Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2012, 06:28 AM   #5791
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter View Post
There an 86 XL600 with 8500 miles around where i am for 1200 bucks. Cheaper then buying a krl. Seem to look good in the pictures. No real rust . seem to be all there. What should i look for in these bikes? Is the rear shock rebuild-able? What goes wrong with them? Compared to the KLR 650 is it almost as good ? I guess if you want racks , saddle bags you have to get them wielded up. I guess MPG is around 50?
There are some parts that are discontinued from Honda, such as the external oil lines at the front of the engine. Listen for excessive noise around the cylinder head, since that can indicate a worn out cam or cam chain; both fairly expensive to repair. If it starts and runs well, even a fixer-upper is worth having. You should also look closely at all of the frame welds for cracks. They have been known to break under heavy jumping. I don't know about shock rebuilding. Mine was so bullet proof I never even messed with anything but preload.

In my opinion, the XL is better for solo riding and off road than the KLR. If you plan to ride 100's of miles 2-up, the KLR is the heavier highway bike. The KLR has more direct fit aftermarket racks available, but its pretty easy to adapt an Altrider rack for the BMW F800 or something.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:12 AM   #5792
scrubby81
Auto Builder

Oddometer: 138
join the club

I been looking for rear racks and bags for months with no avail so I am making my own sets I will have plans up in a few days start building in a week if any one would like a set made after seeing them let me know I do do custom fab work every day I just didnt want to mess with it but o well here I go...

Thanks Scrubby
scrubby81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #5793
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Oddometer: 393
Scrubby I still have the Honda rear rack from mine(and a front rack/headlamp guard), would you like pics, measurements etc?
Old 06-11-2012, 02:43 PM   #5794
scrubby81
Auto Builder

Please

Yes please would love some pics of the mount on it I was going to mount it under the seat and to the turn signal mounts but I would rather do the mount the factory way as not to stress anything Thank you in advance B.T.W. if its easer to e-mail me pics as I'm not sure my self to load them here message me I will mail you my e-mail

Thanks Scrubby
Old 06-11-2012, 06:35 PM   #5795
kmequint
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubby81 View Post
I been looking for rear racks and bags for months with no avail so I am making my own sets I will have plans up in a few days start building in a week if any one would like a set made after seeing them let me know I do do custom fab work every day I just didnt want to mess with it but o well here I go...
kmequint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #5796
quikhd
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
quickhd - I agree; looks real clean it white. The coated header looks great too. I'm thinking of doing the same with my pipe.
Thanks Guys, I went round and round with myself on keeping it stock or make it unique, I rolled the dice and like it but still wonder if I should have gone stock? Oh well! Love the bike! Lots of fun, I ride a 2010 roadglide and honestly don't miss it at all when riding this, I think it is the occasional wheelie that keeps me from thinking about the glide.

Anyways thanks for the kind words!

The pipe is ceramic coated inside and out was reasonable at like 175.00 and it makes the system look new. The rest of the bike, motor cases, head, cyl are powder coated.
quikhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:52 PM   #5797
randylahee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63

Old 06-13-2012, 03:20 AM   #5798
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Rear and Front rack

Scrubby.

Here are pics of the genuine Honda rear rack with a tape measure held near it, if you need precise measurements let me know. Also I have some pics of the front rack/headlamp stone guard which I dont think is Honda but is bloody useful.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:31 AM   #5799
lookfar
from the land of OZ

Oddometer: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billtr96sn View Post
Scrubby.

Here are pics of the genuine Honda rear rack with a tape measure held near it, if you need precise measurements let me know. Also I have some pics of the front rack/headlamp stone guard which I dont think is Honda but is bloody useful.

Looks like it is from a XL600LM or RMG..might not fit a XL600R, depending on the rear frame differences, if any.
1985 XL250R
1985 XL600R 1988 XR600
lookfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:46 AM   #5800
Carter Pewterschmidt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by quikhd View Post
Thought I would try to show off my recently restored 1987 XL600R.

Nice looking bike. I like the color scheme. The white with the bits of black and silver look nice together.
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:48 AM   #5801
Carter Pewterschmidt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 963
Anyone have a header for sale?

I'm looking for a header that doesn't have the heat shield threads stripped out. If anyone has one in decent shape please let me know.
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #5802
Ovep
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Anyone knows??

Hello, i have bought my first XL 600R 1986. ;)
But i have a problem i wonder if some of you in here can answer?
The bike shakes violently under 3000Rpms and have little power under that is this normal or could it just be the jetting of the carbs??
I have cleaned the carbs but no luck :(
the main jets are 108 and 105 and the other is 65.

Help Please ;)
Ovep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #5803
randylahee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
I'm looking for a header that doesn't have the heat shield threads stripped out. If anyone has one in decent shape please let me know.
grind it off and weld a nut to it
Old 06-13-2012, 11:26 PM   #5804
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovep View Post
Hello, i have bought my first XL 600R 1986. ;)
But i have a problem i wonder if some of you in here can answer?
The bike shakes violently under 3000Rpms and have little power under that is this normal or could it just be the jetting of the carbs??
I have cleaned the carbs but no luck :(
the main jets are 108 and 105 and the other is 65.

Help Please ;)
Silly question, but are you in a low enough gear?
Old 06-14-2012, 12:16 AM   #5805
scrubby81
Auto Builder

thanks for the pic

thank you lookfar very much I got the pics and rough mesure ments is all i need I can check the bike for exact specs needed I'm starting a rough build of it this weekend with the kids going to use either billet all. or maby 1in tube havent decided you going a bit bigger on rack I know that but head light guard I'm thinking I'll build one of them too now seeing yours gives me an idea for more tools storage for gear on bike thanks again

Thanks Scrubby