Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 08:44 AM   #6331
kmequint
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparmanpete View Post
Ok, I was wondering if they were stackable gaskets to raise and lower the compression or deck highth.

What about using anti-sieze? I don't see anyone else using it and am wondering why? I wish the PO would have used it.

I so can't wait to get it back on the road!
This is the way the bike was when I acquired it. As you can see the head gasket is several layers. This is the cause of a stripped head bolt, and continuing to ride it.

kmequint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #6332
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Brrr cold!

Is it just mine, or are all XL 600's the most coold blooded bike in the world? Starts right up, but don't even think about shutting it off or killing it before it warms up all the way.. I just about have to find other transportation if I kill it when it has been under 40 the last few mornings going to work. In fact the other morning I gave up and hopped in the truck. Got home that night, and it fires right up on the 3rd kick. Cold you are fine. Warmed up you are fine. In between the two? You are screwed.

Chris
Old 11-09-2012, 11:30 PM   #6333
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12120 View Post
Is it just mine, or are all XL 600's the most coold blooded bike in the world? Starts right up, but don't even think about shutting it off or killing it before it warms up all the way.. I just about have to find other transportation if I kill it when it has been under 40 the last few mornings going to work. In fact the other morning I gave up and hopped in the truck. Got home that night, and it fires right up on the 3rd kick. Cold you are fine. Warmed up you are fine. In between the two? You are screwed.

Chris
Is your jetting all stock? The xl600's, like all street legal bikes, came abit lean from the factory stock, and cold-blooded is a lean symptom. If its running great besides that, and has always done it, you might want to go up abit in size on your pilot jet. If it just started doing it then there's something else going on.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:58 AM   #6334
Homerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 430
Have you tried, three kicks full choke no throttle, followed by three kicks full throttle no choke. Used to work a treat on my xl350r when it died before fully warming up.
Homerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:21 AM   #6335
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerb View Post
Have you tried, three kicks full choke no throttle, followed by three kicks full throttle no choke. Used to work a treat on my xl350r when it died before fully warming up.
Any full-throttle kick on my xl600 would always result in extreme kickback unless decompression was used simultaneously, and only something done to clear out flooding. Mostly I would use decompression and multiple kicks (with choke on usually) to prime the big cylinder with fuel/air prior to starting. Anything more than the tiniest amount of throttle with a full kick would result in major kickback. Ouch.

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:25 AM   #6336
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Quote:
anyone ever change the kick lever? from the rod to something like a pedal.
No reason i could see doing so unless it was an aluminum one that broke such as found on an XR600. Found they would not interchange well due to different footpeg-to-frame spacing between the XR and XL 600 frames. Such swapping, I found, limited the amount of follow-through possible from an XR kickstart lever put on an XL frame and footpeg configuration. It just jammed at the peg since it stops on the peg at the end of travel. Maybe the XL kicker lever would work on an XR frame, have yet to try. the AL one is bigger at the base since AL is a softer metal, so needed to be bigger than the forged cast stl XL kickstarter. The prospect of grafting a pedal or other alternative 90 degree extension to the forged, cast steel XL kick lever seems like a brittle design idea in my experience and humble opinion.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:37 AM   #6337
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12120 View Post

Chris
So very true. Between cold and hot is very tricky territory on bikes such as these. You can't tell if you need to decompress the cylinder and blow it all out and start fresh, or half-choke it. In fact, no proper amount of choke can be metered manually at the temperature we're talking about. It is like saying, 'yes, it can be started with no choke, but it may take 20 kicks to get it started', we just cannot know how much choke we need, nor can we adjust it to the right amount. Just not possible. Like my XT600 now, the choke has one setting, and it's a very heavy amount of choke with no secondary "in-between" setting. So it's either on and idling high as hell for the first two-three stoplights, or if I turn it off prematurely, it's barely idling. At least the XL choke, when in good shape, has a 50% setting. As far as if it dies somewhere in there, you need 5-7 kicks to get started again. I think this is a symptom of having a 600cc single cylinder. I'd like to know for sure one day if that's why it acts this way.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:05 AM   #6338
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,862
Quote:

can't seem to find a new Decompressor shaft spring any where any ideas?

Look up a XR600 spring. It should fit.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:58 AM   #6339
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

Oddometer: 704
cold running and kick starter

This time of year I turn up the idle speed screw on my dual carb XR when cold to aid starting and then wait for the Vapor to read 100F at the upper banjo bolt before I turn off the choke. It initially idles around 1600 at 100F with the choke off on these cold morning. By the halfway point in my commute to work, I'm idling around 1900-2k and the temps are at 170F. At that point I reach down at one of the longer stoplights and turn the idle back down to 1700. Easy to do when you have the Vapor tach and temp sensors

Also, on my 84 XR5 I replaced the stock steel kick lever with a newer XR6 aluminum. I just looked at the parts fiche and the 83/4 XR5 has the same part number listed for the steel kick lever that the XL6 has.

This was the second XR6 kick lever I tried. The first aluminum lever was from an 85-7 XR6 and it does not fit due to the difference in exhaust header bends. I noticed that the later XR6 levers had a different bend and when a cheap one showed up on Ebay I took another chance and tried again. It fits my bike.

This mid-90s XR6 lever is slightly longer and thus provides more leverage making it an easier kick. I did have the sticking problem Zombie reported where the fatter XR6 aluminum would get wedged in the foot peg mount. However, in my case it wasn't too much interference and it quickly wore the aluminum down and now it no longer sticks.

So the question for Zombie is: which year XR6 aluminum lever did you try on your XL6? Maybe the newer XR6 levers will fit the XL and the sticking problem will wear out like it did on my XR5?
Ghost_Mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:58 AM   #6340
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Mutant View Post

So the question for Zombie is: which year XR6 aluminum lever did you try on your XL6? Maybe the newer XR6 levers will fit the XL and the sticking problem will wear out like it did on my XR5?
At one point I had a 1989 XR600 which supposedly had been fitted with a 1998 XR600 engine. That's the lever I experimented with. So it was probably a 1998 kick lever.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #6341
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

Oddometer: 704
I'm pretty sure that a 98 XR600 kick lever is the same as the one I'm running now on my 84 XR5. If it didn't work on the XL6, then that's new news to me. There are at least two different XR6 aluminum kick lever bends, one that works on my RFVC XR5s, and one that doesn't.

I remember the talk about the early Paris-Dakar XL6s that were using the XR5 suspension/frame but with the 600 engine and custom seat/tanks. So I didn't think the frame differences between the XR5 and XL6 were that great, esp. since they both use the same cast steel kick lever.
Ghost_Mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #6342
kmequint
Adventurer

Quote:
Looking for low cost front tire suggestions,

I have 270's on now and was hoping to grind down the cupping on the front one and reverse it but it 11yrs old and would rather replace it.
I have had good luck with Shinko's, aka Golden Boy
Old 11-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #6343
kmequint
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmanpete View Post
the 244 or the 700s?
Old 11-11-2012, 05:47 PM   #6344
kmequint
Adventurer

Quote:
What is the actual speed rating on these in the 3.00-21 I keep seeing three different speed rating, WTF

They look good though.
Right off the tire 75 MPH.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:20 PM   #6345
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
Is your jetting all stock? The xl600's, like all street legal bikes, came abit lean from the factory stock, and cold-blooded is a lean symptom. If its running great besides that, and has always done it, you might want to go up abit in size on your pilot jet. If it just started doing it then there's something else going on.
Always been that way. Have a supertrapp and up 1 size on primary and secondary carb jets. I was thinking I might go up a size on the pilot also, but it has only been real bad the cold days. Mid 30's. I just have taken to leaving the choke on until I get through the first couple of lights.