MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by jontow View Post
So, I have a series of questions:

* BRP food?
* Onboard survival kit?
* Doing some badass offroading in a dog food factory?

Did the PO leave the bike unattended with the seat off?

Does he have small children?

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #5702
jontow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
I sent the picture via MMS to the previous owner and he said he had a packrat: found the same thing packing his toolbox full when he moved last time
jontow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #5703
HeadTrauma
\_(ツ)_/

Oddometer: 1,260
At least all you found was big pieces of loose kibble. I've had to deal with leaves, rocks, dirt clods, feathers, fur, grass, dog/horse/cow turds, pine needles, sticks, and rags thanks to mice and rats...and they usually blow a big hole in the air filter while they're at it. I have to mouse-proof EVERYTHING.
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:28 PM   #5704
jontow
Adventurer

Guess I should show the rest of my BRP, and do a quick introduction.

I'd been looking for a big thumper to turn into a commuter bike. I've got a 97 yamaha TW200 that I've been riding the crap out of, but I just don't like feeling like I'm wringing the poor bike's neck going down the road at 55mph. In comes my search for a bigger bike that wouldn't work so hard to do 55mph. I originally aimed for a DR650, second choice being an XR650L, and third being a KLR650. DR650s are rare in these parts, and expensive when you find them. XL600Rs are almost nonexistant, and XR650Ls seem to be in the same category as DR650s: expensive/rare. You can get a KLR650 pretty easily, and for a relatively small price, but .. well.. they're a KLR650. I wanted something newer, but am no stranger to old vehicles, and am not afraid of digging in and fixing what's broken.

One day I was doing my regular craigslist dig and ran across an ad for an 85 XL600R for cheap, and it wasn't terribly far away. I considered it, and sat on the idea for a night or two, then on a whim decided to call on it. Guy still had it, but said someone was supposed to be coming to pick it up early in the day. He also said if the dude doesn't show, its mine if I show up with cash. Guess what sucker didn't show, and guess what sucker did? He even met me halfway, and we backed the trucks up tailgate to tailgate... :

The good: it starts somewhat easily, runs well, and has a clarke oversized tank.. and it doesn't seem to smoke at startup or otherwise. It also had a new chain/sprocket set on it (chain doesn't appear to be an O-ring chain, though?)

The bad: It quit easily (later solved by putting a bit of slack in one of the exhaust valves), has been not only laid down a time or two, but obviously *slid down the road*. The visual evidence is clear: there are a lot of scraped up parts that I'll slowly be replacing; chain slider is all but nonexistant, needs tires, a bit ugly/faded, a number of things cobbled together (mirrors welded, cables routed poorly, etc, and it had about 2L too much oil in it

Didn't take long to sort out the most major issues. Valve adjustment, fresh gas, fresh oil/filter, new brake light switch, bulbs that were blown, etc.

Here it is out back on one of the trails I was cutting to get some firewood out:

Looking forward to some fresh tires/tubes, new mirrors, and a whole lot of miles with a big fat grin on my face.

Now, for a quick question:

Ignition switch on the bike is a bit flaky, it has a very positive on/off action, but it seems like the contacts are in poor shape inside it, because if you jiggle the key (or, say, it vibrates while riding like a big single would never do...) it'll kill power to the CDI. Is there a known fix for this other than "buy a new one" or "install a toggle switch"? FSM doesn't seem to have details on how to 'rebuild' it.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:54 AM   #5705
BRPtourer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
mirrors and ign

Get a pair of Ken Sean dual sport mirrors. I have them on mine and they give good view on the street and fold down out of harms way when on the trail. Got them at my local bike shop for about $14 each, well worth it.
My '85 was missing the ignition switch when I bought it and I ran it for a while using a jumper wire for the lighting circuit and using the kill switch to shut off the engine. The XL's are wired a bit differently than most bikes as in the switch is open to run the bike and closes to ground a circuit to shut it off. The bike will start and run fine with the switch unhooked, you just don't have any lights. I searched for quite a while trying to find a reasonably priced unit for mine. The electrical half of the switch is probably all you need and are available online for a reasonable cost (under $30). I needed the whole assembly with keys and couldn't find one for under $90 plus shipping from overseas. After looking at wiring diagrams, and lots of pictures I decided to try one for an older XL250 that was only like $29 new. It fit and and has worked perfectly for a couple years now.
BRPtourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #5706
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Oddometer: 393
There is a company in the UK www.wemoto.com that stocks ignition switches with keys for these at very reasonable prices. If they wont ship to the states let me know and we can have them shipped to me and I will forward them to you
Billtr96sn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:49 AM   #5707
quikhd
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake-83XL600R View Post
I got my USD forks mounted on my 83 XL600R. I dig it so far but there is much to do before it is ready to ride. I am struggling about whether to rewire the damn bike or use some of the existing goodies. One of the things I have considered is welding tabs onto my upper and lower tripples to accomdate some things.

1) tabs so that I can trim my orignial headlight/fairing since the oem headlight puts out plenty of light and I keep the original look of the bike somewhat

2) tabs so that I can mount my Vapor unit since my front end came with a Fat Bar setup and the risers are shaped as such that bolting to them for the vapor is not quite right

3) a bracket of some kind to mount the light pod for the dummy lights (neutral, signals, etc)

4) modding the steering stops on the clamp to accomodate the change since my lower clamp bumps my Clark tank a bit (bout quarter inch longer bumps)

I don't want to make extra work for the sake of coolness since I really want to get back on the bike asap.

My question is this...... is it safe to tig some tabs for the above mods? Does anyone have some pics or input on something they have done like what I have mentioned to save me from starting from scratch on the idea?
Here is a picture of my 87 XL600R that I am undergoing a complete resto and upgrade! I put the Vapor unit on like this see what you think.

http://quikhd.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/XL600R
quikhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:05 AM   #5708
jontow
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikhd View Post
Here is a picture of my 87 XL600R that I am undergoing a complete resto and upgrade! I put the Vapor unit on like this see what you think.

http://quikhd.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/XL600R
I've got one of these on my TW200 and am aiming to put one on the XL as well. Wondering whether you bought a kit or individual parts, and what you ended up doing for the speedometer sensor mount + magnet? Do the included rotor replacement magnetic bolts fit without modification?
Old 05-07-2012, 12:17 PM   #5709
Mopowa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
....Ignition switch on the bike is a bit flaky, it has a very positive on/off action, but it seems like the contacts are in poor shape inside it, because if you jiggle the key (or, say, it vibrates while riding like a big single would never do...) it'll kill power to the CDI. Is there a known fix for this other than "buy a new one" or "install a toggle switch"? FSM doesn't seem to have details on how to 'rebuild' it.
First of all, congratulations on your find! I remember picking up my craigslist find like it was yesterday. I see you have the FSM already, but on this page, http://www.hondaxl.it/manuali.htm is the "Honda Common Service manual". This has a lot of great information like packing your oil seals with grease before installing and other little known gems.

As for your ignition switch, it's not that hard to disassemble. There is a link floating around on the exact disassembly process, but I can't find it right now. After you get it off the bike, the trick is positioning the key between "On" and "Off" before removing the bottom cover to expose the contacts. Maybe someone else has the link to the switch disassembly.
It sounds like you have the right amount of mechanical aptitude that it takes to own and maintain one of these bikes, so it should be no big deal for you. I took mine apart for a clean and lube 2 years ago and after 2 yrs of daily commuting, it's still working like new. Keep us posted on your progress, we love pics!
Old 05-07-2012, 12:39 PM   #5710
jontow
Adventurer

Just out of curiousity: is your daily commute all paved, and what tires are you running / what kind of life are you getting out of them?

I just dropped some cash on a pair of D606s to replace the worn out shoes the bike came with; but it's a bit unclear on what I should expect for a baseline mileage before they're worn out. I didn't want to go full street tires, because I don't think I'm done playing in the dirt with the bike at this point. It's just too much fun
Old 05-08-2012, 06:41 AM   #5711
quikhd
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
I've got one of these on my TW200 and am aiming to put one on the XL as well. Wondering whether you bought a kit or individual parts, and what you ended up doing for the speedometer sensor mount + magnet? Do the included rotor replacement magnetic bolts fit without modification?

I just bought the Vapor kit for an XR600 which honestly seem like a pretty universal kit. The mount is a deal I fabbbed up out of a bracket that was originally for a electric brake box. Basically I bent it twice more than the original bends it had and drilled 2 holes and wallah......the Vapor now sits up about an inch off of the original plastic piece the OEM speedo mounted to. I was actually able to retain the 2 original rubber iso mounting locations that the original speedo used so the vapor is rubber Isolated as well.

I have not gotten to the complete install yet of the rotor mag's and such. I can keep ya posted tho!
quikhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:24 AM   #5712
jontow
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikhd View Post
I have not gotten to the complete install yet of the rotor mag's and such. I can keep ya posted tho!

Please do.. my speedometer starts going all wonky above 45mph and the odometer/trip meter stop working at that point as well. I've been commuting on the bike for a couple days, and with 40-50mile ride per day, I've only clocked 30miles

Sure does make it look like I get crap mileage! Trailtech, here I come for another order.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #5713
Mopowa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Quote:
Just out of curiousity: is your daily commute all paved, and what tires are you running / what kind of life are you getting out of them?

I just dropped some cash on a pair of D606s to replace the worn out shoes the bike came with; but it's a bit unclear on what I should expect for a baseline mileage before they're worn out. I didn't want to go full street tires, because I don't think I'm done playing in the dirt with the bike at this point. It's just too much fun
I'm running Bridgestone Trailwings. TW21 up front and TW18 on the rear. My commute is all paved, about 45mph average speed and 12 miles roundtrip. I've got about 3500 miles on them now and the front is holding up fine, the rear probably has 1000 miles left on it. If this bike didn't beg to be wheelied so much, I think the rear wouldn't be as worn down as it is.
I'm happy with these tires. They are a 80/20 tire, which is perfect for me, but I don't think they are making them anymore. I'm thinking about going with something a bit more street friendly on the rear next time, just to see if I get more life out of it. Mainly because I've always ridden wheelies and always will, so I have to pay the price in tire wear.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #5714
tractor4play
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
xr 650r forks

before i start i would like to wish jontow goodluck with his new xl.
well i have been getting mixed feedback from thumpertalk and 4strokes forums etc.i am very interested in swapping the frontend from my xl600 to xr650R forks and triples.i have been told its a straight swap.i know xr600r will swap in without probs but what do i need to do if i have xr650r forks and triples.are the stems the same or do i need to swap stems and buy different bearings? i know zombie done this a while back but he didnt use 650r items.thanks in advance for any input.
tractor4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #5715
Carter Pewterschmidt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,002
XR650R fork swap

I've seen a set of XR650R forks on a old XL last summer. It's a nice set of forks, adjustable, and quite thick at 46mm. Common sense says that you'll at least need the upper and lower XR650R triples considering the diameter of the tubes, but I don't know what else. That bike had no speedo or tach or anything else mounted up front except a custom square headlight set up with aftermarket light mounts. I don't think you can adapt much of the XL front end parts to work with those triples, at least not easily.
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote