Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 05:55 PM   #6526
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by crobox View Post
Thanks. There definitely seems to be some interest. It seems like there are a few, or more than a few, dudes on here who love riding these things but are either A) not athletic enough anymore to kick the damn things to life, or B) suffer from sort of injury that prevents it. It's a testament to people's feelings for these bikes that they are interested in an alternative.

I was going to do this and had a XR650L and a XR600R. The 600R would walk the 650L anytime plus the throttle response is night and day when compared against each other. The 650L's gearbox helped it but it was still wasn't even close.

Combine them and watch out. The XL will pull 15/45 gears easy anywhere with 650L geared bottom end. A NX650 bottom end is even a better choice.

The best way is to combine both bikes is to have them both. Do your build and sell off the leftovers.

The main issues with putting a XR650L into a XL600R frame aren't bad at all. The head bolts on the XL600 cylinder are one size smaller and the timing chain is wider. Since the XL600 bore is the same size as the 650L piston you could swap your cylinder and top end on. All you need to do is use the XR650L camshaft sprocket. Then swap over the 650L's electrical system and get a new light high output battery. Thats about it all it really takes.

It can be done many other ways to do this. Concider this post #1.

Using the XRL chassis is also an option. This is where the fun begins.

More to come...

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:48 PM   #6527
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post
I was going to do this and had a XR650L and a XR600R. The 600R would walk the 650L anytime plus the throttle response is night and day when compared against each other. The 650L's gearbox helped it but it was still wasn't even close.

Combine them and watch out. The XL will pull 15/45 gears easy anywhere with 650L geared bottom end. A NX650 bottom end is even a better choice.

The best way is to combine both bikes is to have them both. Do your build and sell off the leftovers.

The main issues with putting a XR650L into a XL600R frame aren't bad at all. The head bolts on the XL600 cylinder are one size smaller and the timing chain is wider. Since the XL600 bore is the same size as the 650L piston you could swap your cylinder and top end on. All you need to do is use the XR650L camshaft sprocket. Then swap over the 650L's electrical system and get a new light high output battery. Thats about it all it really takes.

It can be done many other ways to do this. Concider this post #1.

Using the XRL chassis is also an option. This is where the fun begins.

More to come...

I know I've brought this up more than once but I combined the XR650L bottom end with the XL600R top end in my project hybrid XL600. My problem was I didn't have enough battery power to spin it over with the high compression and no auto decomp.

Link; http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/503...#entry10309964
Old 12-13-2012, 07:56 PM   #6528
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracus124 View Post
Ok guys my vacation is coming up in a few months.

Option #1: Cash out my vacation and dump all that money into my XL600. Looking to upgrade suspension and dump the rest the money into the engine

Option #2: Take my paid two weeks and go on a good, long ride. Something worthy of a Ride Report.

If I take option one, I do not know when the next time I will be able to go on a ride of more than a day for a year. Still going to joyride, commute sometimes and do my usual atleast once a week offroad day though.

The suspension is crap on this bike stock but, thats just 'cause its old. and I seen the fork conversions in this thread and others and I think that would be the biggest improvement I can make for the bike.

Input plz?
I would take the trip and upgrade later.
The XL600 suspension is not going to be any good until you get a fork brace. Do that and you might not need to do anything more except a fluid change. Try 15W.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:04 PM   #6529
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,231
Crobox, your shop (and projects on your site) Rule (s)!! Can I stop by on my way cross-country?

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:17 PM   #6530
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracus124 View Post
Ok guys my vacation is coming up in a few months.

Option #1: Cash out my vacation and dump all that money into my XL600. Looking to upgrade suspension and dump the rest the money into the engine

Option #2: Take my paid two weeks and go on a good, long ride. Something worthy of a Ride Report.

If I take option one, I do not know when the next time I will be able to go on a ride of more than a day for a year. Still going to joyride, commute sometimes and do my usual atleast once a week offroad day though.

The suspension is crap on this bike stock but, thats just 'cause its old. and I seen the fork conversions in this thread and others and I think that would be the biggest improvement I can make for the bike.

Input plz?
Option #3: Go for a one week ride, tent camp and/or meet up with some fellow inmates is possible. You'll save some money, maybe connect some faces to screen names and probably have some great rides on different trails you've never seen before. Then relax for a week and enjoy some good beer while you figure out what upgrades to do with the left over money.

I'll gladly provide any input and help I can. I have built several XL600's over the years.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:29 PM   #6531
crobox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp View Post
Crobox, your shop (and projects on your site) Rule (s)!! Can I stop by on my way cross-country?
Of course, Zombie Stomp! Anytime. And thanks.
crobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:30 PM   #6532
crobox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Sometime yesterday I asked if anyone had experience and/or regrets about putting on a stator cover and gasket WITHOUT silicone... but I think the post got lost in the shuffle.

Anyone?
crobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:38 PM   #6533
cynicwanderer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
Hi, I assume with tachometer, you mean the RPM gauge (in german tachometer is the speedometer). I might have a mechanical tachometer from a Canadian XL600R in my junk box. I got it in a speedo/tach set. I liked the speedometer because it has all of the indicator lights and you don't need the silly light cluster. I can't use the tachometer, because it needs a mechanical drive from the camshaft, which none of our bikes have. it would work if you have a mechanical drive hookup. without the drive setup, you'd have to use an electronic tachometer. The Vapor from trailtech is a popular speedo/tach combo here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2h View Post
Have tried to find a thread on xl600r oil leakdown. My '86 which i have finally got running ( project!) after stator replacement wont show an oil level. Have filled with 2litres of oil as per this thread so i know its got some. Could someone help or direct me to a page? search dont seem to help much. Also does anyone have a tacho for this bike. Am in New Zealand and there does'nt seem to be one in captivity.
Thanks
M2H
cynicwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:44 PM   #6534
cynicwanderer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
those gaskets are meant to go on dry. you have to make really sure the surfaces are clean and flat. you are supposed to use a honing stone to finish them. the OEM gaskets have a synthetic binder, which will allow a good seal without RTV/silicone. some of the after market gaskets don't have the same binder, and it maybe necessary to use a thin layer of RTV/silicone.

Quote:
Sometime yesterday I asked if anyone had experience and/or regrets about putting on a stator cover and gasket WITHOUT silicone... but I think the post got lost in the shuffle.

Anyone?
cynicwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:12 AM   #6535
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Quote:

Anyone?
drip, drip, drip thats my complaint I have had a couple times(used gasket).

Old 12-14-2012, 02:14 AM   #6536
m2h
"Old guys rule"

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Don't know about tachs. Ours don't come with them.

Who has time to look at a tach??

Rev the piss out of it and shift.
Yeah i guess your right. Fussy old fart likes to have things that were there originallyThanks
m2h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:26 AM   #6537
m2h
"Old guys rule"

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicwanderer View Post
Hi, I assume with tachometer, you mean the RPM gauge (in german tachometer is the speedometer). I might have a mechanical tachometer from a Canadian XL600R in my junk box. I got it in a speedo/tach set. I liked the speedometer because it has all of the indicator lights and you don't need the silly light cluster. I can't use the tachometer, because it needs a mechanical drive from the camshaft, which none of our bikes have. it would work if you have a mechanical drive hookup. without the drive setup, you'd have to use an electronic tachometer. The Vapor from trailtech is a popular speedo/tach combo here.
Thanks for the reply.Yes mine has the mech. cable to drive it. According to local dealer he reckons my bike is an Italian job. I'll get the measurements and let you know. Is it better to arrange things via e mail for this so as noy to clutter the thread?
M2H
m2h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:07 AM   #6538
Schrauberklaus
***ifyer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2h View Post
Thanks for the reply.Yes mine has the mech. cable to drive it. According to local dealer he reckons my bike is an Italian job. I'll get the measurements and let you know. Is it better to arrange things via e mail for this so as noy to clutter the thread?
M2H
just see your Oil questions . There was a threat about Oil and the Problems of no Oil here
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=552341

How do you check the Oil level ? Do you know how the Oil circulation Work ?
Are all your Oil Filters clean , there are 3 in this Bike

The mechanical Rev Counter or speedometer was Standart on European XL / R .
Try E-Bay Germany
Honda XR 280 R Sumo 04 , Honda XR 250 Baja 98
Yamaha Speed MX ( 2 Stroke ) 01 ,CRF250L 13
Schrauberklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #6539
Carter Pewterschmidt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reposado1800 View Post
I would take the trip and upgrade later.
The XL600 suspension is not going to be any good until you get a fork brace. Do that and you might not need to do anything more except a fluid change. Try 15W.
That's the exact plan for my XL front end, along with a set of progressive springs. Eventually I may get a set of cartridge XR600 forks shortened and resprung, but my motor work needs to get done first.
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:23 AM   #6540
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
That's the exact plan for my XL front end, along with a set of progressive springs. Eventually I may get a set of cartridge XR600 forks shortened and resprung, but my motor work needs to get done first.

Use XR400 forks(better then xr600 forks) and a XRL upper triple to keep the key.