Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 03:06 AM   #7666
Homerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
If it helps, my XL600RMG actually runs a cdi from NX650.
Runs fine.
Homerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:04 AM   #7667
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 791
I think any 600 CDI with the same plug is compatible. I have a "performance" one in mine that I bought years ago. I couldn't tell any difference in performance either, but I think it listed XR 88 on for fitment.
davek181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:22 AM   #7668
transalper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
350 ready for a long weekend of exploring.

Sent from mobile device. Pardon the brevity.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:04 AM   #7669
Carter Pewterschmidt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,041
^ The TCI rack with those pelican bags looks pretty professional, must be some good exploring on MN. The only thing I explored there was the Mall and a Juicy Luicy. Next time I'll hit the Spam museum lol
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #7670
ret1614
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
That's a pretty sweet rack setup... I've been considering one for a gas can...
But, CDI first. How much different is an XL600RMG? Isn't it pretty much a different trim package with a slightly different engine?
ret1614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #7671
transalper
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
^ The TCI rack with those pelican bags looks pretty professional, must be some good exploring on MN. The only thing I explored there was the Mall and a Juicy Luicy. Next time I'll hit the Spam museum lol
Lol. Those are some MN highlights! Definitely hit Matt's for the juicy Lucy. :)

Most of the exploring done with this rig in 2013 will be in the chequamegon in WI and UP of MI. :)

Old 05-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #7672
Carter Pewterschmidt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by transalper View Post
Lol. Those are some MN highlights! Definitely hit Matt's for the juicy Lucy. :)
Got mine from the 5-8 club, I don't know if they'll even let me into Matt's anymore.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:34 PM   #7673
Homerb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by ret1614 View Post
But, CDI first. How much different is an XL600RMG? Isn't it pretty much a different trim package with a slightly different engine?
Yep different cosmetics and plastics and an XR600 electric start motor only made in '86 & '87.

Lots of parts are interchangeable though. Mine has a CDI from an NX650 bought from a wreckers. It still has NX650 on it in crayon. Ran fine, until the engine blew uo. Not CDI related. Picking up the rebuilt crankshaft today, then putting it all back together again.

Homerb screwed with this post 05-20-2013 at 07:20 PM
Homerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:37 PM   #7674
transalper
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ret1614 View Post
Thanks. The rear rack is very beefy. I had to trim off a couple supurfelous tabs to accommodate the pelicans, but it was pretty easy. Used some happy trail mounting pucks.

I do plan to add some reinforcement brackets to beef up the pannier racks.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:35 AM   #7675
davek181
Studly Adventurer

new legs

Just put new front forks on the piggie. CR125 USD's. I had previously had XR400 forks but one had a bad fork seal and I had the accumulated the necessary parts for the CR swap so...

I have only ridden about 100 miles, so no formal report yet. I need to hit some gravel roads and play with clickers and fork height. Sag is right so my ghetto fork spring cut/stiffen seems to be good.

Initial feeling is rigidity. Front end seems more connected to the road. Before steering inputs seemed to be more of a suggestion, now it follows orders better. Can't wait to find some dirt to throw at them and see how that works.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:47 AM   #7676
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by davek181 View Post
Just put new front forks on the piggie. CR125 USD's. I had previously had XR400 forks but one had a bad fork seal and I had the accumulated the necessary parts for the CR swap so...

I have only ridden about 100 miles, so no formal report yet. I need to hit some gravel roads and play with clickers and fork height. Sag is right so my ghetto fork spring cut/stiffen seems to be good.

Initial feeling is rigidity. Front end seems more connected to the road. Before steering inputs seemed to be more of a suggestion, now it follows orders better. Can't wait to find some dirt to throw at them and see how that works.
You pointed something out very important. The stock forks flex horribly. A fork brace should be required. With that in place it feels like it should.
How are you running the speedometer with the USD forks?
Old 05-21-2013, 07:48 AM   #7677
Carter Pewterschmidt
Beastly Adventurer

^Very hot rod, I'm surprised that those forks have a tab to hold the speedo gearbox in place.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:31 AM   #7678
davek181
Studly Adventurer

Two good points noted. I did have a brace on my 400 forks yet these feel tighter yet. I did like the 400 forks and had to really convince myself to try these because of that. They are feeling better as I ride more, partly due to the fact that I am also breaking the front tire back in. I reversed direction on it when I did the swap due to trailing wear from braking. I am also playing with the settings some too.

As far as the wheel and speedo tab go it is truly a frankenbike adventure. I am an eBay junkie for sure and have been accumulating stuff as I go. The front wheel and disk is XR250 with bearings and spacer swapped to match custom axle. The speedo drive is XR650L. The fork happened to have a boss for a bolt that the fork protectors attach to and it happened to be in a very good spot to locate the speedo drive. If not, I was prepared to fabricate something to hold it.

All in all, the swap went pretty easy since I had done all the engineering first, or so I thought. There were only a couple of minor points I hadn't figured out yet, but the whole deal really only took a couple of hours once I committed myself to the task.

davek181 screwed with this post 05-21-2013 at 09:40 AM
Old 05-21-2013, 08:36 AM   #7679
davek181
Studly Adventurer

More frankenbike data. XR650L caliper and on CR mount and CR brake hose with 250 disk and original XL master. Front brakes are improved over the old setup due to larger pads.

Actually I could go on quite extensively on the frankenbike theme, the rest of the bike qualifies in various ways but I will stick to the forks for now. When someone asks me what year or model my bike is, I have to ask them what part of it they are looking at to answer the question honestly.

davek181 screwed with this post 05-21-2013 at 09:37 AM
Old 05-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #7680
Carter Pewterschmidt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davek181 View Post
Actually I could go on quite extensively on the frankenbike theme, the rest of the bike qualifies in various ways but I will stick to the forks for now. When someone asks me what year or model my bike is, I have to ask them what part of it they are looking at to answer the question honestly.
"I'd get it one piece at a time
And it wouldn't cost me a dime
You'll know it's me when I come through your town
I'm gonna ride around in style
I'm gonna drive everybody wild
'Cause I'll have the only one there is a round."