Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #6166
beardothebeardo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardothebeardo View Post
What is the difference between Ricky and Rick's stator? These guys the same? If not, which is better?
Got one reply. Anyone else?
beardothebeardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:04 PM   #6167
GSBruce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
KRS - nice bike. Please post up a right side photo. Maybe I should trailer mine up to Austin for the "Texas XL600R Rally".
Old 10-07-2012, 01:30 AM   #6168
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBruce View Post
If you're dumping your bike a lot, there's something amiss - try the low pressure technique, maybe the bikes you've been riding before have a little different geometry, etc. I should have said "Learn to ride YOUR XL600R." I also have a BMW R1150GS and it is no joy to ride in deep sand, but it can be done.

Sorry to have been brusque. I'm 58 and been riding dirt and street for 30+ years; there's always something to learn every time you ride.

If I rode with you, I'm sure you would give me a dust bath and then I would be looking for signs so I could hopefully catch up with you. I fell a lot when learning - good suit of armor protected me, but since I learned, my conservative style and having learned from a really good dirt rider has kept falls to a minumum. I have decided to stay off trails - just jeep paths or better for me. I cannot afford the to fall at my age - a fall could easily leave me unable to ride anything at all. When you're young, you can recover to fight another day.

I'm just lucky that I can still stomp my original owner XL600R to life. I know the day will come years down the road when I cannot start it, and that will be a sad day for me.

So apologies if you need one, but we all can ride better, and better, until we're as good as Jimmy Lewis at his prime.
No need to apologize man. I crash alot because I ride beyond my comfort level most of the time. That's how I have fun, and it's one of the ways I learn. I can't get a street bike, I'll kill myself. You ride hard enough, you're bound to fall. When I was turning and 'laid the bike down', I couldn't tell you why I went down, other than I was going too slow and didn't read the terrain right. It happened so quick, I stood up looking my running pig on the ground asking myself "How the fuck did that happen?" I know I can always ride better, I can ride fast, but I'm no racer, not enough endurance not even close lol

Ghost Mutant

Your seat is on its way, It's not in a box, Just a seat with your addressed taped to it. I couldnt find a box anywhere that would fit those weirdo dimensions without being too big, and I bale about two tons of cardboard a night

Good Idea on the lever! I think I'm going that route. It never got cold enough to use the choke on my 250 last year, So I might just put it there instead. My 600 starts first kick always, unless I crash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.

RFVC600R screwed with this post 10-07-2012 at 01:41 AM
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:37 AM   #6169
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Quote:
Got one reply. Anyone else?
Ricky Stator. Everyone uses it, No one complains Someone back me up here!

On a side note, I've been paying attention to the sound my bike lately, I don't know if its just me, but I love the deep sound coming out the exhaust when the second carby opens up Never had a bike with such unique sound on a stock pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by krs311 View Post
Sorry about that. That was my first post on here and I guess I didnt do it right. But that is the 1983 XL 600 I just got that I was talking about. I spent everything I had to get the bike so it will be about 2 weeks until I can get it 100% legal with the inspection and everything. Its hard to walk by it everyday and not be able to take it out but its worth the wait. It will need new tires to pass and I want to get a good pair so that is going to cost a little bit. The guy I got it from had pure street tires on it (the front is a Harley Davidson tire) but I am going to get a pair that are 60/40 street/dirt. He got it from got as much enjoyment from maintaining the bike as he did riding it so it really is in great mechanical shape.
You got a deal! I paid $1500 and its uglier than sin. I mainly paid for the engine rebuilt from top to bottom. Only 3K on the new engine when I got it. I'm going to make this bike last another 29 years! I hear the rack I never use is worth some money

Quote:

RFVC600R screwed with this post 10-07-2012 at 01:50 AM
Old 10-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #6170
beardothebeardo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracus124 View Post
Ricky Stator. Everyone uses it, No one complains Someone back me up here!
I did some googling, and that's why I asked the question.

From what I have read, it seems Ricky has poor quality (ie bad out of the box) but excellent customer service.

And Rick's has better quality, but customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

I'm not trying to bust your balls. I'm trying to side step problems.

The bike I just bought, had it's stator replace by the PO with a used unit off ebay. How long is that 'new' one going to last, really?

So, a stator is on the list, no matter what.

On a side note, the tensioner tool is still avaliable, which I'm pretty happy about. $35 is worth it to me to keep my knuckles together...
beardothebeardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #6171
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,231
I support Ricky Stator wholeheartedly. My only complaint is that they don't make a stator for my '87 Yamaha XT600!
I had a grommet on one of them that was too small and it leaked oil. They were on the way to fixing it and had a new one sent with the larger grommet. That's the only problem. Great stators, lifetime guarantee, never pay for another stator again once you buy one of theirs. I like that. You can make your own decision.

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:34 AM   #6172
lookfar
from the land of OZ

Oddometer: 583
+1 more for Ricky Stator...I did a fair bit of research before I went with a Ricky, as customer service is paramount when you are on the other side of the globe from the manufacturer.

Been in for a couple of years now, no leaks and runs great..

My $0.02
1985 XL250R
1985 XL600R 1988 XR600
lookfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #6173
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Quote:
I did some googling, and that's why I asked the question.

From what I have read, it seems Ricky has poor quality (ie bad out of the box) but excellent customer service.

And Rick's has better quality, but customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

The bike I just bought, had it's stator replace by the PO with a used unit off ebay. How long is that 'new' one going to last, really?

So, a stator is on the list, no matter what.

No worries, my balls aren't anywhere close to being busted
On a side note, the tensioner tool is still avaliable, which I'm pretty happy about. $35 is worth it to me to keep my knuckles together...
What do you mean "bad out the box?" I fix computers as a hobby and it is somewhat normal for name brand products to come to my door dead on arrival. I had a $200 ASUS motherboard come in not working. No big deal, send it back and got one a couple days later. That computer was built two years ago. Sold it two months ago about 12,000 hours total run time with no problems. Just because a product somtimes is "bad out the box" doesn't hinder long term usefullness in my experience. And the Honda stator is crap from the factory, ask anybody around here.
Quote:
My balls are unbustable. No time in this life to get butthurt lol

Quote:

RFVC600R screwed with this post 10-09-2012 at 05:12 AM
Old 10-10-2012, 08:24 PM   #6174
terrordaktyl rexxx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Hey y'all.

Ok so I am looking to replace bars here at some point and was wondering what kind of rise is stock vs. what the stock cabling will accommodate.

What bars have folks used the fit?

Also, handgaurds; looking to get crash proof, wondering what gaurds fit around all this stock switchery and all.
terrordaktyl rexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:05 PM   #6175
Carter Pewterschmidt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracus124 View Post
my balls are unbustable.
ha!
Carter Pewterschmidt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:43 AM   #6176
Stretchah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Newbie with Carb Questions

Hi Guys, been browsing for a while and not found the answers I'm looking for. Just picked up an 84 XL600 my first thumper and am looking to use it 70/30 street/dirt. downloaded the manual as the carbs are leaking. It's a PD03 twin carb with an FMF exhaust and what seem to be XR600 fenders, I'll post a pick when it's back together:)

it looks like it may just be from the join pipe between the 2 carbs that's leaking, but, thought I may as well give them a good lookover and clean while they're out. Current Jet sizes are Primary main 125, slow Jet 65, Secondary main 110, from what I read in the manual the secondary should be a 112 and Primary main a 120 for an 84. I'm thinking that it would be worthwhile to get a jet kit as it's got the FMF pipe and saw the Moose racing stage 2 on Bike bandit, do you think it would be a good upgrade and does anyone know if the kit includes all the jets for the 2 carbs? Also would it be beneficial to open up the airbox too, currently has the snorkel intact.

I also want to replace all the gaskets, but, am not sure which to get. The websites show gasket kits for 84 XL600's carbs as PH66A and PH66AC, but, I've had a look at my carbs and the serial reads PH68BBBWH, so, not sure if they'll fit, also the manual doesn't mention anything about PH68 in the spec...Also if the pH66 gaskets won't fit does anyone know what year XL was fitted with PH68 carbs so I can try and get the right gaskets...Just wondering if you can shed some light on this

Cheers

Stretchah screwed with this post 10-12-2012 at 08:09 AM
Stretchah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:21 AM   #6177
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

I just noticed that every cluster is broken in the same spot as my bike.

+1 On a lot of parts. Some vicious bid wars going on too lol. payday in a couple days

Quote:
Old 10-14-2012, 06:30 AM   #6178
Schrauberklaus
***ifyer

Oddometer: 356
Hi

I made a Picture Walk through of my PD03 Carbs a few years ago in german .

I run it through goggle translator .
Translation is not perfect but i guess it will help to understand how this carbs work .

You can download it at http://wtrns.fr/cgdSvqiZ50VLHyl
Honda XR 280 R Sumo 04 , Honda XR 250 Baja 98
Yamaha Speed MX ( 2 Stroke ) 01 ,CRF250L 13
Schrauberklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:21 PM   #6179
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Went on a ride to Joshua Tree National park to meet some friends and rode on some open trails. Figured I was on a XL600R and the ride wasn't worth a report. That dude riding the raptor is a pussy btw. Make fun of my gearless friends, but not my torn seat.

Quote:

RFVC600R screwed with this post 10-14-2012 at 07:32 PM
Old 10-14-2012, 09:33 PM   #6180
krs311
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBruce View Post
KRS - nice bike. Please post up a right side photo. Maybe I should trailer mine up to Austin for the "Texas XL600R Rally".

here are a few more pics that i took yesterday.