Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2012, 01:42 AM   #5296
Scientist of Fun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billtr96sn View Post
Dont panic. When you pull it up does it move easily? If so, then it is just your return spring broken. It does mean the casing has to come off but any bike shop will do it easily. The problem you will have though, is finding a way to hold the kicker in the upright position when you are riding.

One workaround is to use a bungee strap (I dont now what you call them, but they are a rubber cord with a hook at either end)

If you let the kicker fall down with the engine running, you will hear a horrid noise, that is the ratchet mechanism clicking round, and if you let it do that it will bugger up your kick ratchet mechanism and the bits of metal from that will be in your oil, not good.
I was composing the previous post while you courteously and quickly responded to my concern. I want you to know I really appreciate that. How do you add rep (or equivalent? maybe im too noob to do so ) ?

Anyway, yeah it does return manually and yes i'm going to find something in the office, maybe a huge paperclip straightened out then wrapped around the kickstart and the part of the frame that the kickstart sits "comfortably" closest to. Ahhhh, yes, here's one of those huge paperclips. So yeah, if that rachet mechanism DID INDEED make that horrid noise for about a second, max two then does that mean I have ratchet in my oil already??? Either way, I guess that's a good excuse to get my oil changed concurrently with the return spring replacement (or whatever they do to it... how would they go about repairing it?).

By the way, you're awesome.
Scientist of Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:52 AM   #5297
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Oddometer: 393
One or two seconds is fine, just dont ride home with it making that noise. If you can start it ok, use something like sticky tape to get you home.

It is an easy fix if you know how, and most (all?) bike mechanics will be able to do it in short order.
Billtr96sn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:54 AM   #5298
Scientist of Fun
Adventurer

Quote:
One or two seconds is fine, just dont ride home with it making that noise. If you can start it ok, use something like sticky tape to get you home.

It is an easy fix if you know how, and most (all?) bike mechanics will be able to do it in short order.

Sticky tape? Like, electrical tape? To hold the kickstarter in place, right?
Old 01-02-2012, 02:02 AM   #5299
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Yes, that's it.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:06 AM   #5300
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Oh yes, repair. The kickstart comes off, then the casing. Have a container underneath to catch the oil. remove the old spring making sure you have found all of it, put in new spring and tension it, then replace what you removed and do a oil change as well.

On re reading, it will NOT affect your decompression lever etc at all.

Billtr96sn screwed with this post 01-02-2012 at 02:07 AM Reason: adding re-assurance.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:19 AM   #5301
Scientist of Fun
Adventurer

Here's a picture of the temporary fix for the ride home... Couldn't find any electrical tape so I had to make do with a couple of paperclips...
(Pardon the crappy quality and glare, but you get the gist of it)
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2012, 02:27 AM   #5302
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

That should be ok.

I have ridden for thousands of miles with 'bodges' similar to that.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:32 AM   #5303
Scientist of Fun
Adventurer

Quote:
That should be ok.

I have ridden for thousands of miles with 'bodges' similar to that.
Thank you, so much!

I will take her to the shop as soon as I get a chance and let you know what happens. I just have to save a bill since I would like the mechanic to do a multiple point inspection of the bike while im at it. I just spent $400 on riding gear last week and it left me on a tight budget! I love it though.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:34 AM   #5304
Scientist of Fun
Adventurer

Quote:
Oh yes, repair. The kickstart comes off, then the casing. Have a container underneath to catch the oil. remove the old spring making sure you have found all of it, put in new spring and tension it, then replace what you removed and do a oil change as well.

On re reading, it will NOT affect your decompression lever etc at all.
One more thing... You said, "remove the old spring making sure you have found all of it".. So does that mean there's a loose spring loosely hanging around in the engine casing that has the possibility of getting caught in the engine oil as well??? uh-oh that doesn't sound safe for running the engine... or is it.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:57 AM   #5305
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

You should be ok as the spring (both parts) will stay on the kickstart shaft. The only problem you may have ( and I stress may) is if the spring has broken where it turns 90 degrees to locate in the inner casing (Crankcase proper).
I will say though, I have seen these break a few times and have never seen one break there.

I actually have a spare spring in my toolbox, just in case
Old 01-02-2012, 03:19 AM   #5306
Scientist of Fun
Adventurer

Quote:
You should be ok as the spring (both parts) will stay on the kickstart shaft. The only problem you may have ( and I stress may) is if the spring has broken where it turns 90 degrees to locate in the inner casing (Crankcase proper).
I will say though, I have seen these break a few times and have never seen one break there.

I actually have a spare spring in my toolbox, just in case
I just hope I can find a return spring somewhere here in town.. if not, then ebay to the rescue. Either way, it looks like i'll be using my four wheeled lady in the meantime. I don't wanna risk that spring getting eaten up by something that's supposed to be on a pure oil diet.

So, like I said, i'm probably going to be without a bike for a while or maybe I just might break down and call Clayjars tommorow afternoon. I hope the ride home is safe for my bike and I.

Once again, Billtr96sn... THANK YOU!

Any other input is also welcome, fellow inmates!
Old 01-02-2012, 07:01 AM   #5307
BRPtourer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Bummer that your "new" bike broke already, but with 25 year old machines stuff does break occasionally. However, you will find that these bikes are pretty rock-solid. A kick starter spring breaking on an old bike is not uncommon, but not something that happens regularly enough to worry about in the future. I would suggest that you get a new one rather than used, as it will probably last as long as the rest of the bike. Probably can get it from your dealer or "Bike Bandit" ( they ship fast). Other than that I cannot add much to what Bill said.
As to your first post about starting... I have found that you don't want to hold the throttle open when starting a big thumper! But, sometimes mine needs a little extra when cold so I usually turn the idle speed screw up a turn when the bike is cold then turn it back down as it warms up. It makes starting mine much easier, but my carbs are kind of messed up too. The biggest problem I have heard of from owners of these bikes is that they are often finicky about the starting procedure and not all like the same method. After a little while you will eventually learn what yours likes.
Also, if you have some mechanical aptitude and some basic tools, these bikes are rather easy to repair and keep in top shape. Get yourself a shop manual. Even if you don't do your own repairs you can be much better informed about how things work so you can understand what your mechanic is telling you and charging you for.
BRPtourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:15 AM   #5308
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,740
Happy new year guys!
I'll fix the kicker for scientist when he gets out of bed so he can get back to...
Old 01-02-2012, 10:21 AM   #5309
HeadTrauma
\_(ツ)_/

Oddometer: 1,260
Fortunately it's not a major job to replace the spring. I don't recall if the clutch basket has to come off or if it's just easier with it out of the way.
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #5310
Carter Pewterschmidt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 963
Quote:
First off cut out the priming kicks, not necessary.

OK here are the stages.

Fuel on.
Choke on.
Find compression
Ease over compression using decompression lever (Valve lifter)
Either slight throttle or no throttle (depending on how your carb is set up)
Give long swinging kick, not a sharp stab.
Ride away
as engine warms up steadily close choke.
I'm a firm believer in the primer kick. I never use the choke or touch the throttle, that always ends up giving me kickbacks. I just give it a bunch of priming kicks (number of them depends on how cold it is Like 10 if its cold 15 if it's really cold, or just a few if it's 70 or so out) with the decomp lever pulled and the choke on then turn the ignition on, turn off the choke, and it usually pops in one kick. Now it may be different for me because I went up one size on the pilot jet, but it's the best way I found so far.
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote