Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #5656
HeadTrauma
\_(ツ)_/

Oddometer: 1,260
I think that was meant to be tongue-in-cheek.
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #5657
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadTrauma View Post
I think that was meant to be tongue-in-cheek.
Oh.

I guess I am a little slow on the uptake.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #5658
Licky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake-83XL600R View Post
Picked up a set of 1995 CR500 USD forks with tripples, protaper bars, wheel/tire/axle/rotor. Just need a brake a caliper, line and bracket. I am thinking the master cylinder will work that i have but a guy in Phoenix has the full brake system for $80. Ordered a headlight with the signals built into the fairing to get things going too.

I am shopping around and trying to decide if the most basic of Trailtech computers is fine or if I should spend a bit more for the vapor. I would really like to have a tach but I dont think that alone is worth the difference for me.
well i finally got the stem machined by a buddy on a trade deal. the brake system is on it's way too via ebay. gonna go press the tripple back together tomorrow. new bearings, new dust seals, bought moose racing fork seal kit to rebuild while its apart, and picked up a Trailtech Vapor unit for cheap at a buddy's shop with the aluminum protector/holder. got a free headlight that may work too.
Licky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:26 AM   #5659
Dessert Storm
Dances With Drunks

Oddometer: 782
Valve Spring Length

Just starting to reassemble the cylinder head of my 86 RMG, after having the head refurbished. Measuring the valve springs, I found them to vary from both the spec and wear limits described by Clymer and in the Honda manual.

Quoted spec/wear limits are: inner spring 35.1/34.1mm, outer spring 36.0/35.0mm

The lengths of mine are: inner springs 33.2mm, outer springs 37.5mm (all springs measure these lengths +/- 0.2mm).

I can understand that the inner springs could be worn to below the wear limit, but am at a loss to see how the outer springs could be longer than the quoted original spec.

Can anyone shed any light on this, please? Maybe valve spring spec was changed during XL600 production? Or is this normal and I'm just being a numpty? (wouldn't be the first time)

Springs are readily available here in the UK, but I'd prefer not to have to spend the 55/$85-ish if I don't have to.

(Manti are dumplings not all too different from gyoza or pelmini) - Tourist.
Dessert Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #5660
randylahee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessert Storm View Post
Just starting to reassemble the cylinder head of my 86 RMG, after having the head refurbished. Measuring the valve springs, I found them to vary from both the spec and wear limits described by Clymer and in the Honda manual.

Quoted spec/wear limits are: inner spring 35.1/34.1mm, outer spring 36.0/35.0mm

The lengths of mine are: inner springs 33.2mm, outer springs 37.5mm (all springs measure these lengths +/- 0.2mm).

I can understand that the inner springs could be worn to below the wear limit, but am at a loss to see how the outer springs could be longer than the quoted original spec.

Can anyone shed any light on this, please? Maybe valve spring spec was changed during XL600 production? Or is this normal and I'm just being a numpty? (wouldn't be the first time)

Springs are readily available here in the UK, but I'd prefer not to have to spend the 55/$85-ish if I don't have to.

X2 Im rebuilding my motor and found my vavle spring measurements to be way different than the in manual
Old 04-08-2012, 10:42 AM   #5661
Carter Pewterschmidt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,048
New rear shock spring?

The back end of my XL is so soft I can push it down with one finger. I've set the preload as far as it will allow and it's not much better. Either my stock spring is clapped out, or that's just how soft they are. Whatever the reason I'd like to replace it cause it's far to squishy for my liking. Anyone make one of these? I can't seem to find one anywhere.
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #5662
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Oddometer: 393
Hagon in the UK make them
Billtr96sn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:52 PM   #5663
INTMD8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
The back end of my XL is so soft I can push it down with one finger

Hmm, wonder what's going on there. Mine seems -normal- as far as suspension stiffness. Just went on a ride with the GF on the back (combined weight 295lbs) and it still rode great.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:07 PM   #5664
Carter Pewterschmidt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by INTMD8 View Post
Hmm, wonder what's going on there. Mine seems -normal- as far as suspension stiffness. Just went on a ride with the GF on the back (combined weight 295lbs) and it still rode great.
I had the shock apart over winter and it seemed to have good dampening yet. Unless I just killed it over the last season. Maybe I'll just replace the whole shock.
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:31 AM   #5665
Licky
Adventurer

Welding on tripple clamps?

I got my USD forks mounted on my 83 XL600R. I dig it so far but there is much to do before it is ready to ride. I am struggling about whether to rewire the damn bike or use some of the existing goodies. One of the things I have considered is welding tabs onto my upper and lower tripples to accomdate some things.

1) tabs so that I can trim my orignial headlight/fairing since the oem headlight puts out plenty of light and I keep the original look of the bike somewhat

2) tabs so that I can mount my Vapor unit since my front end came with a Fat Bar setup and the risers are shaped as such that bolting to them for the vapor is not quite right

3) a bracket of some kind to mount the light pod for the dummy lights (neutral, signals, etc)

4) modding the steering stops on the clamp to accomodate the change since my lower clamp bumps my Clark tank a bit (bout quarter inch longer bumps)

I don't want to make extra work for the sake of coolness since I really want to get back on the bike asap.

My question is this...... is it safe to tig some tabs for the above mods? Does anyone have some pics or input on something they have done like what I have mentioned to save me from starting from scratch on the idea?

Licky screwed with this post 04-09-2012 at 04:38 AM
Old 04-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #5666
sh0rtlife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796
sure its safe..but id only do it on a perfectly flat steel surface clamped down to make sure nothing warps...but im a lil paranoid to warpage.....honestly anyone whos good with a tig should be able to do it without any fuss
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:04 PM   #5667
gorilla2891
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
1) tabs so that I can trim my orignial headlight/fairing since the oem headlight puts out plenty of light and I keep the original look of the bike somewhat

2) tabs so that I can mount my Vapor unit since my front end came with a Fat Bar setup and the risers are shaped as such that bolting to them for the vapor is not quite right

3) a bracket of some kind to mount the light pod for the dummy lights (neutral, signals, etc)

4) modding the steering stops on the clamp to accomodate the change since my lower clamp bumps my Clark tank a bit (bout quarter inch longer bumps)

I don't want to make extra work for the sake of coolness since I really want to get back on the bike asap.

My question is this...... is it safe to tig some tabs for the above mods? Does anyone have some pics or input on something they have done like what I have mentioned to save me from starting from scratch on the idea?[/QUOTE]

When I installed 98'XR suspension on mine I got a couple of collared lock washers from Lowes and quick steeled them to the XRL top clamp in the same locations. That way I can still use my xl stuff. Not the prettiest in that pic, but put together u cant even tell.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #5668
mpenalver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
proper flywheel puller size?

Does anyone know whether the flywheel puller should be M22 x 1.5 or M20 x 1.5?

I've found both advertised as the appropriate puller.

Thanks
mpenalver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #5669
Licky
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorilla2891 View Post
a little ghetto but it got the job done. I will see if I can figure something out in the same manner since I am a cheap SOB and always short on funds.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:14 PM   #5670
gorilla2891
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Good/bad thing is my headlight speedo got broken off in transport to SC. So now I can take the time to do it better.