Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 08:28 PM   #7366
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reposado1800 View Post
Since my engine is out and waiting on the head, I cleaned the carburetors. Does anybody know exactly what the green crystalline stuff is?
Different carb, same stuff. Especially stuck to the floats. I know it is ethanol related but what is it?

Snot, crud. You chose. Time for the Pinesol soak.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:30 AM   #7367
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 754
Not necessarily ethanol related, I saw the same green crud many times even before ethanol fuel. I think the lack of fuel preservatives anymore causes that to happen a lot faster than in the past. Carbs used to winter over pretty well in the good old days.

Todays fuel deteriorates in 3 months time according to my fuel distributors. I have noticed on my bike that if I don't start it in a week or so due to inclement weather it is harder to start, 2 kicks or more. If ridden daily one kick is the rule.
davek181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:24 AM   #7368
Carter Pewterschmidt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,013
Quote:
Since my engine is out and waiting on the head, I cleaned the carburetors. Does anybody know exactly what the green crystalline stuff is?
That green color comes from seafoam. The fuel system treatment of the idiot.
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #7369
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
No seafoam went into these. It does clean off good with WD40 and a bit of scrubbing. It definitely clings to brass and the floats more than the bowl.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:58 PM   #7370
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Seafoam, Tune up in a can, Amsoil and others. All the same thing pretty much, hope in a can, but no substitute for the real thing.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:34 PM   #7371
Carter Pewterschmidt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
No seafoam went into these. It does clean off good with WD40 and a bit of scrubbing. It definitely clings to brass and the floats more than the bowl.
A little soak in lemon juice diluted with a bit of water can help clean up the brass pieces. Boiling them in that solution works well if they're really nasty. Warning for this trick is that the lemon juice is acidic so it will start breaking down the brass itself if left too long. If leaving soak cold 30 min or an hour works decent. If boiling only a few minutes.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:57 PM   #7372
Carter Pewterschmidt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davek181 View Post
Seafoam, Tune up in a can, Amsoil and others. All the same thing pretty much, hope in a can, but no substitute for the real thing.
Was once at a large supply store in a trashy rural town. Went to buy some carb cleaner and found that they had almost a hundred cans of that stuff on the shelf, half of it gone. Was not surprised.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:13 AM   #7373
davek181
Studly Adventurer

one of the worst hope in a can items ever made is A/C freon with leak sealer. Sells very well at the local auto parts stores. If we have any suspicion that a car has any sealant in it, we refuse to work on it since it can plug up our freon recycler.

So you not only fail to fix your A/C, you also render it untouchable by anyone that can.

Fancy labels and idiot kids behind the counter can be detrimental.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #7374
Carter Pewterschmidt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
one of the worst hope in a can items ever made is A/C freon with leak sealer. Sells very well at the local auto parts stores. If we have any suspicion that a car has any sealant in it, we refuse to work on it since it can plug up our freon recycler.

So you not only fail to fix your A/C, you also render it untouchable by anyone that can.

Fancy labels and idiot kids behind the counter can be detrimental.
Once did a head gasket job on an old Chrysler minivan for a customer who was very tight on money. Single Mom, Dad gave her the van so she could get her kids around. Got the job done, van ran great, handed it over to the customer in the middle of a ripe Wisconsin January. The next day we get a call saying the heat doesn't work. We get the van back in, run it, fan is blowing, but when we felt the lower heater hose it was stone cold. Clogged heater core. (Glad I didn't have to make the phone call) Then they pay us to do the heater core job, which for those who don't know is just about as expensive as a head gasket job, and when we get the core out we find that the inlet is plugged with little jelly like beads. Turns out it was a stop leak product that the father admitted to have previously poured into the coolant system, thus clogging the heater core himself. We still felt pretty bad for them.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:19 AM   #7375
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Quote:
Once did a head gasket job on an old Chrysler minivan for a customer who was very tight on money. Single Mom, Dad gave her the van so she could get her kids around. Got the job done, van ran great, handed it over to the customer in the middle of a ripe Wisconsin January. The next day we get a call saying the heat doesn't work. We get the van back in, run it, fan is blowing, but when we felt the lower heater hose it was stone cold. Clogged heater core. (Glad I didn't have to make the phone call) Then they pay us to do the heater core job, which for those who don't know is just about as expensive as a head gasket job, and when we get the core out we find that the inlet is plugged with little jelly like beads. Turns out it was a stop leak product that the father admitted to have previously poured into the coolant system, thus clogging the heater core himself. We still felt pretty bad for them.
Hahaha. I replaced a heater core for a college professor. He gave me a cherry pie in payment.
Air/oil cooled XL600's don't have those problems. You can actually sit around a running bike in the winter to keep warm like a campfire!
Old 04-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #7376
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Heater cores can be fun. When selling a heater core job and someone asks why it is so expensive I reply. "When they built the car they started with the heater core in the center of a room and added everything else around it." They get the idea then.

I had a guy plug a radiator on a rabbit once with aluma-seal, no flow at all. You could pull off the bottom hose and the radiator stayed full.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #7377
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

I ordered the swing arm bearing rebuild kit. I might as well do it while the engine is out. I imagine it is going to be a heck of a mess in there with all that grease. Probably enough grease to lube TWO gut wagons. Man I hate old grease. It gets everywhere.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:35 PM   #7378
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,107
Good fucking luck getting the old collars out of the swing arm.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #7379
doc.heckle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
I would rather find a swing arm full of old grease rather than no grease !!
doc.heckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #7380
Carter Pewterschmidt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Heater cores can be fun. When selling a heater core job and someone asks why it is so expensive I reply. "When they built the car they started with the heater core in the center of a room and added everything else around it." They get the idea then.

I had a guy plug a radiator on a rabbit once with aluma-seal, no flow at all. You could pull off the bottom hose and the radiator stayed full.