ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 05:23 PM   #7426
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!
 
Reposado1800's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: 5th and Main
Oddometer: 5,737
The front lower slider is unavailable.
__________________
Hate gets you nowhere.
Tequila is a weapon of mass destruction.
Reposado1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:59 PM   #7427
GSBruce
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: The Woodlands, Texas
Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reposado1800 View Post
The front lower slider is unavailable.
Try hotfootmoto.net . They say they have a reproduction lower chain slider block for $19.95 - w/free shipping. It looks like the right thing according to the photo.

If you buy one, Reposado, please let us know if it is the correct item. hotfootmoto.net says they have the upper (wraps around front of swingarm) and lower rear slider/chain guide as well.

This is the first time I have come up with this lower front chain slider block and I have searched hard for this item in the past. There is also a worn-out, gunge-encrusted one available on e-bay with the metal parts right now.
__________________
2000 BMW R1150GS / 1983 Honda XL600R

GSBruce screwed with this post 04-29-2013 at 07:08 PM
GSBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:50 AM   #7428
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!
 
Reposado1800's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: 5th and Main
Oddometer: 5,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBruce View Post
Try hotfootmoto.net . They say they have a reproduction lower chain slider block for $19.95 - w/free shipping. It looks like the right thing according to the photo.

If you buy one, Reposado, please let us know if it is the correct item. hotfootmoto.net says they have the upper (wraps around front of swingarm) and lower rear slider/chain guide as well.

This is the first time I have come up with this lower front chain slider block and I have searched hard for this item in the past. There is also a worn-out, gunge-encrusted one available on e-bay with the metal parts right now.
Nice find! I'll order one. I am not sure what the other arc shaped rub block is for. I have never seen one on the XL600.
__________________
Hate gets you nowhere.
Tequila is a weapon of mass destruction.
Reposado1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:35 AM   #7429
Carter Pewterschmidt
Studly Adventurer
 
Carter Pewterschmidt's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Milwaukee
Oddometer: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBruce View Post
Try hotfootmoto.net . They say they have a reproduction lower chain slider block for $19.95 - w/free shipping. It looks like the right thing according to the photo.

If you buy one, Reposado, please let us know if it is the correct item. hotfootmoto.net says they have the upper (wraps around front of swingarm) and lower rear slider/chain guide as well.

This is the first time I have come up with this lower front chain slider block and I have searched hard for this item in the past. There is also a worn-out, gunge-encrusted one available on e-bay with the metal parts right now.
I had an old spare one, washed it squeaky clean, dropped it onto the concrete floor and it shattered. After that I don't put much stock in old ones, material must get ridged like that over the years.

So I bought the one from Hotfootmoto and just installed it last week. Was a bit skeptical for it being an Ebay only item, but I was impressed. It fits up fine, little sleeve even presses through nice. Material might not be the same as stock, but we'll see how it takes the chain rub once my bike is back together.
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:42 PM   #7430
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!
 
Reposado1800's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: 5th and Main
Oddometer: 5,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
I had an old spare one, washed it squeaky clean, dropped it onto the concrete floor and it shattered. After that I don't put much stock in old ones, material must get ridged like that over the years.

So I bought the one from Hotfootmoto and just installed it last week. Was a bit skeptical for it being an Ebay only item, but I was impressed. It fits up fine, little sleeve even presses through nice. Material might not be the same as stock, but we'll see how it takes the chain rub once my bike is back together.
The OE slider crumbles like a fudge brownie.
My cylinder head is supposed to be done tomorrow and then a week to get it back UPS. I want to have everything ready by the time it shows up.
The next items on the long term list are new 21 and 18 excel rims, race tech emulators and one of those Wilbers shocks with remote hydraulic preload. Everybody needs goals.
__________________
Hate gets you nowhere.
Tequila is a weapon of mass destruction.
Reposado1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:04 PM   #7431
Irksomeonan
honda xl 600 pharaoh
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: London uk
Oddometer: 1
1987 xl 600 pharaoh for sale!

I'm about to put a Honda Xl600 pharaoh for sale. One of the few left. This is 1987 in serviceable condition, mot oct, 10 months tax. Running, can be driven away. Any interest? I'm in London
Irksomeonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:12 PM   #7432
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!
 
Reposado1800's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: 5th and Main
Oddometer: 5,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irksomeonan View Post
I'm about to put a Honda Xl600 pharaoh for sale. One of the few left. This is 1987 in serviceable condition, mot oct, 10 months tax. Running, can be driven away. Any interest? I'm in London
Post some pictures. Those look great.
__________________
Hate gets you nowhere.
Tequila is a weapon of mass destruction.
Reposado1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:17 PM   #7433
Carter Pewterschmidt
Studly Adventurer
 
Carter Pewterschmidt's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Milwaukee
Oddometer: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reposado1800 View Post
The OE slider crumbles like a fudge brownie.
My cylinder head is supposed to be done tomorrow and then a week to get it back UPS. I want to have everything ready by the time it shows up.
The next items on the long term list are new 21 and 18 excel rims, race tech emulators and one of those Wilbers shocks with remote hydraulic preload. Everybody needs goals.
Wheels are pricey to build, but sure look nice when they're done. New bearings, spokes, powder coated hubs, and a nice fresh coat of gold anodizing.



As far as suspension goes I was going to go with the emulators and a works rear shock but I think I'm trying a different route. I tried to get fork springs for the stock front end and I didn't have much luck. Since the stock 39mm front end sucks anyway I then dug out a set of XR600 forks looked into getting them reworked. After Race Tech sucked at returning my emails I talked to Lindemann Engineering and Eric the new owner about what's best and when I asked about buying a set of emulators to have him install he wasn't to hip on the idea. He suggested that when the forks are in his hands he will re drill the dampening rods valves and that way I can adjust them by swapping fork oil types. About $400 for all that work which includes the rebuild and a new set of springs. Only about 60% more than the cost of emulators and I got a poppin fresh set of forks properly sprung. You can also get various different kinds of forks from other Honda bikes off of ebay and throw some springs in them.

As for the rear I'm not sure yet but I may either have an early XR600R shock rebuilt and resprung, or maybe a similar vintage CR250/500 rear. I think the Showa shock Honda used was a pretty decent piece considering aftermarket replacements weren't very popular. Both the XR and CR are fully adjustable, the CR has a 44mm valve vs the 36 or 37 of the XR. If I can have one shortened and built to spec that's probably the way I'll go. I haven't however discussed a price for such an operation so it may all hinge on that.

I came up with all this from doing various internet searches and I reading over and over again that before all else to try getting your suspension properly setup first before throwing lots of money around. By that logic a set of halfway decent junkyard Honda parts re built and sprung to my specifications should be miles ahead of what I have now and won't break the bank.
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:12 PM   #7434
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!
 
Reposado1800's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: 5th and Main
Oddometer: 5,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
Wheels are pricey to build, but sure look nice when they're done. New bearings, spokes, powder coated hubs, and a nice fresh coat of gold anodizing.



As far as suspension goes I was going to go with the emulators and a works rear shock but I think I'm trying a different route. I tried to get fork springs for the stock front end and I didn't have much luck. Since the stock 39mm front end sucks anyway I then dug out a set of XR600 forks looked into getting them reworked. After Race Tech sucked at returning my emails I talked to Lindemann Engineering and Eric the new owner about what's best and when I asked about buying a set of emulators to have him install he wasn't to hip on the idea. He suggested that when the forks are in his hands he will re drill the dampening rods valves and that way I can adjust them by swapping fork oil types. About $400 for all that work which includes the rebuild and a new set of springs. Only about 60% more than the cost of emulators and I got a poppin fresh set of forks properly sprung. You can also get various different kinds of forks from other Honda bikes off of ebay and throw some springs in them.

As for the rear I'm not sure yet but I may either have an early XR600R shock rebuilt and resprung, or maybe a similar vintage CR250/500 rear. I think the Showa shock Honda used was a pretty decent piece considering aftermarket replacements weren't very popular. Both the XR and CR are fully adjustable, the CR has a 44mm valve vs the 36 or 37 of the XR. If I can have one shortened and built to spec that's probably the way I'll go. I haven't however discussed a price for such an operation so it may all hinge on that.

I came up with all this from doing various internet searches and I reading over and over again that before all else to try getting your suspension properly setup first before throwing lots of money around. By that logic a set of halfway decent junkyard Honda parts re built and sprung to my specifications should be miles ahead of what I have now and won't break the bank.
I replaced my fork springs back in the 90's when aftermarket ones were available. I also did emulators on my XT225 and they work really good. The drilling of the damping holes make it a permanent committment.
Those wheels look really sweet. I will probably take the plunge and send them off to Woody's.
__________________
Hate gets you nowhere.
Tequila is a weapon of mass destruction.
Reposado1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:11 PM   #7435
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer
 
brucifer's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Eureka, Ca.
Oddometer: 2,216
Your wheels look great, Carter.

I e-mailed Race Tech about doing up the suspension on my '81 XR500 and have not received a response either.
__________________
2005 KTM 525EXC-2000 Buell M2 Cyclone-1996 XR600R-Plated 1995 XR600R-1993 Kawasaki KX500-1984 Honda XL600R/XR650L Hybrid-1984 Yamaha TT600L-1980 Honda CB750F
brucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:35 AM   #7436
JimRidesThis
Local celebrity
 
JimRidesThis's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Cumbria, UK
Oddometer: 227
Those wheels look great.
It's probably me, or the angle the photo's taken from, but the front looks like it's laced up wrong.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
JimRidesThis

1995 R1100GS aka "Herr Flick"
1985 XL600R aka "Tamworth"
JimRidesThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:53 AM   #7437
lookfar
from the land of OZ
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Cairns, FNQ
Oddometer: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRidesThis View Post
Those wheels look great.
It's probably me, or the angle the photo's taken from, but the front looks like it's laced up wrong.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You got me thinking, so I just checked mine..It's the angle the pic was taken from...
__________________
Stu in FNQ
The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Growing old is mandatory... growing up is optional.
1985 XL250R
1985 XL600R 1988 XR600
lookfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:56 AM   #7438
Carter Pewterschmidt
Studly Adventurer
 
Carter Pewterschmidt's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Milwaukee
Oddometer: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucifer View Post
Your wheels look great, Carter.

I e-mailed Race Tech about doing up the suspension on my '81 XR500 and have not received a response either.
Thanks.

I originally sent an email to the website address and I never got a response. Then I even talked to race tech about the fork springs at the Chicago bike show. This guy named Rob or whatever gave me his card and told me to email him in a week, when I did I got a response a day later from some girl named Michelle and 4 weeks later of back and fourth and me having to re-forward emails they finally told me they couldn't get any. Then when I asked about getting my XR forks built I got no response. Do I really have to beg you for your business?

When I worked in customer service I held myself to a decent level of professionalism. For one I'd never personally hand out my card then have someone else answer my email. What a Micky Mouse operation...
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:10 AM   #7439
Homerb
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Toukley NSW Australia
Oddometer: 419
Well l rebuilt the front brake caliper today, fitted it, bled it, and decided to take the bike for a few laps around the block before the rego inspection on friday, to bed in the pads.
Only thing is, halfway around the block, while acelerating, the engine goes clunk, stops suddenly and locks up the rear wheel! Pull the clutch and roll home. At first l thought l'd seized the piston, but on investigation the piston is free but something in the head is hitting locking up the engine. Not happy, and sounds expensive. Bike has new camchain, and tensioner spring. New Wiseco piston, new Kibblewhite springs and valves, new OEM valve guides.
I loosened the valve cover thinking l might have broken the camshaft but it looks fine. Not looking forward to pulling the head tomorrow and what it will reveal.
Expecting bent valves at least. When l replaced the camchain, l didnt replace the camchain sprockets as they looked fine, and lm thinking l may live to regret it.
Homerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:25 AM   #7440
Carter Pewterschmidt
Studly Adventurer
 
Carter Pewterschmidt's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Milwaukee
Oddometer: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by davek181 View Post
I had to repair the cylinder head bolt hole on my cylinder too. I went to my industrial supplier and after some searching we found extra long heli-coils available. Otherwise they are only 12mm length.
Found some 20mm ones from McMaster Carr. The threads are supposed to be M8 x 1.25 correct?
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014