Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 04:47 AM   #6106
Homerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Probably easier to replace the upper and lower hoses with a single stainless braided line. Will improve braking power and feel.
Homerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 12:56 PM   #6107
cam14
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Aftermarket header and muffler?

Im getting some engine work done to my 85 XL6, big fin head, cam, and other stuff. I still have the stock header and muffler. The stock muffler is not has heavy as it looks (to me anyway). Is there a recommend aftermarket header and muffler? Does the XROnly version have a good fit with light weight and improved performance?

Also related, what carb jet changed are recommed with aftermarket header and muffler?

TIA
cam14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:55 PM   #6108
GSBruce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerb View Post
Probably easier to replace the upper and lower hoses with a single stainless braided line. Will improve braking power and feel.
Homer, replacing the all of the brake lines from master cylinder to caliper with a single stainless braided line with banjo bolts on each end has been suggested to me - is that feasible? I believe I could route and mount it safely.

I bought the last remaining upper hose today. Here are photos of the top and bottom of the lower hose. Could this hose be duplicated? Those fittings on each end look unique to me, but I know very little about this sort of thing.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:14 AM   #6109
JStory
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam14 View Post
Im getting some engine work done to my 85 XL6, big fin head, cam, and other stuff.
I'd like a big-fin head on my XL600 as well. I'm curious to see how the bolt on cover from the old de-comp will be dealt with in the course of the fin install.

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr Samuel Johnson.
JStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:51 AM   #6110
Homerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Yeah Bruce, a braided line with banjo fittings each end will work fine. I put one on my XL350R which has the same front brake setup as the 600, and the improvement was amazing. It was easier to bleed the front brake line too without the twists and turns of the original line.
Just make sure the brake line is long enough, a bit too long is better than too short.
Homerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:10 AM   #6111
Dessert Storm
Dances With Drunks

Oddometer: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparmanpete View Post

Bought my '86 RMG (I'm in UK) as a fixer-upper,and found head cracked in exactly the same place. Couldn't find a decent used head anywhere, so had it welded, new seats installed and the sparkplug hole tapped for a Timesert for 120 - about $190US. So far, it's been fine but always have the nagging thought that I don't know why it failed. There is good oil pressure and supply of oil to the head, so maybe the PO let it run low on oil or didn't change the oil for decades!

(Manti are dumplings not all too different from gyoza or pelmini) - Tourist.
Dessert Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:15 AM   #6112
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookfar View Post
We pass on the right all the time..perfectly normal here

I meant going off the road completely to pass people, kick up a big ole dust cloud in their slow faces. I like how fast it accelerates, never thought a 4 stroke single cylinder could pull so hard til I git to my 600

RIDE RED!
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:37 AM   #6113
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracus124 View Post
I meant going off the road completely to pass people, kick up a big ole dust cloud in their slow faces. I like how fast it accelerates, never thought a 4 stroke single cylinder could pull so hard til I git to my 600
I was following a big Honda thunmper a while back who was doing this. He would pull off the highway, across the grass/dirt shoulder, and get onto the old highway that was barely visible in the weeds. He would cruise along the old highway, jumping the sections of missing road, potholes, and bushes, then come back on the highway for a while. He did this for about 5 miles, never loosing his place in traffic in front of me (flowing at about 55-60 mph). No Highway Patrol witnessed his shinanigans, so he was good to go. Fun to watch, but even more fun to ride I imagine.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:44 PM   #6114
bdcorrigan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
Ricky wiring question

The red plug goes to the plug on the bike, I have that, and the green wire goes to ground along with the black wire near the sprocket. My question is where does the extra black wire with the red stripe go? and would this cause me to get shocked when I touch any medal part on the bike (like I am grabbing onto the the coil wire)
bdcorrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:39 PM   #6115
bdcorrigan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcorrigan View Post
The red plug goes to the plug on the bike, I have that, and the green wire goes to ground along with the black wire near the sprocket. My question is where does the extra black wire with the red stripe go? and would this cause me to get shocked when I touch any medal part on the bike (like I am grabbing onto the the coil wire)
Nevermind got it...It has a CDI off another bike(bipassing the original CDI) now I have to figure out where the CDI came off of?
bdcorrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:30 PM   #6116
ohtechwiz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Talking This is a long thread ...

I am new to the board and have a thread going for my 83 XL600R rebuild (link below). This XL600 thread is full of great information. I have been reading through for a couple of weeks and still have not made it through all of it. Thanks to all of you for sharing your knowledge. I just got an 82 XL500R running as well as a converted 84 xr200r. I will be selling both of them shortly to help pay for this rebuild.

If anyone has the following parts, I would be interested:

Rear Fender
Tail light
Tail Light and License plate bracket
Any kind of rear rack

Suggestions for mods are welcome!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=xl600r (includes pics)
ohtechwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:27 PM   #6117
GSBruce
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerb View Post
Yeah Bruce, a braided line with banjo fittings each end will work fine. I put one on my XL350R which has the same front brake setup as the 600, and the improvement was amazing. It was easier to bleed the front brake line too without the twists and turns of the original line.
Just make sure the brake line is long enough, a bit too long is better than too short.
Homer, could you please post a photo or two of your XL350R brake line? The only thing I could figure out is to try to get a custom line made and mount it like the brake line on a modern XR650L. I'd sure like to see how you've routed and mounted yours.

Further research indicates the fittings on the lower hose are single pieces and the lower hose cannot be rebuilt or duplicated - true unobtanium.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #6118
terrordaktyl rexxx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
What is the port on the bottom of the muffler at the back for, points down, near tip, plate with two bolts.

Mine is missing just curious.
terrordaktyl rexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:24 PM   #6119
lookfar
from the land of OZ

Oddometer: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrordaktyl rexxx View Post
What is the port on the bottom of the muffler at the back for, points down, near tip, plate with two bolts.

Mine is missing just curious.
Should have a cover on it. The port is to clean out the carbon from the spark arrester that is built into the muffler.
To clean out, remove cover, place a rag or similar over the exhaust outlet, rev engine.

Prolly run a bit quieter with a cover on it as well.

1985 XL250R
1985 XL600R 1988 XR600
lookfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:47 PM   #6120
GSBruce
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookfar View Post
Should have a cover on it. The port is to clean out the carbon from the spark arrester that is built into the muffler.
To clean out, remove cover, place a rag or similar over the exhaust outlet, rev engine.

Prolly run a bit quieter with a cover on it as well.

Does this really accomplish anything? I've never done it to my bike in 29 years and 8600 miles. Please let me know before Sunday morning as I live in a really quiet neighborhood, have the only two bikes in my neighborhood, and only like about one of my neighbors. I want to get it done early before it gets too hot outside to work.