Uncivil to idiots.

Oddometer: 10,806
No, meant davmo. K?
UncleDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:36 PM   #752
God of Speed
Lost when found..........

Oddometer: 1,058
guys check this ride report out, he did several OZ trips in the 80s on his xl and i recently purchased my 21 lt dakar tank from him.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492155
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ
God of Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:32 AM   #753
scrminbanshee
Awsome

Oddometer: 801
THat is so cool....How did u manage to get that tank....better post up pics when it is put on...gonna look real nice
Old 08-06-2009, 11:01 PM   #754
uniter
anti-n00b

Oddometer: 41
Question Jetting range???

Hey guys, I've been searching my eyes out all over the net about jetting and keep coming up with conflicting numbers from people who don't post their altitude.

I just put an XR's only pipe on my bike and just rebuilt the top end with a Wiseco 11:1 piston. it also has a UNI air filter.

I'm trying to get some jetting guidelines before I start this thing up, I really don't want it to run lean. I also want to place just one order of jets. I was thinking of ordering a 65, 68, and 70 for pilots and 120-128 for mains but have been seeing people using jet sizes up to 136!

I live on the St. Lawrence river near Lake Ontario and am maybe 50 or 100 feet above sea level.

If anyone could guide me with their experience as to what range I should order it would mean the world to me.
uniter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:45 AM   #755
JStory
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,408
I ordered an FMF Q muffler last night.

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr Samuel Johnson.
JStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:43 PM   #756
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStory
I ordered an FMF Q muffler last night.
Looks cool. Wanna throw your 'trapp "away" now? Let us know how the jetting goes.

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:52 PM   #757
gaspasser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
jetting my xl

hay entier, I have a 86xl600r 40 over 11 1/2 to 1 wiseco,xrs only muffler,uni filter,opened up airbox 3'x4',nology high output coil and wire. messed with the jets,running lean,put it on a dyno. came up with 142pri 140sec stock needles,1/16 O ring,one washer, 2 1/4 turns out fuel mixture screw. running strong, temps 50s/80s. oil temp 210/240. oil cooler,amsoil 10/40 synthetic, 0-1800 elevation. sunoco 93 oct. hope this helps
gaspasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:10 PM   #758
JStory
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp
Looks cool. Wanna throw your 'trapp "away" now? Let us know how the jetting goes.
Its running pretty good with the Supertrapp(eight disks, no packing, freaking loud). If anything, the Q will probably be more restrictive. I'll keep ya posted.

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr Samuel Johnson.
JStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:23 PM   #759
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspasser
hay entier, I have a 86xl600r 40 over 11 1/2 to 1 wiseco,xrs only muffler,uni filter,opened up airbox 3'x4',nology high output coil and wire. messed with the jets,running lean,put it on a dyno. came up with 142pri 140sec stock needles,1/16 O ring,one washer, 2 1/4 turns out fuel mixture screw. running strong, temps 50s/80s. oil temp 210/240. oil cooler,amsoil 10/40 synthetic, 0-1800 elevation. sunoco 93 oct. hope this helps
What did you mean about the "1/16 o ring" part? And the washer- is that shimming one of the needles? I have one washer under my primary needle back from the first time I had it apart. I am one of the many with very little carb knowledge, other than clean & rebuild...

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:12 AM   #760
God of Speed
Lost when found..........

Oddometer: 1,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniter
Hey guys, I've been searching my eyes out all over the net about jetting and keep coming up with conflicting numbers from people who don't post their altitude.

I just put an XR's only pipe on my bike and just rebuilt the top end with a Wiseco 11:1 piston. it also has a UNI air filter.

I'm trying to get some jetting guidelines before I start this thing up, I really don't want it to run lean. I also want to place just one order of jets. I was thinking of ordering a 65, 68, and 70 for pilots and 120-128 for mains but have been seeing people using jet sizes up to 136!

I live on the St. Lawrence river near Lake Ontario and am maybe 50 or 100 feet above sea level.

If anyone could guide me with their experience as to what range I should order it would mean the world to me.
just remember that honda had them jetted lean by about 5-10 units from what is perfect at stock for some crazy emmision laws, my bike is dead stock but the jets are 125 primary and 120 secondary. in australia they are supposed to be 118 and 115.

my pilots are the original except wound out a bit to be lean so that hot starting isnt too hard. last time i checked the plug it was B-E-A-utiful after 5000kms with those jets.

i guess 136 is for a highly modded motor so you need to decide how modded yours is and order accordingly, from what youve said there i would suggest between 130 and 125?

good jets really make this bike show its real colours. no flat spots, just good old fashion grunt.
-
'85 XL600R-L-M-PDGSAZ
God of Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:24 PM   #761
gaspasser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
The guy with the dyno gave me two rubber o rings 1/16 thick and two #3 flat washers. put in both carbs,washer on bottom,than o ring under clip. running it about a week, all this f----n rain in upstate N.Y. sucks
gaspasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:45 PM   #762
uniter
anti-n00b

Oddometer: 41
Ya, no kidding about the rain. I'm just across the border to your north and this is by far the most wet summer I have ever seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspasser
Wowzers 142/140!! That's crazy high. I hope I don't have to go that high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterscm
just remember that honda had them jetted lean by about 5-10 units from what is perfect at stock for some crazy emmision laws, my bike is dead stock but the jets are 125 primary and 120 secondary. in australia they are supposed to be 118 and 115.

my pilots are the original except wound out a bit to be lean so that hot starting isnt too hard. last time i checked the plug it was B-E-A-utiful after 5000kms with those jets.

i guess 136 is for a highly modded motor so you need to decide how modded yours is and order accordingly, from what youve said there i would suggest between 130 and 125?

good jets really make this bike show its real colours. no flat spots, just good old fashion grunt.
I just ordered the whole range between 120 and 135. I'm going to start with 128/125 and see how that treats it.

Thanks for the responses.
uniter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:28 PM   #763
rickjames
RIP rickjames.

Oddometer: 322
I've just finished a rebuild on my 83 XL600R
What it looked like prior to the rebuild. (was trying to do it as cheap as possible because I bought the bike for $1500 and it gave me 3 years of good service minus a charging issue)

during

And I don't have any pics of after yet.

First I'm not a mechanic and it was my first rebuild.

The plan was to just do Valve Stem Seals and one thing led to another and then discovered the play in the rod bearing was huge so bottom end came in (new Hot Rod was the cheapest way to go).

Cylinder & piston was O/S but was within tollerence so left it with a hone.

New cam chain tensioner was needed as the arm was almost gone.

I also had to machine the head as headbolts of wrong threads and sizes were just thrown in.

I just got the carbys serviced and am going to put them back on this week because after the rebuild the bike wouldn't idle and everytime I cracked the throttle just died. I also noticed I'm still leaking oil from somewhere and have to find out where. May just be a side cover.

Bike has never charged and replaced regulator but still a problem.

I'm also having a few probs with getting the kick starter just right it seemed to spring back alot better before and any advise on putting the carby on and initial starting (an easy way, like just leave airbox off to start with.)

Has anyone run pod filters instead of the airbox and was it any better?
As you probably know them airbox tubes are almost impossible to get on with no air leaks.

As always what starts as a small cheap job has just got out of control and you only know half of it .

It was my first bike and am looking at keeping it for a while and when I get sick of it it'll probably go to my brother.

Thanks in advance guys
rickjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:12 AM   #764
vander
full-time dreamer

Oddometer: 909
I saw this in Barcelona last week:

Old 08-11-2009, 06:54 AM   #765
mrfixit54016
Wisconsin Dual Sporter

Oddometer: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickjames
I've just finished a rebuild on my 83 XL600R

I also noticed I'm still leaking oil from somewhere and have to find out where. May just be a side cover.

Bike has never charged and replaced regulator but still a problem.

I'm also having a few probs with getting the kick starter just right it seemed to spring back alot better before and any advise on putting the carby on and initial starting (an easy way, like just leave airbox off to start with.)

Thanks in advance guys

I just went through almost the same deal with my bike.

The oil leak may simply be your drain plug on the left side of the engine by the foot shifter. Make sure you get a fiber drain plug washer and put it on there. It cleared mine right up. Another tip is to use a very thin coat of Hondabond or Threebond on your gaskets. Don't use RTV. The Hondabond is simply a miracle product.

The charging issue is your stator. Call Ricky Stator and spend $130 for a new one. It will be the best money spent on your XL. Almost everyone on this thread will agree with that...

The kickstarter is almost trickier than the cam chain tensioner! Read the manual carefully about 12 times to try and grasp what they are instructing you to do. It won't make sense the first time you read it, but it works.

Good Luck.

-Eric
1983 XL100S
1985 ATC250ES
mrfixit54016 is offline   Reply With Quote