ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 03:46 PM   #5611
randylahee
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: B.C. CANADA
Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayjars View Post
The head gasket is a sandwich. It probably peeled apart upon disassembly.
right you are!
__________________
2001 XR650L
2006 CRF450R
randylahee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #5612
randylahee
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: B.C. CANADA
Oddometer: 65
looking for an air filter element holder(plastic thing that goes inside the air filter)

please let me know if you have one, i bought one off ebay for over 50 bux and it got thrown in the trash :(

--- EDIT JUST BOUGHT A PARTS BIKE WITH ONE IN IT ---
__________________
2001 XR650L
2006 CRF450R

randylahee screwed with this post 03-20-2012 at 10:02 PM
randylahee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:58 PM   #5613
BRPtourer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Carson City
Oddometer: 158
Bike Bandit has them for $16.25 US, dunno about shipping to Canada.
http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...9701#sch408652
They call it a holder, if that is the part I think you are describing.
BRPtourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:53 PM   #5614
CaptHook
n00b
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Midwest
Oddometer: 5
85 xl600r

I've been reading lots of posts in the forums on ADV Rider trying to decide on the best adventure tourer for me and my son. We plan on some off road riding this summer. I had a 87 XL600R that I loved, but sold it when building a house, have kicked myself a dozen times. I then bought a 87 XR600R, but haven't ridden it much because of lack of the plate, but my boy has started riding it. Today we picked up an 85 XL600R with 13,500 miles. It runs like a top and is in good shape, not perfect, but nice. I'm looking forward to doing some back roads and trails this summer. I was drooling over KTM adventures and 690 enduros, but I decided that it's pretty tough to beat the XL600R for what I'm looking for. Particularly when price is factored in. Besides it's tough to ever forget your first love. For me that will always be the Honda XL600R.
CaptHook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #5615
Licky
Adventurer
 
Licky's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Dewey, AZ (Near Prescott)
Oddometer: 82
forks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake-83XL600R View Post
Buddy has a set of 02 YZ 250 USD's foor cheap that are in good shape. I am not smart enough to know if I can bolt them on like the crf forks. Anyone know?
Picked up a set of 1995 CR500 USD forks with tripples, protaper bars, wheel/tire/axle/rotor. Just need a brake a caliper, line and bracket. I am thinking the master cylinder will work that i have but a guy in Phoenix has the full brake system for $80. Ordered a headlight with the signals built into the fairing to get things going too.

I am shopping around and trying to decide if the most basic of Trailtech computers is fine or if I should spend a bit more for the vapor. I would really like to have a tach but I dont think that alone is worth the difference for me.
Licky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:26 PM   #5616
sh0rtlife
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: 20 mins west of portland oregon
Oddometer: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake-83XL600R View Post
Picked up a set of 1995 CR500 USD forks with tripples, protaper bars, wheel/tire/axle/rotor. Just need a brake a caliper, line and bracket. I am thinking the master cylinder will work that i have but a guy in Phoenix has the full brake system for $80. Ordered a headlight with the signals built into the fairing to get things going too.

I am shopping around and trying to decide if the most basic of Trailtech computers is fine or if I should spend a bit more for the vapor. I would really like to have a tach but I dont think that alone is worth the difference for me.
wish i could find a cheep front end(anything to lose this unknown drum without spending a fortune)

i will say this about NOT having the vapor....the vapor has a light you can turn on and LEAVE ON!!!!.....that said id spend the lil extra for it...the cheeper model has a light yes..but it only stays on 5 sec MAX....sooo if you want to see the guages at night you better be able to do it quickly ...or...only look at it when you pass under a street light like i do
i should mention i originaly got the cheeper unit so i could use it on my xl500 which is a 6v bike..since it needs no external power..but had i known about the light and then the later fact that you can run the vapor off of as low as 3? or 5 v....i would have gotten it anyway....but i got a screaming deal on mine(miss listed on ebay)
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:00 PM   #5617
Licky
Adventurer
 
Licky's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Dewey, AZ (Near Prescott)
Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post

i will say this about NOT having the vapor....the vapor has a light you can turn on and LEAVE ON!!!!.....that said id spend the lil extra for it...the cheeper model has a light yes..but it only stays on 5 sec MAX....sooo if you want to see the guages at night you better be able to do it quickly ...or...only look at it when you pass under a street light like i do
As it turns out the Endurance model from Trailtech is or will be discontinued. The Endurance II that is replacing it in the lineup now has a costant light like the vapor. Not sure exactly how similar the light works. They also don't have a price listed but would think it would be pretty close to the original model to keep the cheap people like myself as customers. Time will tell.

http://trailtech.net/enduranceii.html
Licky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:06 AM   #5618
randylahee
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: B.C. CANADA
Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRPtourer View Post
Bike Bandit has them for $16.25 US, dunno about shipping to Canada.
http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...9701#sch408652
They call it a holder, if that is the part I think you are describing.
yea thats the one, they list it but when you go to buy it , its not available :( its discontinued by honda
__________________
2001 XR650L
2006 CRF450R
randylahee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:27 AM   #5619
sh0rtlife
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: 20 mins west of portland oregon
Oddometer: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake-83XL600R View Post
As it turns out the Endurance model from Trailtech is or will be discontinued. The Endurance II that is replacing it in the lineup now has a costant light like the vapor. Not sure exactly how similar the light works. They also don't have a price listed but would think it would be pretty close to the original model to keep the cheap people like myself as customers. Time will tell.

http://trailtech.net/enduranceii.html
they are pretty local...maybe ill have to ride up there and find out what the deal is.....last time i rode up there they gave me a sweeeeeeeet discount on both the volt reg and reg/rec units..basicaly got the reg/rec for the cheepest i could find on ebay minus shipping..and the reg unit for free
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:47 AM   #5620
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer
 
mcma111's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco,Ca.
Oddometer: 11,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post

wish i could find a cheep front end(anything to lose this unknown drum without spending a fortune)
PM sent
__________________
Steve in SF

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:15 PM   #5621
Licky
Adventurer
 
Licky's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Dewey, AZ (Near Prescott)
Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post
they are pretty local...maybe ill have to ride up there and find out what the deal is.....last time i rode up there they gave me a sweeeeeeeet discount on both the volt reg and reg/rec units..basicaly got the reg/rec for the cheepest i could find on ebay minus shipping..and the reg unit for free
i have been emailing back and forth. they say that it will be another month or two before the Endurance 2 comes out. she recommended the Vector. not sure if that was a hint or just stating that it would meet my needs and is currently available. Vector is 109 plus a cylinder head temp sensor that goes on the spark plug somehow (possibly bolted on by the plug as it looks like an eyelet)
Licky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:33 PM   #5622
sh0rtlife
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: 20 mins west of portland oregon
Oddometer: 796
i sure wouldnt hesitate to get the vector over the old endurance.....if the new one stays lit on the otherhand...that would change my mind..no real need for a tach ..but the temp probe would be nice now and then
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:36 PM   #5623
randylahee
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: B.C. CANADA
Oddometer: 65
picked up an 85 thats missing all the signals and lights but runs good

__________________
2001 XR650L
2006 CRF450R
randylahee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:58 PM   #5624
randylahee
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: B.C. CANADA
Oddometer: 65
check out this valve spring compressor my cheap ass made

__________________
2001 XR650L
2006 CRF450R
randylahee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:31 AM   #5625
BRPtourer
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Carson City
Oddometer: 158
^^ When you think you've seen it all ^^
Clever!
BRPtourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014