Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #5431
HeadTrauma
\_(ツ)_/

Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post
anyone got any input on a "missed shift"...seems if im hard launching every now and then it will find N instead of 2nd..its quite well pissing me off and im wondering whats up.....also when she is still warming up i get a shudder from the clutch..im guessing its due to needing more heat
Under what other conditions is it landing in neutral on the 1-2 shift? Shifting with or without the clutch? On dirt or slab? Tire spinning or not? My XR is not happy making a clutchless 1-2 shift, especially on dirt with the rear tire spinning. Clutch shudder is unusual IMO, but probably nothing to worry about unless the clutch slips as well.
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:08 AM   #5432
sh0rtlife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796
its on the slab WITH the clutch from 1 to 2...i can down shift all day long and never find N but every now and then ill be wheels down hard launch but down just enuf to keep the front on the ground and bam hey look here N..funny cause any other time N is HELL to find atleast with my boot...i can find it by hand every time tho

the more i think about it ..it seems to be very rpm dependent....wish i had a tach on there
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:23 AM   #5433
HeadTrauma
\_(ツ)_/

Oddometer: 1,260
It could be that the dogs are getting worn. In my experience, sequential gearboxes like our bikes have tend to shift better at high RPM.
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:56 AM   #5434
sh0rtlife
Studly Adventurer

thats the funny thing..at low rpm it NEVER happens at low mid never at mid high seems to be where it happens most..at high rpm its very rare..but at that point we are talking front wheel in the air lol
Old 01-21-2012, 09:48 AM   #5435
Emile
+

Oddometer: 104
sounds like worn dogs ;)

shame you will have to split the engine to have a look at them. If you want to get it fixed at least, or just live with it.

Emile
Old 01-21-2012, 04:58 PM   #5436
trouteagle
n00b

Oddometer: 5
newbie stator help

This may have been covered in here, but spent a month reading to page 106. Intro will have to wait. Need help now. My new Ricky has green nut mount wire at both ends with no connection on the bike. Where do these connect? Ground to frame? For another model? Thanks.
Also, anybody around PDX want to ride? I work on the Gifford Pincot. Need some partners! Zombie? Mortimer (I don't want a pickle...)?
trouteagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:14 PM   #5437
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by trouteagle View Post
This may have been covered in here, but spent a month reading to page 106. Intro will have to wait. Need help now. My new Ricky has green nut mount wire at both ends with no connection on the bike. Where do these connect? Ground to frame? For another model? Thanks.
Also, anybody around PDX want to ride? I work on the Gifford Pincot. Need some partners! Zombie? Mortimer (I don't want a pickle...)?
Here are a couple of links for schematics:

http://www.rickystator.com/04technic.../RSXR600_A.pdf

http://www.rickystator.com/04technic.../RSXR600_B.pdf

Zombie seems to have gone back to the crypt, or wherever it is the Undead go. I still show up at most of the Meet-Ups. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215344

Come on down.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:30 PM   #5438
trouteagle
n00b

Oddometer: 5
thanks

Got it. First kick fire. Fifth kick running, no sweat for once. Still having hot start issues tho. Still not reliable enough for more than blasting around BG back roads. Time for some carb work I guess. Good thing I have hundreds of pages of ideas to pull from here!
trouteagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #5439
jgrady1982
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 776
Green wire...frame ground....I think it's for the headlight...mine is sandwiched between the air box top mount bolt left side...
jgrady1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:33 AM   #5440
EnduroTom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Alternate Honda Tool Kit for XL600R

Not sure if anyone else will find this useful, but here it goes. My bike did not come with a tool kit, but I wanted some basic tools for riding around town. That original multi-tool is NLA and looks more useful as a brass knuckle than something to take a wheel off. I thought about bolting a tool bag to the rear rack like the XR's but then figured it'd just get stolen. So I started searching for another Honda tool kit that would have the right sized tools for the XL and would fit inside the lockable tool box. Most important was to find a kit that had the right wrenches for taking off the axle nuts, 17 & 24 mm. I figured all the smaller fasteners were the same. Not too surprisingly, a bike with the same displacement had the right wrenchs, the Honda Shadow VT600C.

I got mine off of Ebay and it's a pretty good match. The axle nut wrenches are indeed the right size and even the spark plug socket is the right size & length. The usual screw drivers, 10 & 12 mm wrenches are included, but I do wish there were some 10 & 12 mm sockets too. Another problem is XL tool box is on the small side. If you arrange all the tools carefully, everything will fit except the large wrench for the rear spring. But, since these tools are for emergency use only, I don't see it as a big issue.

Thanks,
Tom

EnduroTom screwed with this post 01-23-2012 at 10:41 AM
EnduroTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:19 AM   #5441
Les Peterson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroTom View Post
Not sure if anyone else will find this useful, but here it goes. My bike did not come with a tool kit, but I wanted some basic tools for riding around town. That original multi-tool is NLA and looks more useful as a brass knuckle than something to take a wheel off. I thought about bolting a tool bag to the rear rack like the XR's but then figured it'd just get stolen. So I started searching for another Honda tool kit that would have the right sized tools for the XL and would fit inside the lockable tool box. Most important was to find a kit that had the right wrenches for taking off the axle nuts, 17 & 24 mm. I figured all the smaller fasteners were the same. Not too surprisingly, a bike with the same displacement had the right wrenchs, the Honda Shadow VT600C.

I got mine off of Ebay and it's a pretty good match. The axle nut wrenches are indeed the right size and even the spark plug socket is the right size & length. The usual screw drivers, 10 & 12 mm wrenches are included, but I do wish there were some 10 & 12 mm sockets too. Another problem is XL tool box is on the small side. If you arrange all the tools carefully, everything will fit except the large wrench for the rear spring. But, since these tools are for emergency use only, I don't see it as a big issue.

Thanks,
Tom

The tool kit for a KLR650 will also work. I have both bikes and use the KLR tools all the time. The axle and sparkplug is the biggest thing though and they work well.
Les Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:39 PM   #5442
sh0rtlife
Studly Adventurer

and this right here is why i dont get the comments of "its soo hard to start"...properly adjusted auto de-comp and knowing how to find the sweet spot is all it takes...and before anyone says im low on compression and worn out...shes still pulling into the mid 90mph on the pavement and a wheelie machine and getting GREAT MPG

now mind you she had been sitting for a day and a half before I did this

Old 01-25-2012, 06:52 AM   #5443
Carter Pewterschmidt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post
and this right here is why i dont get the comments of "its soo hard to start"...properly adjusted auto de-comp and knowing how to find the sweet spot is all it takes...and before anyone says im low on compression and worn out...shes still pulling into the mid 90mph on the pavement and a wheelie machine and getting GREAT MPG

now mind you she had been sitting for a day and a half before I did this
I'd say I figured out how to get mine to start easy as well, but I'm not brave enough to try it by hand.
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:53 AM   #5444
Iain S
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
VIN plates XL/XR

Hi Fellow XL600 Riders! I have a question as I am not near my XL or an XR at the moment. I am working on an XL600R project which involves using another XL or XR frame. Are the VIN plates on the headstock of the same type...and therefore, theoretically speaking, possible to swop over. No I am not a bike thief! A licensed XR600 may be easier to come by than a good XL. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:05 AM   #5445
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,819
Quote:
Originally posted by trouteagle
Still having hot start issues tho.
Mine did the same thing. I'm no carb expert, but I suspect it is flooding while starting. Here is the method I used: each time I would slowly kick the motor over about 2-3 times without any throttle to clear the chamber and give it a fresh charge of air/fuel. Then I would find the compression stroke (sweet spot), hold the throttle wide open, then kick it swiftly. The instant it fired, I would let off the throttle to avoid revving the motor. Worked like a charm. Cold starts on my bike required a completely different method, but it sounds like you have that figured out.

Now I'm sure someone who knows about carb tuning could fix the problem, but for me the method worked every time. When I sold the bike to my friend, he was frustrated and skeptical. I demonstrated the method for him once. 5 minutes later, he could start it every time. Not a problem since.

I think the XL600 is a very reliable bike, and wouldn't be afraid to take it anywhere. I came to realize, though, that a broken leg in the back woods would likely make starting the bike impossible.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote