mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,642
Yep

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:36 AM   #7442
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
Thanks.

I originally sent an email to the website address and I never got a response. Then I even talked to race tech about the fork springs at the Chicago bike show. This guy named Rob or whatever gave me his card and told me to email him in a week, when I did I got a response a day later from some girl named Michelle and 4 weeks later of back and fourth and me having to re-forward emails they finally told me they couldn't get any. Then when I asked about getting my XR forks built I got no response. Do I really have to beg you for your business?

When I worked in customer service I held myself to a decent level of professionalism. For one I'd never personally hand out my card then have someone else answer my email. What a Micky Mouse operation...
I would bet all their money is made in Motocross. This old stuff is a waste of time for them. I went with Cogent Dynamics for my XT225. I would bet Rick could match up a set of heavier springs if you sent one in to compare with. But it is water under the bridge at this point.
The progressive suspension fork springs are good. XR's only even states they sell a shock spring.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:00 PM   #7443
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

My Engine Dynamics rebuilt head is done and on its way home! Thanks Steve!
Old 05-01-2013, 09:30 PM   #7444
Homerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Well heads off and alls ok. Clutch cover off and again all ok.
Next step alternator cover, flywheel and starter motor and gears. If nothing wrong there it looks like the engines coming out again to split the cases. Has to be crankshaft or balancer gear failure. Not happy. If the crankshaft is busted, l may have to part the bike out because l dont like my chances getting another.
Homerb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:09 AM   #7445
lookfar
from the land of OZ

Oddometer: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerb View Post
Well heads off and alls ok. Clutch cover off and again all ok.
Next step alternator cover, flywheel and starter motor and gears. If nothing wrong there it looks like the engines coming out again to split the cases. Has to be crankshaft or balancer gear failure. Not happy. If the crankshaft is busted, l may have to part the bike out because l dont like my chances getting another.
Hey Homer check your PMs for crank info.
1985 XL250R
1985 XL600R 1988 XR600
lookfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:30 AM   #7446
lookfar
from the land of OZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBruce View Post
Try hotfootmoto.net . They say they have a reproduction lower chain slider block for $19.95 - w/free shipping. It looks like the right thing according to the photo.

If you buy one, Reposado, please let us know if it is the correct item. hotfootmoto.net says they have the upper (wraps around front of swingarm) and lower rear slider/chain guide as well.

This is the first time I have come up with this lower front chain slider block and I have searched hard for this item in the past. There is also a worn-out, gunge-encrusted one available on e-bay with the metal parts right now.

$USD 52.00 shipping to me here...WTF???

1985 XL250R
1985 XL600R 1988 XR600
Old 05-02-2013, 04:50 AM   #7447
Homerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Lookfar, got your pm. I saw that crank on ebay, but my bike is the xl600rmg with electric start. It has a different crank to the xl600r unfortunately.
Rang Honda today and OEM cranks are still available for $1100.00
Just pulled the barrel, removed the piston, the flywheel, the starter motor, etc. I'll pull the motor and split the cases tomorrow, but l think l know whats happened.
It looks like the balancer gear on the crankshaft has slipped allowing the balancer gear to hit the crank. It stopped the motor dead while l was riding it. I cant see any damage to the cases. Ive never heard of the balancer gear slipping on the crank before. Might have to look into getting it welded onto the crankshaft.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:09 AM   #7448
Stretchah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Very nice wheels Carter - good job :)
85 Vespa PK135
Stretchah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:26 AM   #7449
lookfar
from the land of OZ

Quote:
Thanks Lookfar, got your pm. I saw that crank on ebay, but my bike is the xl600rmg with electric start. It has a different crank to the xl600r unfortunately.
Just pulled the barrel, removed the piston, the flywheel, the starter motor, etc. I'll pull the motor and split the cases tomorrow, but l think l know whats happened.
It looks like the balancer gear on the crankshaft has slipped allowing the balancer gear to hit the crank. It stopped the motor dead while l was riding it. I cant see any damage to the cases. Ive never heard of the balancer gear slipping on the crank before. Might have to look into getting it welded onto the crankshaft.
These guys were wrecking a RMG a while ago, might be worthwwhile to give them a ring?
http://stores.ebay.com.au/JDK-Motorcycle-Wreckers
1985 XL250R
1985 XL600R 1988 XR600
Old 05-02-2013, 07:29 AM   #7450
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Quote:
That would have exploded the cases. Probably a bolt got dropped inside and jammed some gears.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #7451
Carter Pewterschmidt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretchah View Post
Very nice wheels Carter - good job :)
Thanks for the compliments everyone. The build was an interesting mini project as I've never even adjusted a spoke on anything before. Lacing them took forever to figure out, but I did it in the living room all while spending "Quality Time" with the missus.
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #7452
Carter Pewterschmidt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 946
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookfar View Post
$USD 52.00 shipping to me here...WTF???

I could buy it myself and ship it out to you for $45 USD total.
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #7453
Homerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reposado1800 View Post
That would have exploded the cases
Thats what I thought too. Especially the way the engine went from running hard to stopped in a fraction of a second. I can't see any damage to the cases so far, but will know more when I get into it later today.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:55 AM   #7454
Homerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Well the cases are apart and its not real good news. A mysterious chunk of aluminium got wedged between the gears on the crankshaft and the balancer.

As this aluminium was chewed up buy the balancer gears, its caused the balancer drive gear on the crankshaft to slip and rotate about 100 degrees from where it should be. This caused the balancer and crankshaft to collide, effectively seizing the engine. The hole in the gear should line up with the crank pin!

Somehow I've avoided any obvious damage to the cases.

Unfortunately it feels like the big end bearing is buggered, and it was only one hour old! I'll have my crankshaft guy look at it on Monday, hopefully its not bent, and just needs another rod kit fitted, or maybe just a new bearing if I'm lucky.

If the crank is screwed, so am I, at $1100 for a replacement!

The other problem is the bottom of the cylinder sleeve has a big chunk broken out of it. Not sure how that happened. Luckily I've got a spare sleeve which I fitted to the barrel this arvo. I'll just have to get it bored to suit the oversize piston.

My biggest concern is where the hell did the chunk of aluminium come from??? Ive checked every piece of the engine from the valve cover down, and I can't for the life of me figure out its origin. This worries me, cos what else am I missing, and I sure dont want to rebuild this thing again only for it to go bang a second time.

Heres a couple of pics of whats left of the mystery piece. Any ideas???
Maybe we could start an XL600 guessing competition? Name this fragment!!!

Old 05-03-2013, 03:26 AM   #7455
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,050
Now that's some shit right there

I'm curious as hell what that chunk is. Where's MCMA??

Anyway, my bike has been hard to start last couple days, then today it just wouldn't start. Checked sparky, it looked fine,good color, nice blue spark. I put a new spark plug in anyway and kicked it over, started right up, cool! I went around town and some trails for about 30 mins with no problems, ran excellent as it should. Get home and I try to start it again, nothing. I then accused my cheap stator, but everything electric all read excellent on the multimeter. I hope my carb(s) are just dirty, I Knew the bike was coming up on a carb cleaning ~1K miles, I figured I could atleast get there before I'd get any problems. Gonna pull them tomorrow and check my valves while they soak. Sorry guys, mainly just typed this up to keep my thoughts somewhere

RIDE RED!

RFVC600R screwed with this post 05-03-2013 at 04:01 AM
RFVC600R is online now   Reply With Quote