ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 01:12 AM   #6181
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!
 
RFVC600R's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: SAND LAND
Oddometer: 2,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparmanpete View Post
Looks like you had a good time!
If my friends can keep up I'd have more fun. I stop every ten minutes to wait for them The guy on the raptor is scared of his quad, and the yellow one is only a 300.
__________________
'83 Honda XL600R 618cc 11:1 Wiseco, XR's Only Exhaust, big tube header, 6 Sigma stage 3 carb mods

RIDE RED!
RFVC600R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #6182
Stretchah
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: London
Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrauberklaus View Post
Hi

I made a Picture Walk through of my PD03 Carbs a few years ago in german .

I run it through goggle translator .
Translation is not perfect but i guess it will help to understand how this carbs work .

You can download it at http://wtrns.fr/cgdSvqiZ50VLHyl

Cheers for the help Guys, read through the carb part from 400 too, much appreciated, now to order some parts and get her back on the road :)
Stretchah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:21 AM   #6183
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!
 
RFVC600R's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: SAND LAND
Oddometer: 2,058
Man I started my bike first time "cold" about 60 Fahrenheit ambient temp. this morning and it smoked like no other!! Went on a ride down the highway and back and no more smoke. Tried googling the problem and can't find anything specific to me. This is the first time this has ever happened except when I over oiled my air filter but that smoke was different. Clouds of white smoke pouring out now I just bought this bike two months ago

What gives? I just went on a ride yesterday and I start it up to run the bank and this happens. excellent compression, valve clearances in spec someone school me I'm just a noob Engine rebuilt 4k miles ago by "professionals" with paperwork from PO to prove it.
__________________
'83 Honda XL600R 618cc 11:1 Wiseco, XR's Only Exhaust, big tube header, 6 Sigma stage 3 carb mods

RIDE RED!

RFVC600R screwed with this post 10-15-2012 at 09:28 AM
RFVC600R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:32 AM   #6184
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond
 
MentalGuru's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Mental Ward
Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracus124 View Post
Man I started my bike first time "cold" about 60 Fahrenheit ambient temp. this morning and it smoked like no other!! Went on a ride down the highway and back and no more smoke. Tried googling the problem and can't find anything specific to me. This is the first time this has ever happened except when I over oiled my air filter but that smoke was different. Clouds of white smoke pouring out now I just bought this bike two months ago

What gives? I just went on a ride yesterday and I start it up to run the bank and this happens. excellent compression, valve clearances in spec someone school me I'm just a noob Engine rebuilt 4k miles ago by "professionals" with paperwork from PO to prove it.

It's called steam.

Burning gas creates water in the form of steam.
MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:40 AM   #6185
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!
 
RFVC600R's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: SAND LAND
Oddometer: 2,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post
It's called steam.

Burning gas creates water in the form of steam.
What? please explain. That don't make any sense. And if you're saying moisture got in there somehow, I live in the desert, there is NO humidity lol
__________________
'83 Honda XL600R 618cc 11:1 Wiseco, XR's Only Exhaust, big tube header, 6 Sigma stage 3 carb mods

RIDE RED!
RFVC600R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:06 PM   #6186
JimRidesThis
Local celebrity
 
JimRidesThis's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Cumbria, UK
Oddometer: 227
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by krs311 View Post
Oh yeah! Nice one.
__________________
JimRidesThis

1995 R1100GS aka "Herr Flick"
1985 XL600R aka "Tamworth"
JimRidesThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:14 PM   #6187
JimRidesThis
Local celebrity
 
JimRidesThis's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Cumbria, UK
Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracus124 View Post
Man I started my bike first time "cold" about 60 Fahrenheit ambient temp. this morning and it smoked like no other!! Went on a ride down the highway and back and no more smoke. Tried googling the problem and can't find anything specific to me. This is the first time this has ever happened except when I over oiled my air filter but that smoke was different. Clouds of white smoke pouring out now I just bought this bike two months ago

What gives? I just went on a ride yesterday and I start it up to run the bank and this happens. excellent compression, valve clearances in spec someone school me I'm just a noob Engine rebuilt 4k miles ago by "professionals" with paperwork from PO to prove it.
Sounds like 'tired' or hardened valve stem oil seals. When the engine's not running a little oil can seep between the seal and valve stem into the inlet and exhaust ports. That'd give you white smoke on start up that would burn off fairly quickly exactly as you're describing (it will smell like burning oil too). But, from your post, it sounds like your engine's been rebuilt by pro's. How much detail's on the paperwork? Did they replace the valve stem oil seals?
__________________
JimRidesThis

1995 R1100GS aka "Herr Flick"
1985 XL600R aka "Tamworth"
JimRidesThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:45 PM   #6188
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!
 
RFVC600R's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: SAND LAND
Oddometer: 2,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRidesThis View Post
Sounds like 'tired' or hardened valve stem oil seals. When the engine's not running a little oil can seep between the seal and valve stem into the inlet and exhaust ports. That'd give you white smoke on start up that would burn off fairly quickly exactly as you're describing (it will smell like burning oil too). But, from your post, it sounds like your engine's been rebuilt by pro's. How much detail's on the paperwork? Did they replace the valve stem oil seals?
Everything was done to this engine top to bottom. New valves, Hi-compression piston, new cam, new cam chain, new valves new crankshaft ect ect not to mention everything done to the gearbox. And it runs like a new bike, gobs of torque in low end and plenty to top out when you get up there. The recept don't say anything about valve seals, I assume that was changed with the valves. But you know what happens when you assume. All in all, it's about $1,300 in work done at that time.

None of that means anything if the dumbass PO didn't take care of it. He was dumb enough to want a valve adjustment and walk out with a rebuild. And withall the slack I had to pick up on maintenance, I don't think he changed the oil since the rebuild. First oil change there was metal flakes in the filter

Shit, I just dusted out on a new XR650L not 30 minutes ago on the trails. I just don't get it, runs like no other but that smoke got me paranoid. I had engines on machines that smoked before, but I didn't care about those like I love my XL.
__________________
'83 Honda XL600R 618cc 11:1 Wiseco, XR's Only Exhaust, big tube header, 6 Sigma stage 3 carb mods

RIDE RED!

RFVC600R screwed with this post 10-15-2012 at 04:50 PM
RFVC600R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:54 PM   #6189
cynicwanderer
Studly Adventurer
 
cynicwanderer's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: sacramento
Oddometer: 555
my honda engine guy swears by Honda OEM valve seals. he claims that the third party seals that come in some of the seal/gasket kits are not as good. he believes that some use materials that don't withstand the heat on the RFVC heads. not sure, but I do know that if I use black O-rings on the valve tensioner shaft, it leaks after a while and when I use the brown O-rings from Honda, it doesn't leak. so, there might be something to that theory.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracus124 View Post
Everything was done to this engine top to bottom. New valves, Hi-compression piston, new cam, new cam chain, new valves new crankshaft ect ect not to mention everything done to the gearbox. And it runs like a new bike, gobs of torque in low end and plenty to top out when you get up there. The recept don't say anything about valve seals, I assume that was changed with the valves. But you know what happens when you assume. All in all, it's about $1,300 in work done at that time.

None of that means anything if the dumbass PO didn't take care of it. He was dumb enough to want a valve adjustment and walk out with a rebuild. And withall the slack I had to pick up on maintenance, I don't think he changed the oil since the rebuild. First oil change there was metal flakes in the filter

Shit, I just dusted out on a new XR650L not 30 minutes ago on the trails. I just don't get it, runs like no other but that smoke got me paranoid. I had engines on machines that smoked before, but I didn't care about those like I love my XL.
cynicwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:50 AM   #6190
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!
 
RFVC600R's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: SAND LAND
Oddometer: 2,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicwanderer View Post
my honda engine guy swears by Honda OEM valve seals. he claims that the third party seals that come in some of the seal/gasket kits are not as good. he believes that some use materials that don't withstand the heat on the RFVC heads. not sure, but I do know that if I use black O-rings on the valve tensioner shaft, it leaks after a while and when I use the brown O-rings from Honda, it doesn't leak. so, there might be something to that theory.
So what should I do? I was going to rebuild in late February or early March just for piece of mind. Is it safe to ride it like this?
__________________
'83 Honda XL600R 618cc 11:1 Wiseco, XR's Only Exhaust, big tube header, 6 Sigma stage 3 carb mods

RIDE RED!
RFVC600R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:36 AM   #6191
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond
 
MentalGuru's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Mental Ward
Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracus124 View Post
What? please explain. That don't make any sense. And if you're saying moisture got in there somehow, I live in the desert, there is NO humidity lol
... You are creating humidity everytime your engine runs....

During combustion of gasoline one of the by-products is H2O which exits your engine as steam or vapor.

Basically an internal combustion engine emits about of one gallon of water for each gallon of gas burned.

Here a link

http://jg2090.newsvine.com/_news/200...-pounds-of-co2

Here's some info from the link...

How is this possible?
A gallon of gasoline weighs 6.3 pounds and is comprised of 87% Carbon (C) and 13% Hydrogen (H). When you burn gasoline, a chemical reaction occurs, using Oxygen from the atmosphere. The Hydrogen and the Carbon separate, then recombine with Oxygen from the atmosphere to form H2O, or water, and CO2, or Carbon dioxide.

How is 20 pounds of carbon Dioxide produced?:
A CO2 molecule has one carbon atom (atomic weight 12) and two oxygen atoms (atomic weight of 16 each). A carbon atom has a weight of 12, and each oxygen atom has a weight of 16, giving each single molecule of CO2 an atomic weight of 44 (12 from carbon and 32 from oxygen).
Therefore, to calculate the amount of CO2 produced from a gallon of gasoline, the weight of the carbon in the gasoline is multiplied by 44/12 or 3.7.
Since gasoline is about 87% carbon and 13% hydrogen by weight, the carbon in a gallon of gasoline weighs 5.5 pounds (6.3 lbs. x .87).
We can then multiply the weight of the carbon (5.5 pounds) by 3.7, which equals 20 pounds of CO2.

Now lets see how much H2O or water is produced:
A H2O molecule has two Hydrogen atoms (atomic weight 1) and one oxygen atom (atomic weight of 16 each). Each Hydrogen atom has a weight of 1, and the oxygen atom has a weight of 16, giving each single molecule of H20 an atomic weight of 18 (2 from Hydrogen and 16 from oxygen).
Therefore, to calculate the amount of H2O produced from a gallon of gasoline, the weight of the Hydrogen in the gasoline is multiplied by 18/2 or 9.
Since gasoline is about 87% carbon and 13% hydrogen by weight, the Hydrogen in a gallon of gasoline weighs 0.8 pounds (6.3 lbs. x .13). We can then multiply the weight of the Hydrogen (0.8 pounds) by 9, which equals 7 pounds of H2O or water and water vapor

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:21 AM   #6192
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!
 
RFVC600R's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: SAND LAND
Oddometer: 2,058
So what? it wouldn't make as much "steam" as I was seeing. Definitely smoke You managed to explain how this works, but not why it's relevant. If I was my engnine was supposedly making that much steam yesterday morning, then why doesn't it happen all the time?

Can anyone direct me to replacement cush drive bushings??
__________________
'83 Honda XL600R 618cc 11:1 Wiseco, XR's Only Exhaust, big tube header, 6 Sigma stage 3 carb mods

RIDE RED!

RFVC600R screwed with this post 10-16-2012 at 09:45 AM
RFVC600R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #6193
Carter Pewterschmidt
Studly Adventurer
 
Carter Pewterschmidt's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Milwaukee
Oddometer: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracus124 View Post
So what? it wouldn't make as much "steam" as I was seeing. Definitely smoke You managed to explain how this works, but not why it's relevant. If I was my engnine was supposedly making that much steam yesterday morning, then why doesn't it happen all the time?

Can anyone direct me to replacement cush drive bushings??
It only does it if the air is cold outside. Cars do the same thing when it's cold out. Although 60 degrees isn't very cold. Next time take a whiff of the exhaust and see if it smells like oil or not.
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #6194
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!
 
RFVC600R's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: SAND LAND
Oddometer: 2,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
It only does it if the air is cold outside. Cars do the same thing when it's cold out. Although 60 degrees isn't very cold. Next time take a whiff of the exhaust and see if it smells like oil or not.
Will do! I just don't know when it's gonna be cold enough to do it again.
__________________
'83 Honda XL600R 618cc 11:1 Wiseco, XR's Only Exhaust, big tube header, 6 Sigma stage 3 carb mods

RIDE RED!
RFVC600R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:22 PM   #6195
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond
 
MentalGuru's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Mental Ward
Oddometer: 726
The amount of moisture you'll see varys with engine and exhaust temp. It will also happen more if you don't fully heat the exhaust up to burn out the condensenation. The right temp and humidity makes it more noticeable.

Come up to some sub zero weather and see the steam rise.

Hold a piece of steel by the exhaust and you'll see exhaust turn into codensation/water and run off. Normally the exhaust is hot enough that what you see is full vaporized.

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014