housing, but never got around to it. for now, it's an empty spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcorrigan View Post
Anybody know where I could pick up one of these with the tach.
cynicwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:19 PM   #5263
sh0rtlife
Studly Adventurer

i totaly forgot about that tach being mechanicaly driven......course..in theory you could probably get your hands on one and then gut it pull the face and needle off and mod a sun mini tach to fit in its place with the stock face and needle to go electric

i wonder if theres a provision to mod the head cover to take the cable on non tach equiped bikes..ie something that could be drilled and tapped out?..or is a big chunk need to be added?...

anyone got a pic of the tach head vs the non tach head?.....got me pondering
Old 12-28-2011, 08:33 PM   #5264
HeadTrauma
\_(ツ)_/

Oddometer: 1,260
One problem with the Sun tach is that it is only designed to be used on four, six and eight-cylinder engines and will not work on a wasted-spark single like an RFVC without some internal modifications. I think I got one working that way, but I have not thoroughly tested it. It's also not compatible with CDI ignition coils.

Yes, the '83-87 tachless head covers do have the bosses necessary to machine them for a tach drive.
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:20 PM   #5265
sh0rtlife
Studly Adventurer

a friend of mine has modified several of the sun tach's to run on single cyl..tho not cdi......micro car mods and such...but its nice to know that we do indeed have the bosses to make it work..but to the tachless cover engines all have the tach drive on the cam? or did that make different cams as well?...ive not had my hands inside my 600 engine...yet....but into a couple xl500s's