Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2012, 07:38 AM   #5686
HeadTrauma
\_(ツ)_/

Oddometer: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chobro View Post
*yes, I did a search and came up with nada...

The bike is an '85.

Is the decompression lever properly adjusted when the shaft is just about to contact with the rocker at TDC? (the shaft that is attached to the mechanism at the right side of the head, it has a little cut away on the end which pushes the rocker/valve down) The book seemed fuzzy on this. Any help appreciated.

Thanks.
You're fine as long as it works when you need it and doesn't contact the rocker when the engine is running. There can actually be a good bit of clearance and it will still work.
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:48 AM   #5687
Chobro
spinning the wheel

Oddometer: 668
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadTrauma View Post
You're fine as long as it works when you need it and doesn't contact the rocker when the engine is running. There can actually be a good bit of clearance and it will still work.
I got it close and rotated the engine, the rocker did not come into contact, only when the decomp lever was pulled did it touch. Thanks!
Old 04-19-2012, 06:19 AM   #5688
BRPtourer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chobro View Post
I got it close and rotated the engine, the rocker did not come into contact, only when the decomp lever was pulled did it touch. Thanks!
Just going by memory, I recall reading there should be 3 mm slack in the cable at TDC. I took mine off a long time ago. Mine never seemed to work right, maybe I was adjusting it wrong?

Sorry, I thought you were asking about the auto decomp, I should read more carefully. I just adjust my decomp so there is a little slack in the cable with the bars turned both ways.

BRPtourer screwed with this post 04-19-2012 at 05:32 PM
BRPtourer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:38 PM   #5689
Chobro
spinning the wheel

Oddometer: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRPtourer View Post
I just adjust my decomp so there is a little slack in the cable with the bars turned both ways.
Ah, good point, I'll check it with bars left/right. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:01 PM   #5690
Carter Pewterschmidt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Fork oil type?

I'm looking to stiffen up the front end a touch so I'd like to change out the ATF I put in the forks last year with something a bit thicker. Any recommendations?
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:08 PM   #5691
BRPtourer
Gnarly Adventurer

Depending on the ATF you used I believe most is about 7.5 weight. Try 10 or 15 weight fork oil and experiment around with different oil levels, a couple cc either way often makes a noticeable difference.
I haven't messed with the forks on my XL600 in the 2 years I've had it because they seem to work great as is and don't leak, but I have quite a bit on other bikes. Here in the high desert daytime temps can often vary as much as 50 degrees through the day. On my FJ12 I felt the forks were a bit harsh when riding to work at 45-50 deg, then when riding home at 90-95+ deg they were a bit squishy. I found some Bel-Ray 10w30 multi-viscosity fork oil and was very happy with the results.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:33 AM   #5692
bdcorrigan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
We got them all together last night, finally!

bdcorrigan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:59 PM   #5693
BRPtourer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oh Geeez..... When I saw that first pic I thought, is that a KLR with a milk crate on it sitting with them nice bikes? After seeing the 3rd pic I feel better.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:51 AM   #5694
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Cool2 best enduro ever.

Hey, just got my '83 XL600. I have had a few enduros over the years, this one is the king. Sure glad I didn't get the 350 I was looking at. 600 might be heavy, but I am happy to fight the weight on the trails. 65 on the hwy smoothly is a way better deal.
12120 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:27 AM   #5695
BRPtourer
Gnarly Adventurer

weight

Actually, according to most of the tech articles I've read, both the 350 and 600 weigh about the same. Have fun!
Old 05-02-2012, 05:11 AM   #5696
kmequint
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Timing Chain

Has any one replaced there 83 XL600 original "style" timing sprockets and chain with the ones that fit a 90 XR600R. The reason I am asking is that my lower sprocket is in bad shape and it is the only part not available anymore. So that is why I am thinking about going with the newer equipment. I need to also mention is that I have the newer parts sitting on my bench, the only difference that I can tell is that they are not as wide as the original ones. Is that going to cause a problem with the guides and tensioner?

Thanks,
Mark

kmequint screwed with this post 05-02-2012 at 05:18 AM
kmequint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:42 PM   #5697
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
timing chain

I would think as long as the chain/sprockets are narrower then the guide/tensioner it would not be a problem. Assuming that they center on them. Not really had to fool with them much, so you might wanna get to more info first, but if it all looks good when installed, should be fine. READ the disclaimer
Old 05-03-2012, 05:23 AM   #5698
Dessert Storm
Dances With Drunks

Oddometer: 753
Hmmmmmmmmmm........

A bit spendy though: 105UK/$170US

More info (but not very much) here: http://www.bikermart.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=HLUTR

and here: http://www.bikermart.co.uk/proddetai...prod=SCRUDOM01

(Manti are dumplings not all too different from gyoza or pelmini) - Tourist.
Dessert Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:13 AM   #5699
kmequint
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12120 View Post
I would think as long as the chain/sprockets are narrower then the guide/tensioner it would not be a problem. Assuming that they center on them. Not really had to fool with them much, so you might wanna get to more info first, but if it all looks good when installed, should be fine. READ the disclaimer
That's kind of what I was thinking, wanted some else to verify.

Thanks
kmequint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:11 PM   #5700
jontow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
BRP food?

So, had my '85 for a few weeks, title showed up yesterday.. had it registered yesterday afternoon, didn't get a chance to ride it on the slab until this morning. Rode it over to the inspection shop before something quit working and it was running a bit funny on the way there and back. Float height on at least one of the carbs seems wrong, 'cause it feels like I can empty a carb too quick and it gets a bit stumbly after that. Jets probably are a bit gummed up, too. The bike was in storage for a while when I got it.

Anyway, got it home and was going to pull the carbs and all that to give 'em a quick cleaning and check the float height. Started by popping open the air box cover and, well, imagine my surprise. I'll let the image do a bit of the talking:

So, I have a series of questions:

* BRP food?
* Onboard survival kit?
* Doing some badass offroading in a dog food factory?

Guess it was at least a good surprise to find a UNI filter in there behind all the damned kibbles and bits.
jontow is offline   Reply With Quote