User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 08:07 PM   #6391
Indenturedx5

Oddometer: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moparmanpete View Post
How many OHMS are you getting from the Black and Red between ground?
Black and Red to ground is open. nothing no ohms no continuity
Old 11-21-2012, 10:58 PM   #6392
Indenturedx5

I'm still eyeballing a new stator on ebay for 65 with free shipping to try out.[/QUOTE]

I saw that one on ebay also. I just don't know about it. Sounds to good to be true usually is junk. My shallow wallet says buy it. My common sense tells me it is junk. I think better off to buy the ricky. I don't really want to, but after looking at the other stator I have already and seeing how bad it is. I just don't think it makes sense to fiddle around trying to fix this one. If it is not a bad wire obvious thing I am not gonna mess around with it much. How many times your put a alternator in your old car? Well alternator is almost 30 yrs old in the XL. Know what i mean? I know what you mean about wallet though. Hard to shell out 150 bucks for the old bike when you have wife 4 kids and Christmas around the corner.

Chris
Old 11-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #6393
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,015
Black 'n Red is the ignition pole on the stator. IT'S DEAD. Buy a Ricky Stator and be done with it. PROVEN FIX!!!!

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:36 PM   #6394
Indenturedx5

Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Black 'n Red is the ignition pole on the stator. IT'S DEAD. Buy a Ricky Stator and be done with it. PROVEN FIX!!!!
That is what I concluded. Gonna get the Ricky as soon as I can.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:27 PM   #6395
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,201
I was trail riding the earlier today and I seen some nice single track (single track is kinda rare out here) cutting through the desert and I decided to follow it, luckily I wasn't going very fast cuz I woulda killed my old as suspensions, there was a straight drop off like 12ft high into a wash. it looked like people ride off like a giant curb I gotta take a picture of this shit for ya'll anyone who does this is nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:03 PM   #6396
Indenturedx5

Ricky stator

Coil showed up today, and the gasket and Ricky are on the way! Can't wait to get all wet and cold riding this winter! Anybody have ideas for replacement battery? I would like to get something that last better then the usual stuff you get.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:10 AM   #6397
Carter Pewterschmidt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 998
WTB Air Box

I'm looking for an air box to cut up a bit. A broken one will work as if it's the front part or the bottom that's damaged. I'm just looking for the top, battery tray, and rear mud guard to be intact. I'm thinking of running pod filters I would like to use the top of the air box as a tray to keep the electronics and battery mounted. A damaged piece would be preferred since I don't want to destroy a good air box if I don't have to. If anyone has something please let me know. Thanks
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #6398
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
I'm looking for an air box to cut up a bit. A broken one will work as if it's the front part or the bottom that's damaged. I'm just looking for the top, battery tray, and rear mud guard to be intact. I'm thinking of running pod filters I would like to use the top of the air box as a tray to keep the electronics and battery mounted. A damaged piece would be preferred since I don't want to destroy a good air box if I don't have to. If anyone has something please let me know. Thanks
I have the air box with an enlarged inlet hole that should work. I have the rubber boots and an air box cover, if anyone needs them also.

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:33 PM   #6399
Carter Pewterschmidt
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post
I have the air box with an enlarged inlet hole that should work. I have the rubber boots and an air box cover, if anyone needs them also.

The only thing with that is the hole on top might make it flimsy once the whole bottom of the box is cut away. I wish I would have looked at it when I was over there but I wasn't thinking about pod filters at the time. What I found today is what gave me this idea.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #6400
Carter Pewterschmidt
Studly Adventurer

Pods on the XL

To catch everybody else up I bought an XL600R motor off of MentalGuru here last week. He said it the motor made very good power when he was riding it, but doesn't know much about what modifications, if any, were done to it. All he could tell was that it had aftermarket valve springs and ran very well with about 12 disks on the supertrapp, when he tried backing it down to 6 disks if felt much slower.

I took the rocker cover off and confirmed that the valve springs look like aftermarket ones, but I can't tell if it's got a cam or anything else just by looking at it. He told me the jetting felt spot on when riding so I did some detective work today and took apart the carbs to check jet sizes...

Now I can safely assume this motor must have been a heavy breather cause these jets are HUGE. It's got a 140 primary and 130 in the secondary! With a 70 pilot jet! Those things are like shower heads compared to the dynojet kit in my carbs. So the evidence shows that Mr Mental Guru wasn't pulling my leg about that motor being powerful because it certainly was thirsty. Knowing this and considering I ride on the street I think it may be beneficial to run pods with this top end.

If anyone has ever run any pods on this bike I'd appreciate any info you can give me. Things like filter type you've used and fitment issues, etc. I have jetted bikes with pods before so this isn't exactly my first rodeo. I know to start I may be getting an even bigger pilot jet.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:17 PM   #6401
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Try it was wicked with 15 discs and was gutless with 9 discs(needed smaller jets). At least most street bikes around here are real loud too...

I was careful when I cut the stock hole larger, it should be easy to cover the hole and put a one pound sealed Shorai battery above it. That would help clean up the air filter area looks wise. Opening the stock snorkleless hole about 40% made a big difference in power.

It should run really good with pods on it.

CW stated downswept megaphone pipes will gain about 4 more hp up top with the gain starting on the very bottom.

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:05 AM   #6402
SBG
Neville1 to TT boys

Oddometer: 345
Front fender appears to be a yamaha MX fender somewhere in the 2002-2010 zone, and the rear fender appears to be an Acerbis Baja rear fender, but Polisport also makes one exactly like that, and I think Cemoto does too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretchah View Post

It's a little shabby at the mo, but, love it all the same, not sure what the fenders are off of though, anyone know ?

Old 11-27-2012, 05:55 AM   #6403
Stretchah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Cheers SBG, much appreciated :)

Fitted my knobbiles and took to the lanes on the XL for the first time on Sunday and loved it, thinking it may be even more fun if I alter the gearing a little, currently running 15:40 which is great on the road for the odd motorway etc, but, probably a little tall off ;)

A bit of a steep one...

and the wet chalk hill wasn't too easy ;)

as my friends BMW can testify ;)

but, had a great day out and the XL was great fun...can't wait for next time now :)

Stretchah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:30 AM   #6404
Billtr96sn
Flange Furtler

Oddometer: 393
There isnt much around that can beat a old XL600!
Old 11-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #6405
Stretchah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billtr96sn View Post
There isnt much around that can beat a old XL600!
Definitely agree with that. I've been enjoying it on the road, but, off road it definitely came into it's own for me...best purchase I've made in a long time, still got a few issues to iron out mainly with cold starts, but, I'll get there
Stretchah is offline   Reply With Quote