ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 03:27 PM   #6256
beardothebeardo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: City of Champions
Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardothebeardo View Post
Upon a closer look, the ignition coil is an aftermarket unit. Can coils be tested? Can pick-ups be tested?
Anyone? I honestly don't remember having to kick this hard on my old one.
beardothebeardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #6257
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Somerset, UK
Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardothebeardo View Post
Anyone? I honestly don't remember having to kick this hard on my old one.
Coils can be tested, not sure how because I always swap them out for a known good one, pick ups can if you have a moving coil meter or scope. I have never had one go bad on me though. (That doesnt mean it cannot happen)
__________________
If you see me coming, better step aside. A lot of men didn't, a lot of men died, all because of my shit brakes.
Billtr96sn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:39 PM   #6258
Carter Pewterschmidt
Studly Adventurer
 
Carter Pewterschmidt's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Milwaukee
Oddometer: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardothebeardo View Post
Anyone? I honestly don't remember having to kick this hard on my old one.
Usually when a coil is bad it stops working completely, or stop working when they get hot. Unless the wire is bad. Most other ignition components follow the same rule. CDI, key switch, etc. If they're bad typically you get no spark at all.

The spark on my bike used to look pretty weak before I replaced the stator. After that you could tell the difference just by watching the spark plug when kicking the engine over.

I'd test your compression before you buy anything else. You should be at 120 psi. If that's really low it won't start for shit.
Carter Pewterschmidt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #6259
Schrauberklaus
***ifyer
 
Schrauberklaus's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Phuket ,Thailand
Oddometer: 349
Yes you can .


Ignition Coil black/red - green (Ground) 230-320 Ohm , 285 Ohm at 20 Degreas Celsius
Pick up blue/yellow- green 340-440 Ohm
Ignition Coil prim./sek. 0,1-0,3 / 3,7-4,5 k-Ohm without the Plug
__________________
Klaus
___________________________
Honda XL 600 R(S) 84 , Honda XR 600 Dual Carb. 87
Honda XR 280 R Sumo 04 , Honda XR 250 Baja 98
Yamaha Speed MX ( 2 Stroke ) 01 ,CRF250L 13
Schrauberklaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:55 AM   #6260
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Somerset, UK
Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrauberklaus View Post
Yes you can .


Ignition Coil black/red - green (Ground) 230-320 Ohm , 285 Ohm at 20 Degreas Celsius
Pick up blue/yellow- green 340-440 Ohm
Ignition Coil prim./sek. 0,1-0,3 / 3,7-4,5 k-Ohm without the Plug
Can we have this info made into a sticky??
__________________
If you see me coming, better step aside. A lot of men didn't, a lot of men died, all because of my shit brakes.
Billtr96sn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:23 AM   #6261
Schrauberklaus
***ifyer
 
Schrauberklaus's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Phuket ,Thailand
Oddometer: 349
You want it Sticky?

Print it , use Google to translate the Words you don't know and Stick it on your Toolbox.


__________________
Klaus
___________________________
Honda XL 600 R(S) 84 , Honda XR 600 Dual Carb. 87
Honda XR 280 R Sumo 04 , Honda XR 250 Baja 98
Yamaha Speed MX ( 2 Stroke ) 01 ,CRF250L 13
Schrauberklaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:38 AM   #6262
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 641
Wicked Magic button.....tada!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardothebeardo View Post
Anyone? I honestly don't remember having to kick this hard on my old one.
E-start means never having to kick and say $%^& that hurt, you no-good *&^%$&#&^%$#
__________________
"Don't get so concerned with the slab that you choose a turd for the dirt"- The Gospel as spoken by itrack
Sierra Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:55 AM   #6263
beardothebeardo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: City of Champions
Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
Usually when a coil is bad it stops working completely, or stop working when they get hot. Unless the wire is bad. Most other ignition components follow the same rule. CDI, key switch, etc. If they're bad typically you get no spark at all.

The spark on my bike used to look pretty weak before I replaced the stator. After that you could tell the difference just by watching the spark plug when kicking the engine over.

I'd test your compression before you buy anything else. You should be at 120 psi. If that's really low it won't start for shit.
I ended up replacing the stator with one from Ricky because of the problem I am experiencing now. Makes me wonder if I got a bad new stator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrauberklaus View Post
Yes you can .


Ignition Coil black/red - green (Ground) 230-320 Ohm , 285 Ohm at 20 Degreas Celsius
Pick up blue/yellow- green 340-440 Ohm
Ignition Coil prim./sek. 0,1-0,3 / 3,7-4,5 k-Ohm without the Plug
Thank you for the specs. I'll be checking those over later.

Are there specs for the stator, as well?
beardothebeardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:35 AM   #6264
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Somerset, UK
Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrauberklaus View Post
You want it Sticky?

Print it , use Google to translate the Words you don't know and Stick it on your Toolbox.

Thank you Klaus, very much.
__________________
If you see me coming, better step aside. A lot of men didn't, a lot of men died, all because of my shit brakes.
Billtr96sn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:19 AM   #6265
Schrauberklaus
***ifyer
 
Schrauberklaus's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Phuket ,Thailand
Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardothebeardo View Post
I ended up replacing the stator with one from Ricky because of the problem I am experiencing now. Makes me wonder if I got a bad new stator.



Thank you for the specs. I'll be checking those over later.

Are there specs for the stator, as well?
Look above on Page 2 under Elektrik> Lichtmaschine
__________________
Klaus
___________________________
Honda XL 600 R(S) 84 , Honda XR 600 Dual Carb. 87
Honda XR 280 R Sumo 04 , Honda XR 250 Baja 98
Yamaha Speed MX ( 2 Stroke ) 01 ,CRF250L 13
Schrauberklaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:34 AM   #6266
beardothebeardo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: City of Champions
Oddometer: 188
Thank you very much for all your help. I have some work to do. Will report back later.
beardothebeardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:19 AM   #6267
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur
 
High Country Herb's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Western Sierras
Oddometer: 6,634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
E-start means never having to kick and say $%^& that hurt, you no-good *&^%$&#&^%$#
I rather have to kickstart, than have to push start on single track gravel. We don't need no stinking battery!
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:56 PM   #6268
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Somerset, UK
Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
I rather have to kickstart, than have to push start on single track gravel. We don't need no stinking battery!
Or you could have my XL, kick AND electric!
__________________
If you see me coming, better step aside. A lot of men didn't, a lot of men died, all because of my shit brakes.
Billtr96sn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #6269
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!
 
RFVC600R's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: SAND LAND
Oddometer: 2,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billtr96sn View Post
Or you could have my XL, kick AND electric!
Still don'tneed no battery!

I ran over a fucking HUGE staple at the lake bed, nothing like limping home 15 miles with a flat in the middle of nowhere. Now I can't ride for a couple days til that damned tube comes in I have no life.
__________________
'83 Honda XL600R 618cc 11:1 Wiseco, XR's Only Exhaust, big tube header, 6 Sigma stage 3 carb mods

RIDE RED!
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #6270
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human
 
Zombie_Stomp's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: SE Portland/ Carrboroland NC
Oddometer: 2,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracus124 View Post
Still don'tneed no battery!

I ran over a fucking HUGE staple at the lake bed, nothing like limping home 15 miles with a flat in the middle of nowhere. Now I can't ride for a couple days til that damned tube comes in I have no life.
Was it a lake bed of boxes from your work? Wait, that'd be fun.

Shoot, I should get a couple of spares together before it happens to me!
__________________
1983 Toyota pickup: total overhaul, preservation-restoration in constant progress...
1987 Yamaha XT600 2KF (German)
STOLEN: RED XL600 in Portland

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014