Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #6301
Carter Pewterschmidt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardothebeardo View Post
I just wanted to report back with my bike. I finally have good spark, and after re-adjusting the decompressor cables, and a lot of kicking (I had the bike on it's side several times doing various things to it) it started up, and smoked something fierce!

Let the bike run for awhile clearing itself out. Shut it down a few times to make sure I got good re-start-ability, which I do.

Thank you again for all the help here. It is very much appreciated!!!
So what did you fix to restore spark?
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #6302
beardothebeardo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
So what did you fix to restore spark?
I replaced the used stator the PO owner bought to replace the original that went bad with a Ricky Stator. I also replaced the aftermarket ignition coil with a Honda item and of course, the plug, to start fresh.

So far, nothing on this bike has really been right, that was touched by the PO. Well intentioned, but not right.
beardothebeardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #6303
Carter Pewterschmidt
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardothebeardo View Post
I replaced the used stator the PO owner bought to replace the original that went bad with a Ricky Stator. I also replaced the aftermarket ignition coil with a Honda item and of course, the plug, to start fresh.

So far, nothing on this bike has really been right, that was touched by the PO. Well intentioned, but not right.
Nice. My bike was the same way when I got it. The PO was trying to restore it so he bought a bunch of new parts, the Honda manual, and spray painted a bunch of crap without masking anything off. He sold it because he couldn't get it to start, ended up being because the compression was so low. I ended up doing the top end and spending a god awful amount of time removing all his over spray.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:37 PM   #6304
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Oddometer: 393
Everyone knows if you are going to spray something in the bike, leave it in!! Dont remove,mask or do anything,just spray carefully.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:45 AM   #6305
beardothebeardo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
LOL Yes, I have some of the very same spots you speak of!!!
beardothebeardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #6306
Rifleman1000
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Eh? Xl600r question

Ive had a 83 Xl600r for a few years, It runs perfect and starts first of second kick hot or cold. Now my big problem i just has surgery on my knee and i will not be able to kick start it. I love the xl and dont want to get rid of it but i wont be able to kick it anymore. Im going to convert it to electric start. i have already purchased XL650l side cover , starter gears , starter , wiring and everything i need including a XL600 LM crankshaft. Now for the big question i need to go from 75 stroke to 80 stroke because that was the stroke on the LM .

Whats the best way to do this?

1. get a 4mm spacer for the bottom of the cylinder and run a slightly longer cam chain.

2. get a XR600r Cylinder and Piston 97 bore x 80 stroke and reuse the XL600r head . going from 100 mm to 97 mm shouldn't be a big deal right ?

Any other options ?

I read somewhere that Honda changes stroke by moving the wrist pin up or down in the piston ? is that true?

The XL600 and XR600 use the same connecting rod so either the cranks are different or the wrist pin holes are ?

If the wrist pins move up and down then if someone makes a XR600 piston at 100mm instead of 97 that would work right ?

thanks
Rifleman1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #6307
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman1000 View Post
Ive had a 83 Xl600r for a few years, It runs perfect and starts first of second kick hot or cold. Now my big problem i just has surgery on my knee and i will not be able to kick start it. I love the xl and dont want to get rid of it but i wont be able to kick it anymore. Im going to convert it to electric start. i have already purchased XL650l side cover , starter gears , starter , wiring and everything i need including a XL600 LM crankshaft. Now for the big question i need to go from 75 stroke to 80 stroke because that was the stroke on the LM .

1. get a 4mm spacer for the bottom of the cylinder and run a slightly longer cam chain.

2. get a XR600r Cylinder and Piston 97 bore x 80 stroke and reuse the XL600r head . going from 100 mm to 97 mm shouldn't be a big deal right ?

Any other options ?

I read somewhere that Honda changes stroke by moving the wrist pin up or down in the piston ? is that true?

The XL600 and XR600 use the same connecting rod so either the cranks are different or the wrist pin holes are ?

If the wrist pins move up and down then if someone makes a XR600 piston at 100mm instead of 97 that would work right ?

thanks
Are you familiar with the differences between the XR650L and XL600/XR600 engine cases? I think you need the mounting bosses for the starter motor. The magnet rotor is deeper and larger. I'm not sure if the clutch pushrod is exatly the same, that may all be in the side cover. So on your list should probably be an XR650L or XL600LM bottom end or all the parts needed to assemble one especially including the crankcase halves. Then you will need to attach a battery box to hold the larger battery needed to crank the starter. That will necessitate the use of a welder to put mounting points on the frame. You can find XR650L photos of where it is and how big. Next you will want to use an XR650L or XL600Lm wiring harness since it works differently from the XL, to save the trouble of coming up with a custom wiring harness. I've gone over all these compatibility issues in-depth on all the U.S. models, and I predict either a huge custom project with lots of money spent, or you sell the XL and spend just a little more to buy an XR650L. At least then you could buy some old 80's XR plastics to "spruce it up" a little. Or get a red XR650L and apply yellow number panel stickers and blue seat to make it look 80's. That's probably what I would do.

Edit: I almost forgot! The cam decompression system on e-start (XR650L at least) is as first found on '88 and later XR600s... narrower cam chain, cam chain tensioners and sprockets, different head with a different cam with it's own centrifugal decompression system built in...

Brucifer, I believe, has an entire thread dedicated to this topic, I just remembered. I think he ended up frankensteining some XL and XR650L engines together with a lot of valvetrain components specially modified and fitted. He had a special battery box build into his airbox and had to hold down his decompression lever and let off to start or something whacky like that. If you haven't read it you should... hell, so should I, it's been so long.

As long as you know what you're in for, have at it!

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.

Zombie_Stomp screwed with this post 11-05-2012 at 01:11 PM
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #6308
Carter Pewterschmidt
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

Yes, between the XL600R and the XR600R the wrist pin location is different. So If the LM crank is the same as the XL600R crank as well as the con rod, then it's just a different piston. If that's the case it's safe to assume that the XL600LM uses a piston similar to the XR600R, so you could probably just run a standard XL600R piston and cylinder with your XL head. Try to cross the piston part numbers between the XL600LM and the XL600R. If they use the same part number then you know that either the rod or the crank is different to change the stroke and not the piston.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #6309
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,997
Quote:

Any other options ?

thanks
Sell the XL and buy a XR650l. Much easier in the end.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #6310
Rifleman1000
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanks for the info guys i found out the XL600 LM & XR600r have the same piston . I also found out that they make an overbore piston at 100mm for the XR600r so all i have to do is get the piston and im all set . I have a XL600LM case with the bosses and ill run a XR650L Stator and should be pretty straight forward to swap things around. I have almost all the parts i need except the piston which i have to see if i need to hone the cylinder out or not. I figure decomp from the XL600r and its head should bolt right on no problems and timing chain should be standard xl600 since im using XL cylinder.
Rifleman1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:10 PM   #6311
tractor4play
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
bullshit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billtr96sn View Post
Tried it have you? I doubt it very much.
do you really doubt it.
i have been riding off road for over thirty years.
BULLSHIT.
tractor4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #6312
tractor4play
Gnarly Adventurer

Sorted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ret1614 View Post
Just reporting back, the air cut diaphragm out of an 86 fits an '85. The pintle on the diaphragm is about 0.003" shorter, but it seems to function identically.
good job bud.
as before pm me for any hard to come by parts as most parts are still available in europe or uk.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #6313
tractor4play
Gnarly Adventurer

Eek xr650r forks

i just adapted xr650r forks onto my xl.
i serviced the forks before hand.
flushed them out.removed springs.fully compressed.
2.5 wt synthetic oil with 110mm air gap to top of fork.
all back together and nipped up to honda specs.
compressing each fork leg by hand before fitting they function nicely.
BUT as soon as i remove pressure on the rebound theres a slight clunk from each fork.
any ideas? could it be air pressure?
worn springs?
free spring length was 505mm. i think.my memory not what it used to be.
what was i talking about?
Old 11-06-2012, 03:50 AM   #6314
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Oddometer: 393
Moving the wrist pin in the piston will not change the stroke at all, just the compression ratio, the stroke is set at the other end of the conrod down at the flywheels.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:15 PM   #6315
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,192
Turn Signals

What Kind of turn signals do ya'll use? I've been buying mine off ebay. The problem is that they break when I fall, if a branch hits them and my friend kicked one off when he mounted my XL when we traded rides for a little bit. I know they're bound to break, I just want ones that are of better quality.

Is there any that will flex a little before breaking? or what about some really small ones? or maybe some I can take off real quick before I jump in the dirt? I'm sick of buying these things lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.
RFVC600R is online now   Reply With Quote