User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 12:27 AM   #6241
nimbus721
n00b

Oddometer: 4
the air filter element support

where did you get the filter support mine has mysteriously disappeared during my recent rebuild.
nimbus721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:32 AM   #6242
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 1,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimbus721 View Post
where did you get the filter support mine has mysteriously disappeared during my recent rebuild.
I've always had it, sorry bro.

RIDE RED!
WTB: Honda XR650L bottom end
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:14 AM   #6243
beardothebeardo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
No start issue

I have a no start issue on my newly aquired 86 XL6.

Here is what I know.

Brand spankin new Ricky stator (went with the advise here)

Adjusted the valves.

Went through the carb and corrected everything that was assembled wrong from the PO, except for the idle speed....which leads me to one question. Where does it need to be set after initial contact with the screw?

I have spark. Kinda. I have to really kick the hell out of it to produce a spark. This wasn't like that with my old XL6.

So, this leads me to my other question, can this be a pick-up issue?

I'm out of ideas...

***edit***

I forgot to mention, I have tried starting with and without enrichener. Also tried age old starting fluid and nothing.

beardothebeardo screwed with this post 10-28-2012 at 01:37 PM
beardothebeardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:21 PM   #6244
Tirekiller
adventurer

Oddometer: 1
Greetings, 'permission to enter!

Hello! and thanks to all Mods, Admins and Members, for the lurker support. It's been valuable. I humbly offer in return this pic/avatar of my recently acquired '87. It was a gift, and I'm the second owner. Low miles, original knobbies, it'd been parked since '97. it took about a dozen kicks is all, when I got it home last month.
I've been all over this thread, scanning, reading, learning and enjoying. Much more to go... Thanks!

Tirekiller screwed with this post 10-28-2012 at 08:04 PM
Tirekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:03 PM   #6245
Carter Pewterschmidt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardothebeardo View Post

I forgot to mention, I have tried starting with and without enrichener. Also tried age old starting fluid and nothing.
Does it even pop when you try that? Does it start and die? Or is it just nothing?
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:06 PM   #6246
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 1,486
Hey guys I somehow broke my chain gaurd/guide on on the swingarm, I cant 't find one anywhere, what should I do?

RIDE RED!
WTB: Honda XR650L bottom end
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:46 AM   #6247
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardothebeardo View Post
I have a no start issue on my newly aquired 86 XL6.

Here is what I know.

Brand spankin new Ricky stator (went with the advise here)

Adjusted the valves.

Went through the carb and corrected everything that was assembled wrong from the PO, except for the idle speed....which leads me to one question. Where does it need to be set after initial contact with the screw?

I have spark. Kinda. I have to really kick the hell out of it to produce a spark. This wasn't like that with my old XL6.

So, this leads me to my other question, can this be a pick-up issue?

I'm out of ideas...

***edit***

Lets look at what you changed..The stator, have you still got the old one you can put back in to try it out?
Old 10-29-2012, 05:28 AM   #6248
beardothebeardo
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
Does it even pop when you try that? Does it start and die? Or is it just nothing?
No pop. No nothing. Nadda!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billtr96sn View Post
Lets look at what you changed..The stator, have you still got the old one you can put back in to try it out?
The old one was doing the same thing. Very weak spark when kicked hard, or no spark when kicked normal.

This is what lead me to believe I was having stator issues. Admittedly, I got ahead of myself without actually testing it.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:11 AM   #6249
Schrauberklaus
***ifyer

Oddometer: 334
Hi

Do you check your Carbs ?

They are more then 20 years old and many things there can go wrong.

To high gasoline level in the float boal from any reason and a leaking / open choke and the mix goes way to rich to start .
Worn out needle in the primary carb does the same .
Or the little Spring that hold the needle down in the slide is broken /rusty and the neddle stuck with the clip in the Holder in a pos. thats to high .

A hole in the diaphragma of the Air leak valve (very often ) and the mix is to lean to start .
Or simply the slow jet is partly blocked .

The XL had always a weak Spark but even a weak spark can ignite the mix if its the correct ratio .
but on the XL a little to rich or a little to lean and that weak spark does nothing .

And the Window of a good mix is very small . Lamda 0,87-0,95
Honda XR 280 R Sumo 04 , Honda XR 250 Baja 98
Yamaha Speed MX ( 2 Stroke ) 01 ,CRF250L 13
Schrauberklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:07 AM   #6250
beardothebeardo
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrauberklaus View Post
Hi

Do you check your Carbs ?

They are more then 20 years old and many things there can go wrong.

To high gasoline level in the float boal from any reason and a leaking / open choke and the mix goes way to rich to start .
Worn out needle in the primary carb does the same .
Or the little Spring that hold the needle down in the slide is broken /rusty and the neddle stuck with the clip in the Holder in a pos. thats to high .

A hole in the diaphragma of the Air leak valve (very often ) and the mix is to lean to start .
Or simply the slow jet is partly blocked .

The XL had always a weak Spark but even a weak spark can ignite the mix if its the correct ratio .
but on the XL a little to rich or a little to lean and that weak spark does nothing .

And the Window of a good mix is very small . Lamda 0,87-0,95
I did go through the carbs sat or sun (I cant remember), but you would think that it would at least do something off of starting fluid, if not fresh gasoline.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:19 AM   #6251
Schrauberklaus
***ifyer

Oddometer: 334
hi

give it a try .
but if it run already to rich the start pilot spray will not help .
close the gas tap first , kick the float boal dry .
if you lucky the bike will start already depend at on point of kicking with the closed gas tap
the mix gets lean and if it was to rich for starting then the engine will at least pop a few times.

venting the cylinder with full trottle and manual decomp lever will also help to move the to rich mix out
of the combustion chamber .
Honda XR 280 R Sumo 04 , Honda XR 250 Baja 98
Yamaha Speed MX ( 2 Stroke ) 01 ,CRF250L 13
Schrauberklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:53 AM   #6252
beardothebeardo
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrauberklaus View Post
hi

give it a try .
but if it run already to rich the start pilot spray will not help .
close the gas tap first , kick the float boal dry .
if you lucky the bike will start already depend at on point of kicking with the closed gas tap
the mix gets lean and if it was to rich for starting then the engine will at least pop a few times.

venting the cylinder with full trottle and manual decomp lever will also help to move the to rich mix out
of the combustion chamber .
I don't think I was clear in my previous post. I tried starting with fresh gas, tap on and off. I tried starting with ether (starting fluid), again, tap on and off. I have even left the air box disconnected (from when i took the carbs out to clean and sort) to get a direct shot of ether. Nothing.

***No doubt this is a spark problem***

I can leave the plug hang and if I kick the hell out of it, I can see a spark jump across the electrode. Does the same thing if I ground it on a screw on the engine.

So again, if I kick normal, no spark. Kick the hell out of it, got weak spark.

Upon a closer look, the ignition coil is an aftermarket unit. Can coils be tested? Can pick-ups be tested?

beardothebeardo screwed with this post 10-29-2012 at 08:11 AM
Old 10-29-2012, 09:08 AM   #6253
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 5,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracus124 View Post
Hey guys I somehow broke my chain gaurd/guide on on the swingarm, I cant 't find one anywhere, what should I do?

xrsonly.com has some for the XR600, and if you find the right one it may fit the XL. They seem to be 3-hole, though, and it looks like you need a 2-hole. Maybe call them to see if they know?

For a used one, ebay has you covered.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:00 AM   #6254
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
xrsonly.com has some for the XR600, and if you find the right one it may fit the XL. They seem to be 3-hole, though, and it looks like you need a 2-hole. Maybe call them to see if they know?

For a used one, ebay has you covered.
Those things are just a little fin that keeps something, I don't know what, from touching the chain. It's not even mounted on very sturdy tabs. I remember being able to bend the tabs like tinfoil when I would move the guard back and forth. Very unlike the XR guard which is mounted on a thick bracket and the chain passes through it. I don't know what the fin is supposed to deflect, but nothing very serious. You could take it off!

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:12 AM   #6255
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 5,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp View Post
Those things are just a little fin that keeps something, I don't know what, from touching the chain. It's not even mounted on very sturdy tabs. I remember being able to bend the tabs like tinfoil when I would move the guard back and forth. Very unlike the XR guard which is mounted on a thick bracket and the chain passes through it. I don't know what the fin is supposed to deflect, but nothing very serious. You could take it off!
I think it is supposed to prevent the chain from coming off the rear sprocket, in the event that the chain is too loose. Or it could be said that the chain is supposed to be a bit loose, and the guide keeps it aligned.

Yup, it's pretty flimsy. If you aren't doing the Baja 1000, you might not need it.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote